While I don't pay too much attention to the amount of app memory, I do notice that my device becomes sluggish when app memory falls below 30mb. I start after a battery pull with 45mb.

This has been true for all leaks and hybrids, and I've tried them all. Some leaks, notably .132 and .148 hold the memory stable for longer, but even on .148, after about 5 hours, app memory drops below 30 and my phone becomes sluggish with transitions between landscape and portrait and redrawing the screen. So, I end up dong a battery pull every morning, r even in the evening because the phone gets so slow.

The only 3rd party app I have is Google Maps and a Banking program.

I have not found a solution. I have done a clean install and the requisite 3 battery pulls, each lasting at least one minute. Anyone have any ideas?
    05-21-09 11:31 AM
    Since .141 after a sustained period of time, memory would shoot right back up to 37MB+

I assume the absolute same will be true for .148.
    05-21-09 11:32 AM
    I've noticed after about 24 hours the memory drop seems to get serious. Wish I knew what was causing it to leak.

Seems to be at idle for than anything.
    05-21-09 11:33 AM
    I've been up and running for 24 hours on .148. Went from 53mb to currently at 45mb. Seems to be pretty good at reclaiming memory.....at least on my phone. But then I shrunk the OS and I don't run 3rd party apps or themes.
    05-21-09 11:40 AM
    I notice that some memory is reclaimed especially after using the browser, but ultimately the device gets sluggish after about 6 hours. I usually have the Storm on for about 16 hours a day, so I end up doing 2 battery pulls a day to keep the phone running smoothly.

I'm still amazed at how different each Storm is, particularly for those devices not running 3rd party apps or themes, which I don't.
    05-21-09 11:46 AM
    I've been up and running for 24 hours on .148. Went from 53mb to currently at 45mb. Seems to be pretty good at reclaiming memory.....at least on my phone. But then I shrunk the OS and I don't run 3rd party apps or themes.
    What native apps have you removed? Perhaps the culprit is an app that comes with the Storm that you and others may have removed.

I also don't use any of the IM programs that came with the Storm, nor do I use VVM or VZ Nav.

BTW, is memory reclaimed mostly when the phone is idle? I have the device sitting on my desk. Is it better to be in my holster (the one with the magnet)?
    Last edited by stevealb; 05-21-09 at 11:51 AM.
    05-21-09 11:49 AM
    Ive notice my memory goes down while at idle, but recovers after actually using the phone for emails, browser, etc
    05-21-09 11:52 AM
    Ive notice my memory goes down while at idle, but recovers after actually using the phone for emails, browser, etc
    Mine doesn't seem to recover much, which is why it gets sluggish over time. I wonder why?
    05-21-09 12:18 PM
    I have had .148 running for 24 hrs now and found the following:

More memory to start and better memory management. Memory > 38 mb
    Storm is faster at just about everything.
    Typing is better
    Battery usage is better than 141 and about the same as other releases.

None

One thing I noticed is that when you upgrade to a new OS, you have to go back and make some changes to keep the Storm running smoothly such as "hide event logs" and "Network Technology - choose 1XEV rather than Global". Also, I found that by deleting messages, memory frees up.

In short, this is by far the best OS.

05-21-09 12:31 PM
    .148 memory management has been horrendous for me. i've been on 148 for maybe 30 hours and it drops much more significantly and more quickly than 141 did and definitely worse than lyricidal's 141/5.0 hybrid. not reclaiming mem as fast either. i'm about to try lyricidal's 141/148/5.0 hybrid and see if that helps, otherwise may go back to 141.
    05-21-09 12:35 PM
    don't worry about memory unless your phone is running slow. ignore it.

memory is meant to fluctuate over time. that's its purpose. it isn't a memory leak unless it doesn't bounce back.

none of us have used it for very long yet, if after a week there is still a memory issue, then make your judgment. you're making your speculations based on such a small period it isn't a clear picture of what is really going on.
    05-21-09 12:50 PM

memory is meant to fluctuate over time. that's its purpose. it isn't a memory leak unless it doesn't bounce back.

none of us have used it for very long yet, if after a week there is still a memory issue, then make your judgment. you're making your speculations based on such a small period it isn't a clear picture of what is really going on.
    Well said. That's why these polls and such are so ridiculous. We need more time to evaluate before praising or condemning.
    05-21-09 12:52 PM
    been up since 7AM started at appx 53 and currently at 49...i dont consider that a bad mem leak, definitely reasonable and better than previous OS's
    05-21-09 01:01 PM
    been up since 7AM started at appx 53 and currently at 49...i dont consider that a bad mem leak, definitely reasonable and better than previous OS's
    Yeah but even then it's not where you are now but where you end up at. A few hours is not enough to tell how effective the battery use is. At least wait until the end of the day before you look, you may be surprised.
    05-21-09 01:05 PM
    shoot my free memory is never over 33MB.
    even after a battery pull i start with 32-33MB. I only worry aboutit when it drops below 5MB because then my phone gets sluggish
    05-21-09 01:19 PM

people really need to understand this.

between people just wanting to ensure that they have the utmost amount of available memory for no apparent reason to the people who dont know what colour banding is but still seem to care about it...it's getting nuts
    05-21-09 01:21 PM
    In general I am going to say a few things:

Give you phone 2-3 days to settle without 5 battery pulls a day. I did a couple battery pull several times after installing this just so I could put all my settings back perfectly. Other than that and even on .141 I do not do battery pulls AT ALL.

Some of your phones have not had time to settle because you check your memory 15 times an hour and soon as it drops you pull the battery. I promise, just sit back, and let your phone work. As a matter of fact the last many leaks I have had, I let go for weeks at a time.
    05-21-09 01:28 PM

Give you phone 2-3 days to settle without 5 battery pulls a day. I did a couple battery pull several times after installing this just so I could put all my settings back perfectly. Other than that and even on .141 I do not do battery pulls AT ALL.

Some of your phones have not had time to settle because you check your memory 15 times an hour and soon as it drops you pull the battery. I promise, just sit back, and let your phone work. As a matter of fact the last many leaks I have had, I let go for weeks at a time.
    agreed, i only do a batt pull or two right after installing an OS other than that i leave it go
    05-21-09 01:32 PM

I agree with Patches, Brockman, etc. I was running .132 previously and my memory would drop from around 53 to around 40 the first couple days and then stay there for over a week without a batt pull. I'm guessing .148 will do the same.
    Just make sure to completely close apps when you finish with them, keep your logs and in and out boxes cleaned up, limit the icons on your home page, and let the Storm do it's thing. Don't worry about the memory until you start having performance issues! When it starts slowing down or getting buggy, do a batt pull and you're good to go again!
    05-21-09 01:40 PM

It's not the numbers that concern me as much as the sluggish performance. I don't look at the memory until I see the sluggishness, then I know it's dropped below 30mb. It have been running .148 since yesterday morning, and I know there's some settling-in time. However, my Storm definitely slows down after about 6 hours and by 10 hours, needs a battery pull- not by looking at the numbers but by the feel of the device.

You don't see that degradation in performance over time?
    05-21-09 01:46 PM
    I've noticed the same thing on mine...have played around with it and seems pretty consistent....

I've noticed that my major loss comes within the first 30 minutes after a battery pull....will drop between 5.5 mb to sometimes as high as 11 mb in that first 30 minutes....device is usually sitting and not being used during that time....

Another interesting phenomenon (sp?) is when I am restoring my activation on my BES (wirelessly)....memory spikes up as high as 69 - 79 mb during activation, but then drops once finished....

My memory on .148 seems pretty much the same as it's been on the previous OS's and hybrids....after batt pull starts at around 41 mb, then throughout the day gradually makes its way into the mid to high 20's....now rare to drop below 20 mb.
    05-21-09 02:18 PM
    Ive been booting with 39ish-43ish with .148.

After a day or so mine drops to low teens or lower. Never been an issue unless it gets real low. Its never really concerned me.

But I am curious as to what is making it drop. Today I deleted facebook. Im gonna go out on a limb and say this may have been my problem. But Im giving it 24hrs to confirm. Ive been hovering around 35-37mb.

Now the question is, if it the facebook app, what to do? The app or the leak? lol
    05-21-09 02:23 PM
    I've noticed the same thing on mine...have played around with it and seems pretty consistent....

I've noticed that my major loss comes within the first 30 minutes after a battery pull....will drop between 5.5 mb to sometimes as high as 11 mb in that first 30 minutes....device is usually sitting and not being used during that time....

Another interesting phenomenon (sp?) is when I am restoring my activation on my BES (wirelessly)....memory spikes up as high as 69 - 79 mb during activation, but then drops once finished....

My memory on .148 seems pretty much the same as it's been on the previous OS's and hybrids....after batt pull starts at around 41 mb, then throughout the day gradually makes its way into the mid to high 20's....now rare to drop below 20 mb.
    And you don't see a sluggishness in performance when it's in the mid 20's?
    05-21-09 02:24 PM
    That's how my phone was too after the update my memory was dropping like fly for very minimum usage or none at all. I did about 4 battery pulls and leave it on the charger overnight. Its a different monster now. I'm using it for music..texting..facebooking and browsing the web and I'm over 48mb....let's see how the batt holds up but I'm pretty happy with it now. The keyboard lag when typing on the browser is gone. Music volume is fixed. Stormslider works perfect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 02:25 PM
    After initial bootup after install was around 54mb.

Did a battery pull 25 1/2 hours later and was at 44MB
    05-21-09 02:35 PM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD