I know theres a ton of these threads, but I am baffled. I have WSJ, Stormlock, QuickPull, CB Launcher, YouTube, and WeatherBug as apps. I always close them out and use memory cleaner. I have QuickPull scheduled for 7 am daily. At 3pm today my Storm was running 47mb free....it is now 17.1mb? I delete my Txts frequently as well as emails, clear cache/history. Last night I saw how to clear event log, which I did. Is this normal? Suggestions?
    01-27-09 09:31 PM
    What OS are you running?
    01-27-09 09:35 PM
    I am running .75
    01-27-09 09:35 PM
    .75 has it's own memory leaks in the OS itself. So even if you close all the apps etc you still have a chance of a memory leak just by using the OS.
    01-27-09 09:40 PM
    That's what I figured, I just never saw it drop almost 30mb in a 7 hr period. I am diligent in checking and making sure its optimized and as "clean" as possible.
    01-27-09 10:26 PM
    Same thing happens to me running .75 no matter how diligent I am closing apps.
    01-27-09 10:31 PM
    upgrade to.90 and delete WB
    01-27-09 10:56 PM
    upgrade to.90 and delete WB
    Stick with .75 or try .85 and WB is just fine.
    01-27-09 11:21 PM
    First off, that's NOT a memory leak, that's just a reduction in free memory. A leak only happens when that memory isn't automatically freed up when it's needed by something else. Something that should only be possible for running apps.

My memory rates will range anywhere from just under 50MB to about the mid-20s... Sometimes it drops quite a bit in a short period of time, but if I check back a little later, it's gone back up.

Don't obsess over a number. If your phone starts suffering from performance degradation, then you might be due for a battery pull. But just because you see a dramatic drop in free memory does NOT mean something bad is happening. ...
    Last edited by JeffH; 01-28-09 at 09:31 AM. Reason: deleted argumentative language
    01-27-09 11:31 PM
    WB does cause App. memory issues. I didn't use it for 4 hours and I stayed above 44mb, but once I started to use it, at work, it started to go down and by the time 7 hours have gone by, it went down to 32mb.
    01-28-09 07:37 AM
    I know theres a ton of these threads, but I am baffled. I have WSJ, Stormlock, QuickPull, CB Launcher, YouTube, and WeatherBug as apps. I always close them out and use memory cleaner. I have QuickPull scheduled for 7 am daily. At 3pm today my Storm was running 47mb free....it is now 17.1mb? I delete my Txts frequently as well as emails, clear cache/history. Last night I saw how to clear event log, which I did. Is this normal? Suggestions?
    I had a similar problem with .86. It was AGGRAVATING to say the least. I would start around 40 something and as the days went on I was at below 10 (3-4MB was the lowest). The phone didn't seem to run slower, but I think I may have been telling myself that. So I went back to .75 and then updated to .90. Haven't had any issues with that so far.

And whether you call it a memory leak or memory not being recovered, it goes by different "names" on this board. We're not electrical engineers and most of us don't work for RIM. If you are trying to find more info on the memory on your phone running low, searching on MEMORY LEAK will come up a whole lot more than RECOVERING MEMORY. So focus on post that identify what could be causing your memory to be lower than expected.
    01-28-09 07:41 AM
    First off, that's NOT a memory leak, that's just a reduction in free memory. A leak only happens when that memory isn't automatically freed up when it's needed by something else. Something that should only be possible for running apps.

My memory rates will range anywhere from just under 50MB to about the mid-20s... Sometimes it drops quite a bit in a short period of time, but if I check back a little later, it's gone back up.

Don't obsess over a number. If your phone starts suffering from performance degradation, then you might be due for a battery pull. But just because you see a dramatic drop in free memory does NOT mean something bad is happening. ...
    ok, so.....

- if I only have 2 third party apps (google earth and worldmate) and I dont even use them. Honestly dont remember last time I did (on the storm).
    - In fact I barely use my storm for anything but reading emails, dozen texts and a dozen calls
    - and my device usually drops from around 43 to 19 mb at the end of the day, the phone has serious lags, freezes, takes 3 minutes and 5 tries to lock, gets stuck in landscape or the other way....

thats not a memory leak? its supposed to do that?

Im not being patronizing in any way, I seriously would like to know.
    Last edited by JeffH; 01-28-09 at 09:41 AM. Reason: deleted quoted text
    01-28-09 07:48 AM
    I had a similar problem with .86. It was AGGRAVATING to say the least. I would start around 40 something and as the days went on I was at below 10 (3-4MB was the lowest). The phone didn't seem to run slower, but I think I may have been telling myself that. So I went back to .75 and then updated to .90. Haven't had any issues with that so far.

And whether you call it a memory leak or memory not being recovered, it goes by different "names" on this board. We're not electrical engineers and most of us don't work for RIM. If you are trying to find more info on the memory on your phone running low, searching on MEMORY LEAK will come up a whole lot more than RECOVERING MEMORY. So focus on post that identify what could be causing your memory to be lower than expected.
    Thanks for your feedback. I will try today without WB and see what happens. Also, I may consider upgrading to .90 as well. Thanks!
    01-28-09 08:11 AM
    Thread cleaned. Disagree without being disagreeable or the thread will be closed.
    01-28-09 09:44 AM
    Thread cleaned. Disagree without being disagreeable or the thread will be closed.
    Thanks JeffH, It was getting out of hand
    01-28-09 10:23 AM
    I have not had an issue with the memory leak yet but is it a good idea just to keep memory cleaning on anyway? Any downside to it?
    01-28-09 11:51 AM
    i am having similar issues and from it seems from reading this there are no fixes other than loading a leaked OS?

I am running .75, i my third party apps are listed in my signature. I did recently ad the CaptureIT application and removed TalkLock because i heard it had serious memory problems.

I have never seen my memory higher than 35mb and i've seen it as low as 200kb! I deleted talklock, rebooted and started at 30mb and watched it drop to 20mb in 10 minutes of NO USE!!!

I checked my running programs at this time they are as followed, (messages, phone, home screen, Blackberry Messenger, App center, browser) only reason i left those running is because i cant get them to close.

If anybody could give me any fixes i could do to avoid battery pulls twice a day that would be so great. thanks
    01-28-09 11:57 AM
    I have not had an issue with the memory leak yet but is it a good idea just to keep memory cleaning on anyway? Any downside to it?
    There is no downside to running the Memory Cleaner, but no benefit either as far as memory leaks are concerned. The Memory Cleaner deletes certain small caches that hold passwords, nothing more. It's a security feature, not a memory management function.

i am having similar issues and from it seems from reading this there are no fixes other than loading a leaked OS?

I am running .75, i my third party apps are listed in my signature. I did recently ad the CaptureIT application and removed TalkLock because i heard it had serious memory problems.

I have never seen my memory higher than 35mb and i've seen it as low as 200kb! I deleted talklock, rebooted and started at 30mb and watched it drop to 20mb in 10 minutes of NO USE!!!

I checked my running programs at this time they are as followed, (messages, phone, home screen, Blackberry Messenger, App center, browser) only reason i left those running is because i cant get them to close.

If anybody could give me any fixes i could do to avoid battery pulls twice a day that would be so great. thanks
    I don't know about the App Center, but you cannot close the rest of the apps you listed. If your memory drops 10MB and stabilizes, I wouldn't be too concerned. Memory is managed dynamically and you should see it move up and down throughout the day. Any app can potentially cause memory problems if left running in the background. I recommend you install the apps you want to use and see what happens. Don't worry about a specific memory value unless it gets below 12 MB. 200k is definitely a problem! I don't recommend frequent battery pulls. Eventually you'll get unlucky and the battery pull will cause more problems.
    Last edited by JeffH; 01-28-09 at 12:24 PM. Reason: typo
    01-28-09 12:22 PM
    I don't know about the App Center, but you cannot close the rest of the apps you listed. If your memory drops 10MB and stabilizes, I wouldn't be too concerned. Memory is managed dynamically and you should see it move up and down throughout the day. Any app can potentially cause memory problems if left running in the background. I recommend you install the apps you want to use and see what happens. Don't worry about a specific memory value unless it gets below 12 MB. 200k is definitely a problem! I don't recommend frequent battery pulls. Eventually you'll get unlucky and the battery pull will cause more problems.
    Thank you for the advice. I was just concerned because people say they are running with an app memory of between 40 and 50 mb and i can not for the life of me get mine over 30.6mb even after a fresh reboot with no additional apps running. It doesn't seem to effect my performance however until the end of the day and if i decide i wanna look at my pictures then my whole system gets slow
    01-28-09 12:36 PM
    OK, I am back after another day with my Storm. As originally stated, yesterday I dropped from 47 to about 17 in the matter of 7 hours. Today I started with 46mb and am currently sitting at 38.3. Not much has changed except I deleted BrickBreaker as Well as an Ebay Icon.
    01-28-09 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD