02-23-09 05:40 PM
129 ... 3456
tools
    I'm very new to all this. I would like to give Logmaid a try. I have downloaded it to a BB folder I have on my desktop. It shows with a .jad xtension. I don't seem to be able to get DM to recognize it or for that matter, even find it. I can drag and drop it easy enough but should I do that and if so, where (card or BB phone memory)...and if that is the correct thing to do why won't it show up in my "Downloads" or "Applications" folder. I am obviously screwing up and would like some detailed advice from some of you experienced guys to let me know where my mistake is. I'm sure it's in here somewhere but I don't know what search parameters to enter. Anything would be helpful. Thanks.
    While I would strongly recommend going back to read my comments on the unnecessary nature of this, I think the answer here is to download the .jad file with your phone to do an OTA install.
    02-03-09 02:39 PM
    Thank You BigMan2. I have read your comments. I have mixed thoughts about installing LogMaid. What I have done thus far is checked the phone every 15 to 60 minutes since about 0955. I started with a battery pull this morning which brought my App memory to 47.5. It has showed a steady decline since then and at 1:00p shows 42.2. I have NOT used the phone. I have cleared all emails, made 0 calls and done 0 texting. My Weatherbug is set to 4hr updates and WB is the only 3rd party app I have. I am running v.99. Before I install LogMaid, I want to monitor the phone for about 12hrs which I am in the process of doing. If it doesn't clean itself up (it doesn't look like it is) then and only then I will try LogMaid. I just want to know how to load it when and if the time comes. I guess there isn't anyway I can do it through the DM. I'd like to be able to take it off if it's as useless as some have indicated. This is all a new learning experience for me and I sincerely Thank You ALL for the great stuff you put in this forum.

1:15p: I'll be damned...silly thing just cleaned itself and jumped right back up to 47.8. How about that ? Will keep watching it.
    02-03-09 04:15 PM
    I'd like to be able to take it off if it's as useless as some have indicated.
    You can delete it from the phone, you don't need DM.

Options --> Advanced --> Applications --> <Pick app from list> --> Menu button --> Delete

May not be exact instructions, but should be close enough you can figure out what to do.
    02-03-09 04:50 PM
    Thanks Again...I will do my best to remember this one. How the heck did you learn all this stuff anyway ?
    02-03-09 04:54 PM
    Or maybe it was just the JVM's garbage collector... I don't know... Doing it's JOB.

You're looking at MAYBE a few KB "saved" by clearing the event log. I think what's really going on here, is people are finally leaving their phone alone for a long enough period of time that the garbage collector kicks in. As opposed to doing a battery pull every time it falls below some arbitrary number.

If you close apps out, and leave the phone alone, the garbage collector will free up that memory for you. It may not be instantly, but if you give it an hour or two, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.
    I installed LogMaid when running .90 and it seemed to improve my available memory. It "seemed" to make things worse with .99 however so I deleted it.

However, and I'm hoping you can explain the "why's" to me, my memory will go from 48MB or so to 28MB in 10-15 MINUTES with NOTHING running on the phone except the apps that cannot be closed (phone, messages, home, browser). If I then clean the memory by actually using the memory cleaning function (rather than waiting for it's normally scheduled time to do so), I recover anywhere from 5-7MB of memory. If I then clear the logs, I recover another 1-2MB. I have watched and logged this for part of two days now and it's baffling me to say the least.

I have my memory cleaning set to 1 minute (when idle) now, but have had it at 5, 10 and 30 as well. It just doesn't seem to recover the memory unless I open that app. "manually."

Just before I was ready to send this, I noticed that the "memory clean" app button completely disappeared from my home screen (I'd moved it there this morning to make "testing" easier). I had to move it back. My contacts and clock apps were running yesterday as well even though I never used both, and am always very careful about closing out apps. when I am done with them.
    02-03-09 04:59 PM
    How the heck did you learn all this stuff anyway ?
    Some of it is spending way too much time here reading, but more than that is probably just playing with things and saying, "I wonder what would happen if I did <something>." Then of course finding out.
    02-03-09 05:44 PM
    Well...Thank You Sir ! Your time and efforts are certainly appreciated by a great many folks on this site. I am one of them. Take care.
    02-03-09 05:50 PM
    However, and I'm hoping you can explain the "why's" to me, my memory will go from 48MB or so to 28MB in 10-15 MINUTES with NOTHING running on the phone except the apps that cannot be closed (phone, messages, home, browser).
    Your first mistake here is assuming that nothing is running on the phone besides the apps that show up. There are a number of things running that are what you might call core system services. If you look at the process list on a Windows system or the number of daemons running, you'll see quite a few different things running which do a lot of the "house cleaning" and routine maintenance.

And as I have long said, there is no real magic number for if your phone goes below X free app mem, all helll will break loose. So the constant monitoring of app mem levels is really probably unnecessary.
    02-03-09 05:52 PM
    No doubt. I'm just curious as to why the numbers seem to drop so quickly and I'm not actively using anything.
    02-03-09 06:33 PM
    Yea. This memory leak is not just our imagination.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 11:49 PM
    No doubt. I'm just curious as to why the numbers seem to drop so quickly and I'm not actively using anything.
    Just because you're not using your phone, and it shows no outward signs of being active, doesn't mean it's sitting idle. The Storm is NOT a feature phone after all, and has more in common with a computer.
    02-04-09 12:01 AM
    Is there a way to find what programs are running in back ground of storm. On my old Treo I could find all programs running one click all on one page, then I could close the one I did not want running.
    02-04-09 07:19 AM
    bigman,

While your information on the "JVM Garbage collector" is more than likely true and correct, I am going to have to disagree with you about this program not doing what it is intended to. There is a reason that five minutes after i installed it i noticed a jump in system memory and since the install have not dropped below 45mb. I've had blackberrys before and had the storm since the nov. 21 release day and this program MOST DEFINATELY is doing EXACTLY what it is advertised to do. That is unless you can explain two me why my "JVM Garbage Collector" decided to wait 2+ months to EVER DO ANYTHING. Like always...just my .02
    02-04-09 07:30 AM
    Anyone tried logmaid on .100?

Does it actually work or is it a waste of time?
    02-04-09 08:33 AM
    Is there a way to find what programs are running in back ground of storm. On my old Treo I could find all programs running one click all on one page, then I could close the one I did not want running.
    Not really... One of the drawbacks to using Java is it's hard, if not impossible, to separate out things like this.
    02-04-09 09:38 AM
    bigman,

While your information on the "JVM Garbage collector" is more than likely true and correct, I am going to have to disagree with you about this program not doing what it is intended to. There is a reason that five minutes after i installed it i noticed a jump in system memory and since the install have not dropped below 45mb. I've had blackberrys before and had the storm since the nov. 21 release day and this program MOST DEFINATELY is doing EXACTLY what it is advertised to do. That is unless you can explain two me why my "JVM Garbage Collector" decided to wait 2+ months to EVER DO ANYTHING. Like always...just my .02
    If by "doing what it is intended to do" you mean clearing the event log, then yes, I have no doubt that it is. If by that you mean magically making your phone faster, then I will disagree.

And as to why it took 2+ months... It's probably because you never gave it a chance. You'd check the free app mem compulsively every 5 minutes, and if it was below some arbitrary magic number, you'd pull the battery or do something else you considered a corrective action. Sometimes it takes 10-20 minutes to kick in or longer. You (read: everyone) need to just relax and learn the virtue of patience.

Long ago there used to be a bunch of these memory management programs for Windows that would force memory to be freed. The reason you don't see many of them around anymore is because 1) they tended to cause more problems than they solved, and 2) they would destroy the cache the OS built up for itself and actually DEGRADE system performance. Take a look at the performance tab in the task manager on XP/Vista some time, and note how much RAM is devoted to cache. It's probably at least 80% of whatever's in your system, and this is a Good Thing(tm). The OS will dip into that pool if it needs more RAM for some app, but until then it keeps parts of itself there to improve performance. Can't say for sure the BB OS does something similar, but I've seen a lot of little things that suggests it's likely. When most people reboot their phone, they might just think it's running slow for those first couple minutes, but I see it as the OS running through the different menu folders, reading their contents, and caching that into RAM for improved responsiveness later.
    02-04-09 09:48 AM
    02-04-09 09:57 AM
    45.6 meg after install and batt pull. was at 35 before batt pull. Lets see how it works....
    02-04-09 10:01 AM
    about 3hrs later and I am down to 37.9.
    02-04-09 01:21 PM
    I tried some stuff without LogMaid and with it. I compared the results over two days. I didn't see any difference. The thing that seems to make the biggest difference for me was doing these two things: 1: Set Weatherbug to update itself every 4hrs instead of every 15mins (default setting) and 2. disciplining myself to CLOSE each app when I'm done with it. Since doing these things my application memory has gone as low as 38.2 (lowest point) to as high as 49.0. It remains consistently in the 40s. Prior to doing these things I was in the teens to mid 20's. I make/receive 10-15 calls a day, receive/send about 30 emails a day and receive/send 10-15 text messages a day. My battery lasts 2 days and is down to 50% so it could last longer but I got nervous so I recharged. Prior to disciplining myself to close apps and doing the Wbug tweaking, the phone battery would die in about 18 hours.

Now...what I don't know is whether the battery life and enhanced performance is attributable to v.99. I was running v.85 but installed v.99 on Sunday morning. I did the phone testing throughout the day on Monday and Tuesday so in all fairness to v.99, it could be why the battery is lasting so much longer AND why the phone is functioning so much better. As far as LogMaid goes, my phone appears to work about the same with or without it. Thats my .02 worth. My phone is working great. Hope someone can benefit from it.
    02-06-09 11:55 AM
    Well if you hold down the BB button for a few seconds it comes up with a list of what is actively running...sometimes I have stuff in there I thought I closed, but didn't close all the way.
    02-06-09 01:14 PM
    Back when I was running stock 75 I tried this maid and it sucked. I deleted it and just cleared the log myself when I thought of it.

But as of last night I'm running 99 with moderate usage I logged this:

6:00 A.M. = 37.37
    7:12 A.M. = 36.82
    7:30 A.M. = 38.18
    8:08 A.M. = 35.65
    Battery pull for slacker install. 47.00
    8:38 A.M. = 47.44
    9:30 A.M. = 47.06
    10:15 A.M. = 38.00
    Install Maid and did a softpull
    10:38 A.M. = 47.00
    10:47 A.M. = 47.46
    02-06-09 01:47 PM
    where is the event log located??? I had .75 on my storm, then upped it to .99. Way nicer now... I installed log maid and already had the memory cleaner on my homepage. Thing has great battery life. The thing is I can do a battery pull and start at 41mb and while the phone sits it fall to around 20-25mb. Thats not using the phone for anything. It doesn't really slow down in function just loses the memory. So where and what is the event log???
    02-06-09 05:25 PM
    Cleared the log file and no change in memory (24Mb). I turned off the log some time ago but understand that the log file is still recording in the background.
    02-06-09 06:05 PM
    ContemporarySteel: You can access the event log by doing the following:
    1. Turn the phone sideways
    2. Call up the keyboard
    3. Hold down the "?123" key for a couple of seconds until you get the number pad locked in.
    4. enter "/"/ and wait a second or two...if you did it right a list of "events" will pop up.

To clear it or view other options...press the Blackberry key. Hope that helps.
    02-06-09 08:07 PM
129 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD