Has anyone else played with this? Microsoft has released an app that installs on almost all phone platforms called Tag. Unlike applications out that read bar codes, etc. this one gives you a quick link to any website that can give you further information on whatever it is that you are looking at: sign, poster, advertisement, business card, etc.

I have loaded this on the Storm, and the (very) few instances that I could find where it is available, after taking a picture of the graphic, it directly opened the BB Browser to the indicated site. Take a look. This could be interesting if it is widely adopted.
    02-10-09 04:15 PM
    Just downloaded it so we shall see. I've never seen one of those tags, where were you when you saw one?
    02-10-09 04:21 PM
    Sounds interesting!
    02-10-09 04:34 PM
    Here ya go

02-10-09 05:23 PM
    I found them online, which defeats the whole purpose, but now I will keep my eyes open and let you lbow when I see one for real.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-09 05:35 PM
    Why in the world would MS not just make something like this for regular bar codes?

02-10-09 05:50 PM
    Why in the world would MS not just make something like this for regular bar codes?

lol...excellent point. I don't really get this though. Why not just put the info you need on the freakin box?
    02-10-09 05:52 PM
    We talked about this a while back. I've yet to see tags anywhere.
    02-10-09 06:08 PM
    I don't really see this catching on right away. I remember when this idea first came up around march 2007, it sounded like a great idea on paper but I didn't think it would be feasible. I tested the service using the codes on the microsoft and this thread. For both I had trouble getting the picture just right and the app had to run multiple apps just to work. I remember a similar technology called QR code that did the same thing but looked more like the standard barcode.

02-10-09 07:52 PM
    This does work well enough. I have installed it on my curve and tested it using many sample tags I found through a google search.

The downside is that the tag only provides an ID that is then sent to MS servers to actually get the information. As it is, the tag does not actually store the information which is different than QR codes. If the information was stored in the tag and did not require MS servers to turn it into something usefull, it would certainly be more interesting.

Unforunately, Microsoft is looking at this as a future revenue stream and is planning to charge advertisers to tag products, ads, and pretty much anything else.

The QR code method is already established and widely used in Japan and other Asian countries. Also, it is open and completely free and always will be.

In comparison, I did find the tags were easier to decode using my Curve, but not so much that I would not use QR code instead.

For now, I will keep both applications on my BB that way I am covered if I actually see a tag or QR code out there somewhere.

03-01-09 02:40 PM
    I found this awhile back and was excited until I couldn't find any tags. I did find one in bestbuy for some windows product but that was it.
    03-01-09 04:03 PM
    Unfortunaetly my 8830 doesn't have a camera . Can anyone decrypt the following for me?

http: //img.geocaching.com/cache/e9270a30-91b3-4c94-960e-4e6196a82eea.jpg

blazer2@ cogeco.ca

Thanks in advance
    03-16-09 07:58 PM
    This was already tried with the Cue Cat and it wasn't widely adopted and the company stopped making them.
    03-16-09 09:11 PM
    Unfortunaetly my 8830 doesn't have a camera . Can anyone decrypt the following for me?

http: //img.geocaching.com/cache/e9270a30-91b3-4c94-960e-4e6196a82eea.jpg

blazer2@ cogeco.ca

Thanks in advance
    That decrypts to a screen saying:

Info
    Final Coordinates
    North 44 (11.072 + Y)
    West 076 (27.354 + Y)
    X = 7.463
    03-18-09 01:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD