my weatherbug hasn't really sucked much memory, maybe a combo of the weatherbug app and onboard settings like logs and memory cleaning, etc? i've had very few memory problems on all S/W versions...but then again i don't monitor my app memory like everyone else seems to do. i'm too busy responding to emails telling people how to get their internet browser back
    05-22-09 11:13 AM
    my weatherbug hasn't really sucked much memory, maybe a combo of the weatherbug app and onboard settings like logs and memory cleaning, etc? i've had very few memory problems on all S/W versions...but then again i don't monitor my app memory like everyone else seems to do. i'm too busy responding to emails telling people how to get their internet browser back
    What are your settings for logs and memory cleaning? I didn't set anything for the logs and I believe I don't have the memory cleaning set to do anything.
    05-22-09 11:18 AM
    logs i have hide all, and memory cleaning i have set for
    enabled
    yes
    yes
    1 hour
    yes
    05-22-09 11:34 AM
    there has to be something on your phone running in the background that you're not aware of steve.

i suggest you do a "wipe handheld" incuding 3rd party apps, and just re-sync your contacts/calendar, etc...and go back and change all the settings manually...maybe you have a corrupt databse somewhere?
    05-22-09 11:35 AM
    there has to be something on your phone running in the background that you're not aware of steve.

i suggest you do a "wipe handheld" including 3rd party apps, and just re-sync your contacts/calendar, etc...and go back and change all the settings manually...maybe you have a corrupt database somewhere?

That's possible. I'm going to try doing a "wipe handheld" over the weekend. let's see what happens. The idea of a corrupt database never occurred to me. Thanks.
    05-22-09 12:05 PM
    my memory starts at about 34mb, drops to below 15 within hours. Im sure i close all my apps. I only run the following:
    Ubertwitter
    Googlemaps
    Quickpull
    Viigo

how can i help this??
    05-22-09 03:00 PM
    oh... i also run StormSilder and Facebook.

On a side note... Stormslider prevents my Quickpull from running at 4am like i have scheduled.
    05-22-09 03:04 PM
    same suggestion i gave steve and see what happens.
    05-22-09 03:05 PM
    Sounds like a hastle... but, if it stays a problem i will give that a shot. Thanks!
    05-22-09 03:13 PM
    more of a hassle than your phone crashing?

you could always try just deleting the apps and seeing if it stops too...
    05-22-09 03:15 PM
    I'd advise installing .75 and then going to whatever OS you choose. I think installing leak on top of leak on top of leak tends to bog down the phone.

I rebooted last night at 10pm with 44mb, and today almost 17 hours later I am at 38mb. I did what I described above and it seemed to help a ton.
    05-22-09 03:26 PM
    I'd advise installing .75 and then going to whatever OS you choose. I think installing leak on top of leak on top of leak tends to bog down the phone.

I rebooted last night at 10pm with 44mb, and today almost 17 hours later I am at 38mb. I did what I described above and it seemed to help a ton.
    the DM should totally wipe any prior software on the device and restore any software that you choose per DM settings. what you're referring to is when you have more than one OS installed on the PC. you should uninstall previous OS builds from the PC before upgrade...you can keep the .exe file saved, just uninstall. ya know?
    05-22-09 03:30 PM
    the DM should totally wipe any prior software on the device and restore any software that you choose per DM settings. what you're referring to is when you have more than one OS installed on the PC. you should uninstall previous OS builds from the PC before upgrade...you can keep the .exe file saved, just uninstall. ya know?
    No, I am referring to wiping the phone, installing .75 to the phone and then installing whatever OS you choose to the phone.

You are right, DM SHOULD totally wipe any prior software in THEORY. The phone also shouldnt lose memory in THEORY, but it still does
    05-22-09 03:45 PM
    No, I am referring to wiping the phone, installing .75 to the phone and then installing whatever OS you choose to the phone.

You are right, DM SHOULD totally wipe any prior software in THEORY. The phone also shouldnt lose memory in THEORY, but it still does
    no, the DM does wipe the phone completely as part of the install. that part works. but the issue arises when more than one OS is install...

and memory is meant to be used. the issue is 3rd party apps don't make efficent use of clearing their own databases on the memory...we did some tests with a few storms in a lab enviornment, blah blah blah. no 3rd party apps, and there is no issue.

but the storm should have some admin control over clearing the memory like you can clear a cache without having to power cycle.
    05-22-09 05:35 PM
    One thing I noticed is that when you upgrade to a new OS, you have to go back and make some changes to keep the Storm running smoothly such as "hide event logs" and "Network Technology - choose 1XEV rather than Global". Also, I found that by deleting messages, memory frees up.

In short, this is by far the best OS.

[/COLOR]
    those options have always stayed the same for me on any leak upgrade
    05-22-09 05:55 PM
    no, the DM does wipe the phone completely as part of the install. that part works. but the issue arises when more than one OS is install...

and memory is meant to be used. the issue is 3rd party apps don't make efficent use of clearing their own databases on the memory...we did some tests with a few storms in a lab enviornment, blah blah blah. no 3rd party apps, and there is no issue.

but the storm should have some admin control over clearing the memory like you can clear a cache without having to power cycle.
    I guess I just disagree. I've installed a fresh OS numerous times and without restoring have had options and theme settings come back when they shouldnt have. So that tells me that either some of the database is either missed sometimes or there are parts that aren't erased. Either way, you do a few OS upgrades and those remnants could play havoc.

Just my opinion based on what I have seen and experienced.
    05-22-09 06:41 PM
    my memory starts at about 34mb, drops to below 15 within hours. Im sure i close all my apps. I only run the following:
    Ubertwitter
    Googlemaps
    Quickpull
    Viigo

how can i help this??
    Actually, last i checked ubertwitter had a known memory leak issue. I could be wrong, but i'd start there...
    05-22-09 06:43 PM
    I guess I just disagree. I've installed a fresh OS numerous times and without restoring have had options and theme settings come back when they shouldnt have. So that tells me that either some of the database is either missed sometimes or there are parts that aren't erased. Either way, you do a few OS upgrades and those remnants could play havoc.

Just my opinion based on what I have seen and experienced.

if the options and themes are there, then it was restored. my DM has an auto-backup/restore function as part of the OS upgrade. are you stating that you didn't have an auto backup/restore or that you didn't manually do the restore after the OS upgrade was successful?
    05-22-09 07:58 PM
    if the options and themes are there, then it was restored. my DM has an auto-backup/restore function as part of the OS upgrade. are you stating that you didn't have an auto backup/restore or that you didn't manually do the restore after the OS upgrade was successful?
    No restore at all. Fresh OS install. Ive noticed this more with themes than anything else. I installed a theme (re-installed, not resored) that I had previous to the new OS install, after the wipe, and some of the custom folders/hidden icons and whatnot came back as I had them before the wipe. Ive also had some of the theme settings come back corrupt, meaning icons were jumbled up, duplicate icons (such as browser), and never seen before icons on the home page.

This has gone way off topic from the original post... but like I said, I think the process is flawed somewhere in the wipe and install process in DM. Just one person's opinion, take it for what its worth.
    05-22-09 08:58 PM
    I dont run any themes, probably never will, cause they cant seem to speed the phone up any faster then what theyve been releasing with leaked OS's and themes just put that much more lag on the phone. Dont need it!!!

However, ive had .148 on my phone for a full day now and have had my phone running all day and watching, right now im at 26.8 meg free.

Very good compared to previous OS's, all day with previous i would be in the teens or lower, and would require a reboot.
    05-22-09 11:32 PM
    Seriously, is this really an issue?
    i'm with you...

maybe it's just my experience, but i would say that the perception that having your memory fall below like 35 is a huge deal is a misconception.

as you can see from my sig, i run a pretty large number of 3rd party apps, and with the .148 OS my phone runs perfectly.

what i've found through research is that the storm can run pretty well all the way down to 10MB or less of ram left. with all that i have, i usually start up around 38MB and will get down to 24 within about an hour or two but then i fluctuate between 17 and 28 steadily and indefinitely and my phone is just as responsive at those levels as when i first start up.

your phone will not work noticeably faster at 50MB left compared to 20MB, you're just wasting RAM that you could be putting to use, and versatility that you could have out of your phone that was builty to be an all-in-one solution to your needs.

what i've done just as a safety precaution is to dl quickpull (which is an app that simulates you actually removing the battery and resetting the phone) and have it scheduled to reset my phone every morning at 5AM while i'm asleep.

this way when i wake up in the morning my phone is fresh and works without any problems.

i think the keys to maintaining the performance on your phone regardless of how many apps you have are

1. upgrade your OS! the more recent OS have much better memory stability than previous ones...you can research which work best or just use trial and error
    2. make sure you close out of apps not in use, not just back out of them using the back/escape/end key
    3. use a program like quickpull to perform a soft pull regularly as a safety
    4. if using a custom theme, research it first! see how other users have reacted to the memory stability of it

if you follow those basic principles, there is virtually limitless options as to which and how many apps you can install and use

YOUR BB WAS MADE TO EXPAND WITH 3RD PARTY APPS! if you do it right, there is no reason you shouldn't let it reach its full potential (in fact that's just a waste of a phone IMO)
    05-23-09 12:00 AM
    and by 'my research' i don't mean that i've run that low personally, i mean from what i have read in posts by the likes of KD and a few others...

KD actually mentioned that he runs his and his brothers? storm at below 1MB of app memory left because of how many themes he keeps installed on them and they still run fine.

i used to have my phone reboot after it got below around 10MB automatically all the time, but since i upgraded the OS 1)my memory hasn't fallen below around 16 and 2)it has never rebooted/frozen/etc

i really do think the key is to upgrade your OS more than any other thing and secondly to close out of apps instead of escape key/back key/end key out of them
    05-23-09 12:04 AM
    civic, like my new sig?
    05-23-09 12:08 AM
    civic, like my new sig?
    Funny sig!!
    05-23-09 12:10 AM
    I was using bbcm 5.1, and I switched out all 141 files within to 148. Using 148 radio i booted last night at midnight at 55.6, no pulls or resets since and I am at 53.4, with nothing less than 51 at any point today...So, NO mem leak whatsoever on the version I am running. Oh, and I have 9 or 10 apps installed....
    05-23-09 12:11 AM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD