I think i may have just found the cure for the slow memory leak that everyone has been complaining about since launch. I installed logMaid, a program that automatically clears the event log every hour, last night at around six central. Since that time my free memory has been over 50 mb with no battery pulls or resets. Keep in mind that before trying this, it only took my phone about 5 - 6 hours to drop to around 35 mb free. This could be an isolated case but I think there may be something to it. Just food for thought...

fyi - currently running about 7 different apps
    01-28-09 03:56 PM
    My memory drops to under 1MB. I'll give this a try and let u guys know how it fares.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 04:07 PM
    Do you have a link to logMaid?
    01-28-09 04:09 PM
    My memory drops to under 1MB. I'll give this a try and let u guys know how it fares.

what in the **** could you have on your phone to be under 1 mb ??????
    01-28-09 04:11 PM
    Do you have a link to logMaid?

It is now in the OTA Apps thread...

Try this and let me know how you guys fare.
    01-28-09 04:12 PM
    Doubt that this works. I disabled the event log completely and still have memory leak.

This is something that will need to be addressed at the OS level
    01-28-09 04:13 PM
    I only have installed VZN, ap news and slacker and at best, after a battery pull, my memory is 36.2 I clear the phone logs, old e-mails and texts. Any thoughts why memiry is so low?

Rochelle
    01-28-09 04:20 PM
    anyone else trying the LogMaid? Any more feedback on this?
    01-28-09 04:24 PM
    Doubt that this works. I disabled the event log completely and still have memory leak.

No, you think you disabled them. The option that everyone thinks is disabling them isn't; it's just not displaying them when you go to the view logs screen. The logs are still there.

If the program actually deletes them, it could be very useful.
    01-28-09 04:31 PM

Events are still logged...they are just not displayed. There is a way to see them using java loader apparently.
    01-28-09 04:32 PM
    No, you think you disabled them. The option that everyone thinks is disabling them isn't; it's just not displaying them when you go to the view logs screen. The logs are still there.

If the program actually deletes them, it could be very useful.
    Program does actually delete them. This is why I think that this theory may hold some water. Think about it...day goes on, events are logged, memory slowly lowers more and more. I could be completely wrong...just seems plausible.
    01-28-09 04:34 PM
    Does this app has an icon? I can't the freacking icon! lol
    01-28-09 04:38 PM
    No icon...no options. Check your Application List, trust me its there. Very simple app
    01-28-09 04:40 PM
    Hmm, ok, then I could be mistaken.

What is the cost of this app?
    01-28-09 04:40 PM
    Hmm, ok, then I could be mistaken.

What is the cost of this app?
    FREEEEEEEEE!!!
    01-28-09 04:41 PM
    I accidentally my storm!

Some weird icon shows up that says BootFreeStub after you download it. If you press on it, nothing really happens. In addition, I go to the applications list and LogMaid is not bold like other programs that normally run. Anyways, I just hid the icon.

Let's see if this bad boy works.

Edit: the BootFreeStub might be from QuickPull App. Just noticed it after I dl'ed LogMaid and thought it was because of that.
    Last edited by mister_tu; 01-28-09 at 04:46 PM.
    01-28-09 04:43 PM
    No icon...no options. Check your Application List, trust me its there. Very simple app
    Downloaded and installed it. So...Umm. Guess I'll just wait. Nice that it's free.

I was at ~18 MB earlier, guess I will check later. It clears it every hour. Is it every hour on the hour? How does that work?

BTW: Why is this discussion in OS/Beta Forum?
    01-28-09 04:46 PM
    I accidentally my storm!

Some weird icon shows up that says BootFreeStub after you download it. If you press on it, nothing really happens. In addition, I go to the applications list and LogMaid is not bold like other programs that normally run. Anyways, I just hid the icon.

Let's see if this bad boy works.

Edit: the BootFreeStub might be from QuickPull App. Just noticed it after I dl'ed LogMaid and thought it was because of that.

BootFreeStub is not affiliated with logMaid.
    01-28-09 04:51 PM
    Downloaded and installed it. So...Umm. Guess I'll just wait. Nice that it's free.

I was at ~18 MB earlier, guess I will check later. It clears it every hour. Is it every hour on the hour? How does that work?

BTW: Why is this discussion in OS/Beta Forum?

Make sure your pull battery or use quickpull or whatever methodology you use to reset. Yes every hour on the hour automatically. No interruption or need to do anything.
    01-28-09 04:52 PM
    I did see it under applications. Does it just work automatically? Nothing to set?

Rochelle
    01-28-09 04:57 PM
    I did see it under applications. Does it just work automatically? Nothing to set?

Rochelle
    Yep...and from what I can tell from my use so far is it works like a freaking champ. Been above 50mb all day long, and any storm user can tell you that never happens.
    01-28-09 05:00 PM

damn man that aint cool.

but on my storm ive found that reloading the os on your storm(im running .75) happens to increase memory available.

before reloading my os memory would start at 41 megs and go down to 19 megs causing things to fail

after reloading the os i start at 55 megs and still drops down, but only drops down to 42 or 45 has not dropped under forty since reloading the os ( 7 days ago)
    01-28-09 05:06 PM
    Something seems fishy about this...

1. No icon to see

2. In application list doesn't look like its bolded, I guess I'm just supposed to take your word for it that it "works", b/c I don't see it.

3. During the download it said from phrenitksoft (or something). Isn't that the same publisher of some annoying program that came out awhile ago?

Just seems like we're all taking your word on this...

Like I said, no offense, I really hope it works. On the other hand, if it somehow does something bad to my phone, I'll be offended.
    01-28-09 05:07 PM
    Something seems fishy about this...

1. No icon to see

2. In application list doesn't look like its bolded, I guess I'm just supposed to take your word for it that it "works", b/c I don't see it.

3. During the download it said from phrenitksoft (or something). Isn't that the same publisher of some annoying program that came out awhile ago?

Just seems like we're all taking your word on this...

Like I said, no offense, I really hope it works. On the other hand, if it somehow does something bad to my phone, I'll be offended.
    Hey man...totally understand your perspective. Try it or don't...just saying that it works great for me. Phrenitksoft is actually a member of crackberry and has a thread about this program. Noone that i have seen who has tried it so far has had any ill effects. AND just so you know, if it messed up your phone I would also be offended and we would go head hunting...storm owners unite. Anyways just my .02...used it for a full day now with 50mb or above with no issues.
    01-28-09 05:11 PM
    Giving it a try, see what happens. I love my storm
    01-28-09 05:18 PM
129 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD