Hey guys,

My BB has been away for about 2 weeks on repair, before I sent it away, I kepy back my 16GB MicroSD card, obviously. I put everything in a box waiting for the phones return. It's back today, I have tried putting it in and it just sayd "fatal errors" and it won't work!

Why do you think this is and how can I get it to work?

Thanks
    06-08-10 10:00 AM
    Have you tried a different MicroSD card or try that card on the computer. Maybe reformat.
    06-08-10 10:06 AM
    Sounds like sd card may need repair. Can do this both on the berry and on the PC. Also check your berry's settings regarding use of the SD card.
    06-08-10 10:12 AM
    How do I do that?
    06-08-10 10:15 AM
    OK - There are likely a dozen FAQs on this but here is a quick run down:
    Options> Memory

A quick default is - Compression enabled; MEDIA CARD SUPPORT - ON; MTP - Off (on if you use WMC and want to load DRM music); Mass Storage Mode - ONAuto Enable- On

Then, by hitting the BB key you will see in the full menu options for repair.

If this doesn't work - connect to a PC. Make sure MSM is on and the PC connects to the SD card. Go to My computer, right click on the SD card (I think its BB2) and click on repair. - If it still doesn't work, make sure ou safely remove the hardware, and then Options>Memory>BB Button> Format SD card.
    06-08-10 10:22 AM
    Thanks very much buddy. Repairing through BB didn't work, and even though MSM is on, BB2 didn't show up in my computer, so I think I will have to reformat it...
    06-08-10 10:37 AM
    do you have password protection on?
    06-08-10 10:39 AM
    Hold on... Formatting it will destroy anything on it. I have loads of pictures on it. Is there no other way? Damn..
    06-08-10 10:41 AM
    No sorry I missed it, I don't have password protection on
    06-08-10 10:41 AM
    Hold on... Formatting it will destroy anything on it. I have loads of pictures on it. Is there no other way? Damn..
    do you have the micro sd adapter that you can put you card into then plug it into the computer, try and get your photos that way , save them onto your computer and then format the card
    06-08-10 10:42 AM
    I have a 35-IN-1 Card Resder/Writer but I can't see a slot for a micro-SD. They're so small!
    06-08-10 10:43 AM
    You probably need the MicroSD to SD adapter.
    06-08-10 10:49 AM
    1 try an adapter.

What do you see in my computer when you plug the BB in with the SD card inserted?
    06-08-10 10:49 AM
    Like you would an external hard drive. Just another drive that you should be able to see.
    06-08-10 10:51 AM
    This isn't directed at the OP as much as it's just a public service announcement in general...

Flash memory is extremely convenient and allows us to store what would have a few years ago seemed an impossibly large amount of data with us in an extremely small package. Having said that, from my experience, it's also not the most "stable" form of data storage, unfortunately. It's always a good idea to back up anything you're carrying on flash media to a permanent location unless you want to find yourself in a similar situation.

Example: A few years ago one of my bosses came to me with a USB thumb drive. He says to me "I put this thing in the computer and it lights up...but my computer doesn't detect the drive...can you take a look at it?" (I worked in the IT shop). Long story short, the drive was toast. He then says to me "Oh God! I had all of my tax info on there and bunch of our company's contract negation stuff I was working on -- I NEED TO GET THAT BACK!!!" I told him that I couldn't believe he hadn't saved these files ANYWHERE else, and that *maybe* an expensive data recovery service could get the files back for him...but I certainly didn't have the tools to do so.
    06-08-10 11:35 AM
    Yup you need the SD adapter
    Last edited by z06mike; 06-08-10 at 04:40 PM.
    06-08-10 04:37 PM
    OK so I bought a SD reader so I could pub it into my computer.

Nothing happened: it could not read the card at all. So I had to cut my chances and reformat the micro SD card. HOWEVER, it appears that I am unable to!

I tried on my BlackBerry and I tried on my computer to reformat it and I am unable to. What has happened? I literally took it out of my BB before I sent it away and set it on a shelf and didn't touch it for two weeks until m BB arrived back!?
    06-13-10 05:59 AM
    Anyone? Do I have to cut my losses? I don't particularly want to; they are expensive things to replace!
    06-13-10 06:38 PM
    Anyone? Do I have to cut my losses? I don't particularly want to; they are expensive things to replace!
    You might have damaged it (hair line crack) while removing?
    06-14-10 09:01 AM
    OK I have been trying to find a solution for this, but I am struggling. I find it so hard to believe that simply by removing the SD card, I broke it. They cannot be that fragile, surely. Anyway, I will tell you what happens:

1. I plug my micro SD into an adapter then put it into the computer.

2. It pops up asking me to format it, so I click 'Format Disk'

3. A little window pops up entitled 'Format Removable Disk (J' with the option of 'Quick format' or not - I have tried both, and both give me the same following results.

4. Whatever option I click on, I then hit 'Start'.

5. A warning pops up telling me that formatting it will erase the data on the disk. I click 'OK'.

6. An error comes up saying "The disk is write protected". So I click OK and it exits.

7. I then exit the main window and then another error comes up saying: "Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure that the disk is not read-only, and then try again. For more information, search Help for read-only files and how to change them".

Then that's that.

Thing is, when I right-click and go to properties on the disk, it doesn't even show the capacity of the card, and no option for unchecking read-only.

What do you all suggest?

Thank you for all your help thus far.
    06-25-10 06:51 AM
    OK I have been trying to find a solution for this, but I am struggling. I find it so hard to believe that simply by removing the SD card, I broke it. They cannot be that fragile, surely. Anyway, I will tell you what happens:

1. I plug my micro SD into an adapter then put it into the computer.

2. It pops up asking me to format it, so I click 'Format Disk'

3. A little window pops up entitled 'Format Removable Disk (J' with the option of 'Quick format' or not - I have tried both, and both give me the same following results.

4. Whatever option I click on, I then hit 'Start'.

5. A warning pops up telling me that formatting it will erase the data on the disk. I click 'OK'.

6. An error comes up saying "The disk is write protected". So I click OK and it exits.

7. I then exit the main window and then another error comes up saying: "Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure that the disk is not read-only, and then try again. For more information, search Help for read-only files and how to change them".

Then that's that.

Thing is, when I right-click and go to properties on the disk, it doesn't even show the capacity of the card, and no option for unchecking read-only.

What do you all suggest?

Thank you for all your help thus far.
    there is a tiny "switch" on the SD adapter that toggles from lock to unlock to prevent accidental writes. At least on some.
    06-25-10 07:43 AM
    Also, if your PC has trouble reading it, I highly recommend the free Recuva software from Piriform. It's saved me some considerable trouble when someone borrowed a flash drive of mine and it got run through the wash (aren't siblings amazing?). Both my PC and laptop had a hard time recognizing the files, but Recuva did the trick. It's awesome.
    06-25-10 07:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD