Is there aw way to get to your company Exchange mail servers without BES? I remember reading something here but can't find it now.

My wife has a WinMo device because it's the only way (we know of) to access her company mail. The mail access is setup using a webmail address but she does have to put in her domain and password during the mail setup on the phone. Is there an app to mimic this on the BB?
    Last edited by WERA_Cannoli; 02-02-09 at 08:12 AM.
    02-02-09 08:10 AM
    Yes. If you can log into your Exchange email via OWA (Outlook Web Access), you should be able to set it up through BIS.
    02-02-09 08:15 AM
    Yes. If you can log into your Exchange email via OWA (Outlook Web Access), you should be able to set it up through BIS.
    I have tried that but can't seem to get it to work. How would you go about setting it up through BIS? I have tried several different ways but can't get it to work.
    02-02-09 08:17 AM
    I have tried that but can't seem to get it to work. How would you go about setting it up through BIS? I have tried several different ways but can't get it to work.
    do you have to put in your domain then username when using webmail as well? That's the problem I'm seeing for my wife's account. No place to put in the domain
    02-02-09 08:22 AM
    do you have to put in your domain then username when using webmail as well? That's the problem I'm seeing for my wife's account. No place to put in the domain
    Yep, same issue. That's what leads me to believe that it isn't possible through BIS. The only way I see how to do it is using the browser on the Storm to go to the OWA site, but it isn't practical.
    02-02-09 08:27 AM
    yea i have the same problem. mine is for school though. maybe it is a setting that the school / company has. Tried lots of different ways also. My email is solely on OWA
    02-02-09 08:29 AM
    Just a thought, no promises:

My company uses SBS2K3 & MS Exchange 2003 and in each user's profile there is a group of settings allowing different "pieces" of access to their mailbox from outside of the network:

Mobile Services:
    Outlook Mobile Access: Allows the user to browse the mailbox with a cell phone or other wireless device
    User Initiated Synchronization: Allows the user to synchronize the mailbox with wireless devices (i.e. ActiveSync on WiMo)
    Up-to-date Notifications: keeps the data on wireless devices always up-to-date

Protocols:
    Outlook Web Access: Allow the user to access the mailbox with a Web Browser
    POP3: Allow the user to access the mailbox with a POP3 e-mail client
    IMAP4: Allow the user to access the mailbox with a IMAP4 e-mail client

It is possible that the Mobile Services and Outlook Web Access protocols are enabled, but not the POP3 access on your wife's user account (as, to my knowledge, POP3 is the method that BIS uses to push the emails to the device...I may be wrong...). Have her check with the network admin to see if this is the issue.
    02-02-09 09:20 AM
    have you tried putting the domain with the username in the username field? (domain\username)
    02-02-09 10:26 AM
    It is possible, I just got my work Exchange set up on BIS after trying for a long time. For me, it was a slightly different URL than what was used from a browser (browser was owa.xxxxx.net, through BIS was exchange.xxxxx.net).

Also, I assume you are finding the correct place on the BIS account website where you tell it you want to connect to an OWA work account? It sounds like you are, just making sure.

Finally, as posted above, the standard format for including a domain is as part of the username: domain\jdoe
    02-02-09 10:44 AM
    It is possible, I just got my work Exchange set up on BIS after trying for a long time. For me, it was a slightly different URL than what was used from a browser (browser was owa.xxxxx.net, through BIS was exchange.xxxxx.net).

Also, I assume you are finding the correct place on the BIS account website where you tell it you want to connect to an OWA work account? It sounds like you are, just making sure.

Finally, as posted above, the standard format for including a domain is as part of the username: domain\jdoe
    This must be what my issue is. Ours is outlook.xxxxx.com, and can't use exchange.xxxxx.com, plus it's on a secured web portal (https).

I have all of the settings set up manually on the BIS site as directed by the help feature, and it keeps hanging on that, so it must be my company's particular setup that won't allow BIS to pull from that.

At least I know I was doing it right!
    02-02-09 11:17 AM
    Set up your user name and password. Select work email when asked. When it asks for server enter m.exchangelabs.com
    that's what worked for me. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 01:36 PM
    This must be what my issue is. Ours is outlook.xxxxx.com, and can't use exchange.xxxxx.com, plus it's on a secured web portal (https).

I have all of the settings set up manually on the BIS site as directed by the help feature, and it keeps hanging on that, so it must be my company's particular setup that won't allow BIS to pull from that.

At least I know I was doing it right!
    Mine was on https too, and works, I don't know that would prevent it from working. You can tell a bit about what's going on by the error message that you get when it fails. One says something like unable to make a connection... obviously that means something with the servername is off. The other says something about not being able to verify the account credentials. Usually that means something is wrong with the user or mailbox name. Do you have anyone at IT that can help make sure you have the correct servername?
    02-02-09 02:41 PM
    I just want to add, Microsoft Exchange via BIS does work. It's worked on our Exchange 2003 and it's working now with Exchange 2007. When setting it up through BIS website, I didn't even need to setup the OWA url or anything. It knew everything automatically after entering in my email address and password!
    02-02-09 02:59 PM
    Mine was on https too, and works, I don't know that would prevent it from working. You can tell a bit about what's going on by the error message that you get when it fails. One says something like unable to make a connection... obviously that means something with the servername is off. The other says something about not being able to verify the account credentials. Usually that means something is wrong with the user or mailbox name. Do you have anyone at IT that can help make sure you have the correct servername?
    I can ask when I go to work tomorrow, but I have the servername correct, I just think that they have it secured someway that won't allow this kind of access. I do get the error that it is unable to make the connection. I do get an error email sent to my work email address...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your attempt to configure the BlackBerry Internet Service to deliver mail to your BlackBerry device from this email account was unsuccessful. This email provides instructions to help with the email account set up.

You submitted the following information:
    Account Type: Outlook Web Access
    Email Address: ***********
    User Name: ***********
    Password: ****** (For security the password is not displayed.)
    Mail Server: ********** (my outlook.xxxxx.com address)

Please confirm the information. Refer to the instructions below for help in determining the correct information. After confirming the information, log in to the BlackBerry Internet Service site and try again.

If you access your email account using a web browser (using a program called Outlook� Web Access), you need the following information.
    Note: You can find out this information from your System Administrator:

Outlook Web Access URL: The web address for accessing your corporate email
    for example, >>>
    Email Address: Your email address
    for example, [email protected]
    Email account Name: The portion of the email address before the "@" symbol. Often the same as your user name
    for example, patrickmoser in the address [email protected]
    User Name: The user name for your account on the Microsoft� Exchange server
    for example, patrickmoser
    Password: The Outlook or network login password

If you are still having difficulties adding your email account, visit the online help on the BlackBerry Internet Service site.

Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't get any further, so there might either be a setting I am overlooking, or corporate has blocked this from happening.
    02-02-09 04:51 PM
    I just want to add, Microsoft Exchange via BIS does work. It's worked on our Exchange 2003 and it's working now with Exchange 2007. When setting it up through BIS website, I didn't even need to setup the OWA url or anything. It knew everything automatically after entering in my email address and password!
    I couldn't get that lucky...
    02-02-09 04:53 PM
    FYI, for my work (using exchange OWA on a secure server), I was unable to get the blackberry email application to work. I tried and tried and tried, but it never set up correctly.

However, for giggles, I pointed my browser (on the storm) to the verizon BIS website. Once there, I entered in all the same informtion, but the accont setup went smooth, and it's been working ever since.

Essentially, it appeared to me that the Email app (located under the setup folder) has some bugs, whereas the Verizon BIS website (accessed via the blackberry web browser) worked just fine.

Maybe this will help you.
    02-02-09 06:29 PM
    go into the BIS setup and put in the e-mail address with the wrong password, then it will allow you to manually set up the server information. Search setting up IMAP gmail and it has the same directions.
    02-02-09 06:57 PM
    FYI, for my work (using exchange OWA on a secure server), I was unable to get the blackberry email application to work. I tried and tried and tried, but it never set up correctly.

However, for giggles, I pointed my browser (on the storm) to the verizon BIS website. Once there, I entered in all the same informtion, but the accont setup went smooth, and it's been working ever since.

Essentially, it appeared to me that the Email app (located under the setup folder) has some bugs, whereas the Verizon BIS website (accessed via the blackberry web browser) worked just fine.

Maybe this will help you.
    No dice on this avenue either. With all of the help I have received here, I gotta think it's on the corporate end that won't allow me to do this.
    02-02-09 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD