it is posted that the memory for the storm is:
    Memory: 1GB flash for media/ 192 meg ram
    does this mean there is 1GB to store things like applications
    10-04-08 07:07 AM
    The 1GB is for media, pics movies, music, etc. The 128(not 192) is for Applications.
    oh man this phone is getting worse and worse as the days go on...
    10-04-08 08:40 AM
    oh man this phone is getting worse and worse as the days go on...
    Yup I got to agree with you on that Sky. Everyday there seems to be a new problem coming up with this Bb. I don't even own one and I don't even wanna switch to have it.
    10-04-08 08:54 AM
    That doesn't seem enough memory for apps if RIM want to compete with the iphone. We'll see once the details get released.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-08 08:59 AM
    128 isn't a ton, but it's a sufficient amount for the Bold. Which has the same amount. Guess it depends on if you want to put gobs and gobs of crap on the device. As I've said before, it's not for everybody.
    10-04-08 09:12 AM
    That doesn't seem enough memory for apps if RIM want to compete with the iphone. We'll see once the details get released.
    That's just what's onboard. There's a microSD slot and it comes with an 8gig card. I already purchased one, so when the release FINALLY comes I'll be ready to go.
    10-04-08 09:12 AM
    128 isn't a ton, but it's a sufficient amount for the Bold. Which has the same amount. Guess it depends on if you want to put gobs and gobs of crap on the device. As I've said before, it's not for everybody.
    Hi CX... do you know if apps will be executable from the SD card or will it just be for media?
    10-04-08 09:15 AM
    That's just what's onboard. There's a microSD slot and it comes with an 8gig card. I already purchased one, so when the release FINALLY comes I'll be ready to go.
    That's not going to do anything but bump up the memory for you to store media.

Hi CX... do you know if apps will be executable from the SD card or will it just be for media?
    Nope, just like all other BBs in existance, applications/themes only work from the Flash onboard, which means 128MB and not a drop more.
    10-04-08 09:32 AM
    I can't believe I'd ever say this, but Civic is right.
    Nah, that's going to be it. I know it could be better, and we'd all like more, but it's not like 128 won't work. IMO.
    10-04-08 09:38 AM
    How much memory is on the Verizon 8330? It seems adequate to me, as I have 5-6 apps installed and still have 46mb free.
    10-04-08 09:56 AM
    How much memory is on the Verizon 8330? It seems adequate to me, as I have 5-6 apps installed and still have 46mb free.
    96mb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-08 10:02 AM
    I can't believe I'd ever say this, but Civic is right.
    Nah, that's going to be it. I know it could be better, and we'd all like more, but it's not like 128 won't work. IMO.
    Honestly, I could care less how much flash it had on it, if and only if RIM would for once rebuild the core portion of the OS to support installing stuff to the storage card. That, in my opinion, is the BB platform's biggest Achilles heal. Even OS 5.0 doesn't solve this.
    10-04-08 10:14 AM
    does anybody know how much ram is on the 8130. i think it is 50mb. does this mean that the storm will have twice as much. as i understand it one requires 12mb of free space on the 8130 to make it function properly. will the storm require more than that or the same. if the same then there will be more capacity for apps
    10-04-08 10:18 AM
    Honestly, I could care less how much flash it had on it, if and only if RIM would for once rebuild the core portion of the OS to support installing stuff to the storage card. That, in my opinion, is the BB platform's biggest Achilles heal. Even OS 5.0 doesn't solve this.
    edit>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    10-04-08 10:34 AM
    does anybody know how much ram is on the 8130. i think it is 50mb. does this mean that the storm will have twice as much. as i understand it one requires 12mb of free space on the 8130 to make it function properly. will the storm require more than that or the same. if the same then there will be more capacity for apps
    64MB. All 8xxx series phones with the exception of the 8330 only have 64MB of memory... that's both for CDMA and GSM versions.
    10-04-08 10:57 AM
    The handsett will be coming pre packaged with an 8 gig card so i wouldnt worry about the memory to much.
    10-04-08 10:59 AM
    And another thing I have the BB 8330 and the amount of apps i have on here i could change my theme for everyday of the month so i think it will be fine.
    10-04-08 11:03 AM
    it is posted that the memory for the storm is:
    Memory: 1GB flash for media/ 192 meg ram
    does this mean there is 1GB to store things like applications
    The "1GB flash for media" has always seemed like an odd way to state it by RIM. So does this just refer to the 1GB sd card they send with the device? If it's actually onboard flash memory separately partitioned from the flash memory for apps, why do that when the sd can support up to 16GB today?

I agree that 96-128MB of application/theme flash memory is enough for the majority of us but can't help but think the 16MB of RAM isn't sometimes the cause for the spinning hourglass or "out of memory" conditions. Flash write times are very slow compared to RAM, so I think the RAM is a used as a buffer which gets written to the flash concurrently while the app is running. If you have lots of apps running at the same time, I think that buffer gets full causing the "out of memory" conditions even if you have plenty of flash memory free.

Anyone have any links for the BB memory architecture? I've searched but haven't found anything, so the above is mostly based on my own experience with flash-based mobile apps.
    10-04-08 11:05 AM
    You all will be fine with the memory. Those of you complaining about not being able to install as many apps as an iPhone are going to have live without your lightsaber and fake lighter apps. I believe in you...you can do it. The Storm's internal memory will be more than enough. I have a lot of apps installed on my 8330 and it is fine.
    10-04-08 11:13 AM
    You all will be fine with the memory. Those of you complaining about not being able to install as many apps as an iPhone are going to have live without your lightsaber and fake lighter apps. I believe in you...you can do it. The Storm's internal memory will be more than enough. I have a lot of apps installed on my 8330 and it is fine.
    Noooooooooo!!! I need my beer pouring app! I will die without it!
    10-04-08 11:50 AM
    not to mention the knock on wood app too!
    10-04-08 12:06 PM
    Does the limitations of RAM also minimize the complexity of the application? Can you still have complex apps and games with less RAM?
    10-04-08 12:16 PM
    I suppose it could but it depends most on which apps are running concurrently and how much free ram is left. I think RIM's done a great job allowing us to run multiple apps of our own at the same time as the OS, Messaging, Browser, Phone and everything else that's always running. That said, there are always limits
    10-04-08 12:21 PM
    Nope, just like all other BBs in existance, applications/themes only work from the Flash onboard, which means 128MB and not a drop more.
    Welp... if BB apps are anything like Palm apps, they're pretty small and you don't need a ton of memory to run them. I'm sure it will be sufficient.

I was just on Apple's tech specs on the iPhone and it doesn't say what its flash capacity is. Comparable to BBs?
    10-04-08 01:14 PM
    What? OS 5? Does that even exist? I've never had a Blackberry so excuse me for my dumb questions. Is that like the next big revamp of the Blackberry OS that RIM is working on or something? It seems like all these current updates to the OS is already a big deal and it's just things such as 4.5 and 4.7. I can't imagine how big this 5.0 is going to be. But considering that the Storm with OS4.7 isn't even out yet I also can't imagine 5.0 coming out anytime soon.
    10-04-08 02:28 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD