Can't we just use a MiniSD Wifi for our Blackberry Storms without any problems? I'm brand new to Smartphones and Blackberry, but I see this as a win win. I can't understand why people worry about the exclusion of Wifi if technology like this exists as something to fall back on.
    11-21-08 10:51 AM
    I don't think MicroSD cards have that capability.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 10:53 AM
    Here is a Mini SD wifi on amazon
    \Amazon.com: New Generation Spectec Mini SD WiFi WLAN (802.11b) Card for PDA, Pocket PC, Smartphones and Laptops: Cell Phones & Service

The micros are still being developed... according to this article it should be ready by the end of the year..

Spectec microSD WiFi Card
    Last edited by paynetrain27; 11-21-08 at 11:01 AM.
    11-21-08 10:58 AM
    Sweet....that would be pretty awesome to see if it actually works. But still wifi is not a deal breaker.
    11-21-08 11:09 AM
    Ain't gona happen for two reasons. One, there's no drivers that the Blackberry platform has to initiate it and certianly no OS support for it like WinMO does. Second, if you take the battery cover off you'll see that the cover had a small metal box looking thing right where the media card goes. This box holds the media card in place so that it doesn't slide out of it's slot. The WIFIMicroSDs are longer so, this holder box would get in the way of the card fitting properly.
    11-21-08 11:11 AM
    Thanks for helping me understand it a little better. That's too bad that the software can't tap into this and how the hardware won't allow the card to fit. This is by no means a deal breaker for me at all! I'm just looking into what options I have to maximize the use of my new smartphone while I try to catch up with everyone on Crackberry!
    Truly thanks for posting and helping out as fast as you guys did.
    11-21-08 03:35 PM
    Ain't gona happen for two reasons. One, there's no drivers that the Blackberry platform has to initiate it and certianly no OS support for it like WinMO does. Second, if you take the battery cover off you'll see that the cover had a small metal box looking thing right where the media card goes. This box holds the media card in place so that it doesn't slide out of it's slot. The WIFIMicroSDs are longer so, this holder box would get in the way of the card fitting properly.

mmmm....hypothetically speaking...could someone not "hack" the OS to get it to initiate the card (I'm sure there are all KINDS of smart people with the kind of time on their hands to make this happen) AND modify the "box looking thing" slightly to allow for the card to fit????
    11-21-08 04:02 PM
    mmmm....hypothetically speaking...could someone not "hack" the OS to get it to initiate the card (I'm sure there are all KINDS of smart people with the kind of time on their hands to make this happen) AND modify the "box looking thing" slightly to allow for the card to fit????
    No, this isn't WinMo where a registry change and a driver rewrite on the OS will make things happen. The OS files and code are signed code and pass through security checks on the ARM cpu before they get executed or even loaded if part of the core OS. If they fail... it don't work. RIM's design is kinda tightass for my liking, but thats what gives them DOD level signoff.
    11-21-08 04:06 PM
    u guys do realize that storm used micro sd card...right? not mini sd card. and u guys do know the difference between micro sd vs mini sd card...right?
    11-21-08 04:12 PM
    u guys do realize that storm used micro sd card...right? not mini sd card. and u guys do know the difference between micro sd vs mini sd card...right?
    What was that?

SpecTec’s MicroSD Card with Wifi | Chip Chick
    11-21-08 04:15 PM
    sorry bout that. I should know better. Well, what about a Wifi Sim card? I guess it's all just hope. I'll keep checking and learning
    11-21-08 05:48 PM
    sorry bout that. I should know better. Well, what about a Wifi Sim card? I guess it's all just hope. I'll keep checking and learning
    No need to appologize. While you posted a link to a MiniSD WiFi card, there are MicroSD ones, see my link above.
    11-21-08 09:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD