Why cant the BB OS use some of the removable memory card space to free up the internal memory. To me this is a no brainer, most of us have 16 or 32gig cards, I would be more than happy to set aside some space so the phone could run better. Most of the new flash cards these days are reasonably fast and could easily be used as a swap file place holder or reside some of the dormit features.
    07-15-10 05:35 PM
    Please do a search first, this has been discussed to death.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f151/in...os-6-a-460425/
    07-15-10 05:59 PM
    Yes RIM!! WHY? WHY? WHY OH WHY OH WHY????????
    07-15-10 06:04 PM
    not talking apps
    talking about the OS, lots of OS's use swap file or memory sharing to boost performance
    07-15-10 06:07 PM
    Well putting an OS on the card seems crazy. Why would you wanna do that? What happens when you remove the memory card?

I'm not too familiar with OS' on phones other than BB, but what other phone operating software does this?
    07-15-10 06:17 PM
    not talking apps
    talking about the OS, lots of OS's use swap file or memory sharing to boost performance
    Really???? Like what?
    07-15-10 06:18 PM
    Windows has this feature with ReadyBoost. insert a usb thumbdrive and get more RAM.
    07-15-10 06:36 PM
    computer programmers have been using this trick for years with much success. Motherboards and CPU's have cache memory (SRAM), very fast and very expensive. To improve the perfomacne of the hardware the software will use DRAM (cheap and upgradable) for slower type operations and to improve overall performance. Hard disk drives and Video cards do the same. I guess I am thinking out of the box here but maybe i shouldnt!
    07-15-10 06:53 PM
    not talking apps
    Swap files will slow down the phone tremendously. If you think the browser is slow now, try swapping browser and other apps temp data out to an SD card. Even a class 6 or class 8 card is slow compared to "real" memory. Test it by putting into your computer and copying files. Takes a looooong time especially for large or a large amount of files.

No, they need a couple/few (4-8) GB of real storage, non-volatile for the OS and volatile normal to run the apps, then the SD card for data (docs, music, pics etc.) and for storing the 3rd party apps to be loaded into memory upon execution. Might take them awhile to open, but once in real storage they would run fine.
    07-15-10 06:59 PM
    Swap files will slow down the phone tremendously. If you think the browser is slow now, try swapping browser and other apps temp data out to an SD card. Even a class 6 or class 8 card is slow compared to "real" memory. Test it by putting into your computer and copying files. Takes a looooong time especially for large or a large amount of files.

No, they need a couple/few (4-8) GB of real storage, non-volatile for the OS and volatile normal to run the apps, then the SD card for data (docs, music, pics etc.) and for storing the 3rd party apps to be loaded into memory upon execution. Might take them awhile to open, but once in real storage they would run fine.
    I agree...but most of us also have plenty of available internal (file storage) memory as well.
    07-15-10 07:02 PM
    I agree...but most of us also have plenty of available internal (file storage) memory as well.
    As do I and that should be used for apps/Swap, not the SD card. Plus they should give us more, more, more!!!!!!!!
    07-15-10 07:41 PM

This I would get behind, that's pretty close to what a desktop/laptop does. Load from harddrive/optical/external, run in RAM. And the description you gave is exactly how my systems run - I have separate drives for OS and file storage. Kinda moot these data with the speed and size of drives but old habits die hard. Sounds like the tiny platform of mobile devices would benefit from that technique.
    07-16-10 12:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD