What is the minim of memory the Storm 2 need in order to run smoothly?
    05-12-10 11:50 PM
    Ive heard like 18 to 20 MB.
    05-12-10 11:55 PM
    This device is so much improved over the last version, that I would say it is less than 10mb for you to even think about it.
    05-13-10 10:04 AM
    Thanks for the information.
    05-13-10 10:58 AM
    The REAL answer is - it depends. You could have and I have had, more than 120 megs available and the phone slowed to a crawl because I was listening to music while loading a web page and checking my e-mail. I've also had my S1 fly super fast on 40megs of memory. Alot depends on what you are doing. Remember its a single core 528 mghz processor and 256 mg RAM (149 accessible) and 256 ROM (196 usable) running a JAVA Runtime enviroment. It can easily be slowed to a crawl regardless of availble memory or it can fly with very little available; all depends on what you're doing.
    05-13-10 11:12 AM
    The REAL answer is - it depends. You could have and I have had, more than 120 megs available and the phone slowed to a crawl because I was listening to music while loading a web page and checking my e-mail. I've also had my S1 fly super fast on 40megs of memory. Alot depends on what you are doing. Remember its a single core 528 mghz processor and 256 mg RAM (149 accessible) and 256 ROM (196 usable) running a JAVA Runtime enviroment. It can easily be slowed to a crawl regardless of availble memory or it can fly with very little available; all depends on what you're doing.
    +1. Free app memory is not indicative of performance.
    05-13-10 12:19 PM
    +1. Free app memory is not indicative of performance.

To a certain extent. Just like a computer, the more RAM you have free, the faster it will perform. As you start getting substantially low (from a RAM/App Memory standpoint) you will definitely notice a performance hit.
    05-13-10 02:04 PM
    What can I do to keep my storm2 running well, is there a way to install apps onto the media card and just use a larger MSD card?? I installed a number of themes and have since noticed Meterberry alarm going off saying my memory is low?

If I want to hang onto the themes can I run a BB Desktop Back Up and will that save them all then can I just delete them from the actual device, then at some point later on re install them from the saved back up? I want to keep this thing running smooth and fast not boggy??

Thanks
    05-13-10 11:43 PM
    I use memory booster periodically when i notice some lag and it seems to recover some memory and speeds up the phone nicely imo. also if you get bbsak or master control program you can back up you apps and then delete off of the phone and restore any time you like.
    05-13-10 11:57 PM
    I use memory booster periodically when i notice some lag and it seems to recover some memory and speeds up the phone nicely imo. also if you get bbsak or master control program you can back up you apps and then delete off of the phone and restore any time you like.
    Thanks for the reply, I did a quick search didnt find those apps, where can I find BBSAK or Master Control? App Store??
    05-14-10 12:08 AM
    To a certain extent. Just like a computer, the more RAM you have free, the faster it will perform. As you start getting substantially low (from a RAM/App Memory standpoint) you will definitely notice a performance hit.
    RAM is not equal to App Memory. BlackBerries have RAM and app memory and each is different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-10 08:11 AM
    RAM is not equal to App Memory. BlackBerries have RAM and app memory and each is different.

Enlighten me. What is the difference?
    05-14-10 10:23 AM
    RAM is volatile and used by the system for carrying out the various tasks being done, and clears when the device is reset. App memory is different in that the apps are stored and use it separate from the core system processes.

05-14-10 02:04 PM
    You can think of App Memory almost like you would a hard drive in your typical PC. It is where apps are stored and gets used like swap space. Ram is temporary and doesn't hold its state after power loss. The analogy doesn't hold up one to one, but it gives you the basic concept.

Your BB could run just fine with 0 mb free app memory (I've seen it many times) or like garbage with 100 mb free.

05-14-10 02:49 PM
    You can think of App Memory almost like you would a hard drive in your typical PC. It is where apps are stored and gets used like swap space. Ram is temporary and doesn't hold its state after power loss. The analogy doesn't hold up one to one, but it gives you the basic concept.

Your BB could run just fine with 0 mb free app memory (I've seen it many times) or like garbage with 100 mb free.

Exactly. Though once a Berry gets below 5 Ap memory the chances of it slowing down are great regardless of RAM.

We hear complaints all the time about the need for more Ap memory, but I believe the calls for more RAM should begin to grow much louder. (Though more RAM is just a bandaid). The JAVA enviroment really is taxing on RAM and even the native applications on a freshly booted modern BB can cause the entire BB to lock up or crawl. No disrespect to RIM intended but there are no other smart phones I have ever handled that act in this manner. Not even the prior generation of Symbian Palm devices. The solution of course is not necessarily more RAM though it is dirt cheap and would help, it is the programming enviroment, that is the problem; more RAM will help alleviate slowness when multiple applications or a CPU intensive applications are runing; but running those applications in a more streamlined enviroment would help more.

I pray for the day when BB becomes just a licensed API for other platforms. Secure push e-mail and notifications, secure browsing and device PIN assignment across platforms! I know, I know, but a boy can dream can't he?
    05-14-10 03:03 PM

I'm very computer literate so I know exactly what you are saying but hard drive space doesn't "leak."

Your BB does not run just fine with 0 mb of free app memory. If that were the case, it would not start lagging in performance or deleting texts, calendar entries, etc.

How is it that you gain the application memory that you lost after a reboot??
    05-14-10 03:27 PM
    As I previously stated apps are stored and also use the same memory they are stored in, it's used as swap and temp dor the apps' functions. System/core doesn't use this, they use RAM

I'm very computer literate so I know exactly what you are saying but hard drive space doesn't "leak."

Your BB does not run just fine with 0 mb of free app memory. If that were the case, it would not start lagging in performance or deleting texts, calendar entries, etc.

How is it that you gain the application memory that you lost after a reboot??
    05-14-10 04:41 PM
    As I previously stated apps are stored and also use the same memory they are stored in, it's used as swap and temp dor the apps' functions. System/core doesn't use this, they use RAM

Quick reading from MeterBerry™ for BlackBerry® Smartphones
    This is GiantCashew's website for MeterBerry.)
    excerpts follow -
    (Q: What exactly is "application memory"? How does it relate to the other memory on my phone?

A: Blackberries have a certain amount of internal flash, or device memory. A portion of that flash is allocated as application space, and the rest is allocated as data space. Blackberries also have a certain amount of traditional RAM. These memory spaces are used as follows:

1. When they are running, the operating system and applications both use the traditional RAM like your computer does. Temporary, volatile storage.

2. All applications are stored in the application space. Whatever room is free in the application space is used by the operating system for paging when your phone is running, similar to what your computer does with its hard drive and swap file. Applications can only be stored and run from the application space.

3. The data space is used for an internal file system, as well as storage of things like pictures, ring tones, etc. You cannot store and run applications from the data space.

When you go to Options -> Memory, the "Application Memory" entry refers to the free space in the application block of the internal flash.

So, when you install applications the free space in the application block decreases. And because the application block is also used for paging, the free space fluctuates over time as you use your phone.

RIM most likely doesn't display the free RAM under Options -> Memory is because the RAM is used by the operating system in addition to applications. It wildly fluctuates up and down as the phone is running, and doesn't give you any real measure of what's going on. But if an application has a true memory leak as is described above, you would be able to detect it by looking at the free application memory. And of course your free application memory also tells you how much room you have left for applications.

Q: How do I know if I have a memory leak?

A: Java uses automatic garbage collection to manage memory. Applications create memory objects, and the Java garbage collector recovers memory objects that are no longer in use. The garbage collector runs only when it is convenient, usually when the handheld is idle or in an emergency when memory is needed and none is available. Because of this, it is typical for the memory objects created by an application to not be recovered for many minutes or even hours.

So, it is completely normal for the device's free application memory to fluctuate up and down.

It is the responsibility of applications to remove references to memory objects they no longer need. This signals to the garbage collector that the memory used by those objects can be recovered and used for something else. A "memory leak" in the context of a Blackberry device can occur when an application repeatedly creates memory objects and doesn't remove references to those objects when it no longer needs them.

If your free memory drops a certain amount after you restart your phone, this does not automatically mean you have a memory leak. This is completely normal as the Blackberry operating system caches things in application memory, just like your computer does with its RAM. However, if your free memory dwindles to a very low value and never increases unless you restart your phone, you probably do have a true memory leak.

Q: What does the Recover Memory button do? Why does it sometimes make my free memory decrease?

The Recover Memory button initiates the garbage collector programmatically. This corresponds with "System.GC() invocation" in the table below. As the table reveals, garbage collection is rather complex, and there is much more involved in the process than simply increasing the amount of free application memory. Initiating the garbage collector programmatically has different effects for different users depending on operating system version, third party applications, and settings. Some users benefit from doing so and some do not.

If the amount of free application memory decreases after pressing the Recover Memory button, it most likely is due to the "auto-commit" operation in the table below. This takes objects that were going to be moved from RAM to flash some time in the future and moves them immediately. The benefit of doing so is that this makes more RAM available for use by the system, which is much faster than flash. Remember that application memory is flash.

Also, even if the amount of free application memory stays the same after the garbage collector us run, it still most likely freed up RAM behind the scenes which should make the phone operate more smoothly.
    05-14-10 07:19 PM
    Thanks Ultra I was close lol

05-14-10 07:27 PM
    "Remember its a single core 528 mghz processor and 256 mg RAM (149 accessible) and 256 ROM (196 usable) running a JAVA Runtime enviroment."

So we KNOW the processor for sure now?
    05-14-10 09:14 PM
    We hear complaints all the time about the need for more Ap memory, but I believe the calls for more RAM should begin to grow much louder. (Though more RAM is just a bandaid). The JAVA enviroment really is taxing on RAM and even the native applications on a freshly booted modern BB can cause the entire BB to lock up or crawl. No disrespect to RIM intended but there are no other smart phones I have ever handled that act in this manner. Not even the prior generation of Symbian Palm devices. The solution of course is not necessarily more RAM though it is dirt cheap and would help, it is the programming enviroment, that is the problem; more RAM will help alleviate slowness when multiple applications or a CPU intensive applications are runing; but running those applications in a more streamlined enviroment would help more.
    Flash memory is so inexpensive. The longer that BB's go without making more app memory available, the more I think the OS architecture cannot address large amounts of memory efficiently. I guess the Bold 9650 is using 512 MB (app memory, I don't know how much RAM) now, but the difference between 512 and 256 is so small that it is almost inconsequential. We need a massive leap to 8, 16, 32, etc GB available app memory. I don't understand the hold up.
    05-17-10 01:30 PM
    Flash memory is so inexpensive. The longer that BB's go without making more app memory available, the more I think the OS architecture cannot address large amounts of memory efficiently. I guess the Bold 9650 is using 512 MB (app memory, I don't know how much RAM) now, but the difference between 512 and 256 is so small that it is almost inconsequential. We need a massive leap to 8, 16, 32, etc GB available app memory. I don't understand the hold up.
    Flash memory might be inexpensive but batteries are not - the form factor for a phone is not capable for carrying a battery that would supply power to a device that has apps requiring that much memory.

05-17-10 01:36 PM
    Flash memory might be inexpensive but batteries are not - the form factor for a phone is not capable for carrying a battery that would supply power to a device that has apps requiring that much memory.
    You do know there are other platforms with apps reaching the hundreds of megabytes right? Maybe we are thinking of different things.
    05-17-10 01:52 PM
    You do know there are other platforms with apps reaching the hundreds of megabytes right? Maybe we are thinking of different things.
    Perhaps, I was referencing the amount of power needed to run multiple apps of that size - imagine someone with 8 gigs of memory with that filled and trying to get through a day

05-17-10 02:13 PM
    Perhaps, I was referencing the amount of power needed to run multiple apps of that size - imagine someone with 8 gigs of memory with that filled and trying to get through a day

I see where you are getting but if those apps aren't consuming clock cycles there shouldn't be much of an impact.

05-17-10 06:15 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD