what in the **** could you have on your phone to be under 1 mb ??????
    Vista...J/K

I've never had that problem before.
    01-28-09 05:20 PM
    Im dropping to 18mb within a few hours of a battery pull its really doing my head in... i might give this a try!
    01-28-09 05:22 PM
    37 MB after pull. Let's see what happens.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 05:25 PM
    Just because it needs to be said... What most people complain about is NOT a memory leak. There's all manner of perfectly plausible explanations for why free memory values go down over time.

You could very well be hurting the performance of your phone by obsessing over having some magic number of free app memory, and doing various things to achieve it.

App memory will quite often go up, down, cartwheel, loop de loop, and pinwheel. This is NORMAL, and NOT a sign of something wrong. Operating systems often make use of all available RAM in a system in order to cache bits and pieces of itself for improved performance. This is why XP and Vista might seem a bit sluggish in the first couple minutes of use, but seem to smooth out over time. I don't know for certain the same techniques are employed with the Storm, but I'd say it is certainly a highly plausible and probable scenario.

So once again I say: Do not obsess over a number. No one, outside of RIM's development team, really understands the full scope of what app mem is. The rest of us are all working on incomplete information we've pieced together through some detective work. Without that info to put it into its full and proper context, it's just a number. The only thing we should be concerning ourselves with, is the performance levels of our individual phones. If they start suffering from degraded performance, corrective steps may well be in order. Otherwise, at the risk of sounding like a Luddite, if it's working well, what does it matter if your free app mem is 50K or 50MB?
    01-28-09 05:27 PM
    I think i may have just found the cure for the slow memory leak that everyone has been complaining about since launch. I installed logMaid, a program that automatically clears the event log every hour, last night at around six central. Since that time my free memory has been over 50 mb with no battery pulls or resets. Keep in mind that before trying this, it only took my phone about 5 - 6 hours to drop to around 35 mb free. This could be an isolated case but I think there may be something to it. Just food for thought...

fyi - currently running about 7 different apps
    so where is the leak???
    01-28-09 05:30 PM
    App memory will quite often go up, down, cartwheel, loop de loop, and pinwheel. This is NORMAL, and NOT a sign of something wrong. Operating systems often make use of all available RAM in a system in order to cache bits and pieces of itself for improved performance. This is why XP and Vista might seem a bit sluggish in the first couple minutes of use, but seem to smooth out over time. I don't know for certain the same techniques are employed with the Storm, but I'd say it is certainly a highly plausible and probable scenario.
    I don't know man if my app memory was cartwheel'in I would be worried!!!!

In all seriousness I agree with everything you said. I only look at my free mem if my phone is getting very slow, which doesn't happen all that often for me.
    01-28-09 05:38 PM
    might give this a try too
    01-28-09 05:42 PM
    Should be able to do this automatically from the phones settings.

Options -> Security Options -> Memory Cleaner -> Enable -> Add Icon to home -> Applications.
    Should clear your stuff everytime you lock the keypad, it will probably take about three minutes the first time but I hear it works wonders.
    01-28-09 05:52 PM
    FWIW, I'm running this program - no memory 'increase' - but I should reboot and try it 'fresh'..

That being said, what I am noticing - now that the event log is 'clean', is very snappy performance. I'm running .90, but would notice a lot of bogging down as the day went on.. after a few hours, its running nice and quick (response on running apps, etc.).

to bigman2 (re the 'not a memory leak') - I agree with you somewhat, but on my Pearl, when memory hit "0" it would wipe out all messages, but still not reclaim anything. I'd rather watch my memory, reboot as required to keep messages intact. Luckily with my Storm, reboots are once a day, sometimes twice... but my Pearl was ridiculous at 10+ times a day for reboots.
    01-28-09 06:02 PM
    It did jack all for me. The App Mem still running below 10MB.

I might just reinstall. .90

Someone was saying something about reloading the OS, did theY just mean re installing the OS?

01-28-09 06:26 PM
    I don't know man if my app memory was cartwheel'in I would be worried!!!!
    See, I think I would be fascinated by the prospect more than worried, but that's just me.

In all seriousness I agree with everything you said. I only look at my free mem if my phone is getting very slow, which doesn't happen all that often for me.
    Good to know at least some people have learned this important lesson.
    01-28-09 06:58 PM
    So started the Program at 37MB after softreset. After 2 hours, I was down to ~34 MB after using the browser pretty heavily.

I figured, maybe the leak was there, so I decided to run memory cleaner, got me back to 36. So, not too bad so far.

We'll see after a day of use I guess.
    01-28-09 07:04 PM
    Ok. This is crazy. My memory is now UP to 39.4 after heavy internet use. It is a reverse memory leak. This program is great so far.

01-28-09 08:55 PM
    Guys...Girls...
    Looks like our memory issue is fixed. I'm using this app since about 5:15...after a bat pull I have a total of 48.9 free memory now, after using a lot my phone, going online, making calls, emails and msgs I have a total of 46.4 of free memory.

I guess we fixed one of our BIG issue

01-28-09 09:09 PM
    It did jack all for me. The App Mem still running below 10MB.

I might just reinstall. .90

Someone was saying something about reloading the OS, did theY just mean re installing the OS?

Make sure you do a bat pull before...

01-28-09 09:11 PM
    I downloaded this app as well and loving it!!! It keeps my memory above 50mb!!! So, hopefully it keeps up like that and it may be a MAJOR fix!!!
    01-28-09 09:12 PM
    Should we do a batt pull before AND after installing the application or just right after?
    01-28-09 09:20 PM
    I only did a pull after install. Then let it do its magic.

01-28-09 09:26 PM
    so where is the leak???
    It's in my pants...that's why I downloaded the diaper app for my storm! :P
    01-28-09 09:32 PM
    are you guys talking about logmaid or softpull?
    01-28-09 09:56 PM
    Should be able to do this automatically from the phones settings.

Options -> Security Options -> Memory Cleaner -> Enable -> Add Icon to home -> Applications.
    Should clear your stuff everytime you lock the keypad, it will probably take about three minutes the first time but I hear it works wonders.
    I am no expert but I agree with the above. I have my memory cleaner set to every minute and it's worked wonder in OS .90. I have no clue what it does to battery life but I've seen positive results. Yesterday I had 55MB available and the best I had seen was about 52MB after a batery pull. And now with the quick launch app the event log is easily available and convenient to clear the log. Just thought I would share.
    01-28-09 10:21 PM
    seems like its working on some and not on others???
    01-28-09 10:47 PM
    Nothing noticeable here yet.

Usually hover around 30-40 throughout the day (I understand why it fluctuates). Heavy internet, heavy mp3 use, some calls, text, etc.

Soft pull after install, waiting for about 3 hours and now at 30.7 after a few hours.

It'd be really cool if this would work for me. I read on another thread that it might be b/c the builds came out different. Might it explain all the differences people are experiencing for a variety of issues.

Plenty of other people on these boards well more versed on this stuff than I am (thats why I keep coming back : )

As a side note, I just hope when the app store comes out they'll let us save to the "media card"
    Last edited by kubinator; 01-28-09 at 11:41 PM. Reason: running official .75
    01-28-09 11:39 PM
    running official .75
    01-28-09 11:42 PM
    I run a ton of apps and the lowest I go is about 28.5. Lets see if this makes any difference. Memory has never been an issue for my phone, but it would be nice to see something past 40.....something I have never seen on my phone.
    01-29-09 12:05 AM
129 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD