Did you mean, type lock !123 ?
    As soon as i press L it gives me the dial pad
    Hold the !123 key to lock into symbol & numbers...then type " \ " \
    01-29-09 02:16 PM
    Hold the !123 key to lock into symbol & numbers...then type " \ " \
    Oh ok...
    got it, thanks!
    01-29-09 02:21 PM
    I still have memory 'leak' issues... I don't worry too much until the phone bogs down to a crawl or that number gets less than 10mb where I'll force the phone to reboot (quickpull).

Rulling logmaid, however, leaves my phone running with pretty 'snappy' performance.. its a nice change. Running .90 on a Canadian phone.

My 3rd party apps include Viigo private beta, podtrapper, weatherbug, quicklaunch, msn, gmail, google maps, google sync and mobipocket reader.
    01-29-09 02:23 PM
    i always wondered why clearing the event log seems to "speed up" the phone. The actual event store itself can store only upto 16KBytes of data so I dont see how/why it could have such a noticeable impact, if it even does. Im fairly new to the BB world myself so i was just clearing the log cus the bb veterans swear by it =), until one day i got tired of the morning alt-lglg ritual and hopped onto the sdk to make logmaid.
    01-29-09 05:34 PM
    I wrote earlier that logMaid helps with the memory leak for my phone.....too soon of an impression. It does not help with memory. I barely used my phone today and it still went down to 30mb....so I guess I will keep looking further...
    01-29-09 06:07 PM
    Alternative, from CX,
    Before you load your OS, or through the apploader later.
    remove the event log file from the java folder.
    I've been doing this since 4.5 on my old pearl, works like a champ.
    01-29-09 06:20 PM
    Alternative, from CX,
    Can you post instructions for this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 06:46 PM
    Alternative, from CX,
    Hey now. That is a great tip.
    01-29-09 06:49 PM
    Yea. How do you remove the event log from java ?

01-29-09 07:07 PM
    Downloaded app. Where is it? I looked in the applicationn folder and nothing.
    01-29-09 07:28 PM
    Obviously you need the BB OS you're running on your pc.

Go to:

my computer>c:>program files>common files>research in motion>shared>loader files>9530.*************>java> find "net_rim_event_log_viewer_app.cod" and remove it, you can either delete it or I create a new folder in java and put all of the .cod files I remove in it and leave that folder in the java folder, apploader will not see them any longer.

I always get rid of this and a bunch of others before I load a new OS, but the first time I did this, I removed it and reran the apploader in dm and it removed the log.
    01-29-09 07:50 PM
    Bad news ... (for me
    I loaded the app... rebooted, got sim card inserted error / vsod
    1st time since .83 for me

Running .90 which worked ok the first day or two and has tried my
    patience since... I've loaded every leak to date and things worked
    ok.. for some reason even batt pulls don't seem to do much and I
    hadn't had to do many in any previous loads...

I'm working from home tomorrow, prob a full reload (yes of .90
    why not... no logmaid though
    01-29-09 08:07 PM
    Should be able to do this automatically from the phones settings.

Options -> Security Options -> Memory Cleaner -> Enable -> Add Icon to home -> Applications.
    Should clear your stuff everytime you lock the keypad, it will probably take about three minutes the first time but I hear it works wonders.
    This is what I have been using and seems to work well.
    01-29-09 08:39 PM
    Well yesterday I upgraded from .86 to .90 and was hesitant because .86 had been near perfect for me. Anyway memory stayed high on .86, but when I went to .90 it went back to slowly decreasing like it did in the .7x releases. I had it around 40MB and went to bed and woke up with it in the 20's. Anyway yesterday I loaded this app did a reboot and it showed 47MB free which was the highest I had seen with .90. This was typical of what I had with .86 though. Anyway it has stayed up and once I actually looked at it after some web browsing before bed and it had increased to show 50.9 free. I had never seen that much free since I have had my storm. So far I'm impressed.
    01-30-09 05:15 AM
    I installed Logmaid yesterday morning. I never wanted to be a battery-pull Storm owner but I do notice my phone bogging down after a few days use (I'm not a heavy user). My memory would start around low 30s after a pull and eventually dip down into the teens. I would say I've done half a dozen battery pulls since getting the phone in December.

I decided to give this a try because my habit has been to close apps as soon as I am done doing what I'm doing instead of letting anything run for ease of app switching.

As of now my phone hasn't dropped under 23mb, which as far as app memory goes is the best performance I've had since reading on these boards how to check my memory app in the first place.

I have noticed some wonkiness, but I've goofed with my phone too much recently to attribute it to Logmaid.

I am running the official .75 (which may account for some of the sluggishness), and basically use Twitterberry, facebook, weatherbug, and the standard email and calendar and personal productivity apps.
    01-30-09 05:42 AM
    Used it for more than 24 hours and haven't seen any improvement in memory. Still dropping about 12-15mb on a full day's use of a plethora of applications.
    01-30-09 07:39 AM
    What type of apps do you have on your phone? Any? That's a lot to have on your phone most of the time.
    Apps installed.
    youtube
    Quickpull
    Flycast
    Quicklaunch
    BB Mem
    Log Maid

I dropped below 40 MB yesterday and did a battery pull.. Been running at 50 MB+ since. So yes to answer your any? question I do have apps installed..
    01-30-09 01:26 PM
    Update:

Day 3 - Dropped below 50mb for the first time about two hours ago. Went down to 47mb which is still freaking great. Top of the hour came around and BAM!!! back up to 51mb. Something caused this and the only thing new in my part of the world is logMaid. Once again...just my .02
    01-30-09 02:05 PM
    Update:

Day 3 - Dropped below 50mb for the first time about two hours ago. Went down to 47mb which is still freaking great. Top of the hour came around and BAM!!! back up to 51mb. Something caused this and the only thing new in my part of the world is logMaid. Once again...just my .02
    Or maybe it was just the JVM's garbage collector... I don't know... Doing it's JOB.

You're looking at MAYBE a few KB "saved" by clearing the event log. I think what's really going on here, is people are finally leaving their phone alone for a long enough period of time that the garbage collector kicks in. As opposed to doing a battery pull every time it falls below some arbitrary number.

If you close apps out, and leave the phone alone, the garbage collector will free up that memory for you. It may not be instantly, but if you give it an hour or two, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.
    01-30-09 02:55 PM
    Or maybe it was just the JVM's garbage collector... I don't know... Doing it's JOB.

You're looking at MAYBE a few KB "saved" by clearing the event log. I think what's really going on here, is people are finally leaving their phone alone for a long enough period of time that the garbage collector kicks in. As opposed to doing a battery pull every time it falls below some arbitrary number.

If you close apps out, and leave the phone alone, the garbage collector will free up that memory for you. It may not be instantly, but if you give it an hour or two, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.
    What is the garbage collector? Is that something we can run on our own?
    01-30-09 03:16 PM
    What is the garbage collector? Is that something we can run on our own?
    The garbage collector is an automatic memory recovery program, and it's part of the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) that runs the various OS releases on all BB devices. As for running it on your own: No. It's done automatically by the JVM, and individual apps can trigger it as well, but it's not something a user can (or should be able to) mess with.

Every time you close an app, all the memory it used is marked as recoverable, so the garbage collector knows it can be freed. For various reasons, the garbage collector does not kick in the instant you close an app. But if the phone is idle for a long enough period of time, it often will.
    01-30-09 03:24 PM
    I installed it but it doesn't seem to be clearing my log. Do you have to start it somehow or is it supposed to go to work upon install?
    01-30-09 06:40 PM
    Its not clearing my log either.

01-30-09 06:51 PM
    OK, I have this app since yesterday about 5:20PM, I installed, battery pull and since then, phone never was turned off. After a Bat. pull i had 48.9mb of free memory, now i have 47.5 free memory. It will go down to 39 and then a few min later is back up again.

I am runing the following apps.
    Weatherbug
    Quickpull
    Capture it
    youtube
    Visual VOice Mail

I have no games at all
    No VZ Navigator

I do have doc. to go
    And I have to typping languages on the phone (English & Portugues)

I receive about 150 emails a day, I use the bb messenger a lot, I text about 30 txt/day, I receive and make a lot phone calls, I do not use media player a lot (some times yes)...

I guess that's it...
    What are you typing to get get ota download?
    01-31-09 07:36 AM
    I'm very new to all this. I would like to give Logmaid a try. I have downloaded it to a BB folder I have on my desktop. It shows with a .jad xtension. I don't seem to be able to get DM to recognize it or for that matter, even find it. I can drag and drop it easy enough but should I do that and if so, where (card or BB phone memory)...and if that is the correct thing to do why won't it show up in my "Downloads" or "Applications" folder. I am obviously screwing up and would like some detailed advice from some of you experienced guys to let me know where my mistake is. I'm sure it's in here somewhere but I don't know what search parameters to enter. Anything would be helpful. Thanks.
    02-03-09 01:29 PM
129 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD