This is my first post on the forum but I have been reading numerous threads in about memory leaks over the past few days and decided to check for myself.

When i checked last night I had only 1MB free, and immediately did a battery pull which gave me only about 27MB afterward. After waking up this morning, this number was down to 16.5MB. I'm curious if anyone knows why a- my memory is so low after a battery pull, or b- what can possibly be causing such an large memory leak after sleeping when the phone is obviously not in use at all. Thanks

A few added details which I forgot to mention: I am running the original .75 OS and have about 16 3rd party apps installed on the phone
    Last edited by Suff21; 02-11-09 at 12:44 PM.
    02-11-09 12:38 PM
    Even though your phone is sleeping there are stil things happening in the background. Applications you have installed on your phone are still working (if they are open). Additionally the OS itself is likely a culprit for memory leakage. Computer OS's experience this problem all the time.

Your memory being so low after a battery pull could be attributed to things saved on the phone's memory (photos, docs, etc) vs the mini-sd card.

Which OS version are you using? In my opinion upgrading to the leaked .86 version is the best bet for helping your phone out. Most will say that .99 (the newest leaked OS is great but I experience an App Error 523 every single day and have to reboot the phone).
    02-11-09 12:51 PM
    I've thought about upgrading to a different OS but decided to hold off only because I don't want to make it any worse, so I'm still on the .75 version which came with the phone. I know that apps still open will use memory, however when I went to sleep last night the only apps that were open were those which are open by default (phone, app center, etc.) Also, I have all pictures and media files being stored on the memory card. I guess my main concern is whether or not this is normal-- the phone seems to be running OK- a bit laggy at times, but I just wasn't sure if having such a small amount of free memory was odd or not, especially after reading that people are in the mid 40's with 20+ apps installed.
    02-11-09 12:57 PM
    Yeah for .75 that's normal. Many of us are on leaked firwmare because the phone runs better with better memory management. Only way to fix your problem (or atleast make it a lot beter than it is) is to upgrade to a leak or wait for VZW to give up the goods and release an official update (hint: you might be waiting a while for this to happen).
    02-11-09 01:42 PM
    I've read a lot about the leaked firmwares and each seems to have their own small bugs...Are there any that are completely bug free?
    02-11-09 01:59 PM
    Negative...we would all love that and these forums wouldn't exist anymore. Each leak his its own problems (which is why they are leaks and not official).
    02-11-09 02:01 PM
    Haha alright. I guess i just feel like even with the .75 OS my memory leak still seems to be more than others with the same OS--Since my first post I did a battery pull, began at only 27MB again and i'm now just above 20, having barely used the phone
    02-11-09 02:16 PM
    You don't say if you've deleted any applications that you are not using, but if there are any, you might want to consider doing that. One app to delete that gets a nice chunk of memory back is Help. If you've been using the Storm for a while you may no longer need it, so dump it.

The issue with the Storm's use of memory has been discussed many times and many suggestions to ease the pain have been made in (almost countless) other threads...
    02-11-09 02:49 PM
    Yes, I've deleted apps I don't use such as VZ Navigator and Visual Voicemail. I have also now deleted help which did not raise my memory above 27MB. I've seen many of the other threads with suggestions, however most people seem to at least begin with 30+ before gradually losing memory but I only start with 27 and seem to drop very quickly. Are there any apps that are known to drain memory? I have deleted viigo and TalkLock which was previously suggested, neither seemed to help very much. I know I have a bunch of apps installed, but others seem to have even more installed and still have more memory.
    02-11-09 04:16 PM
    Just to clarify, memory levels going down is NOT a memory leak. That is only ONE HALF of what makes up a memory leak. The other important part is that this memory is not automatically freed when it's needed by some other app.

Memory levels may go down for several reasons, and memory leaks is only ONE of those.
    02-11-09 04:36 PM
    What are some other issues that can cause a loss of memory on the Storm?
    02-12-09 12:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD