Is there or can a Memory Leak Application be made for the Storm? It would be simular to Meterberry but would tell you what Applications are leaking memory and how much. The reason is that I have about 13MB of application memory after battery pull but within an hour it goes down to 3MB or lower and I get a Meterberry alert that I set. I want the apps that I have but getting frustrated by the leaks.
    06-16-09 12:50 AM
    Sounds like a pretty good idea...even if they could incorporate that into meterberry...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 12:53 AM
    i dont think there's an api to check for mem leaks on a specific app; if there was an api for that, giant cashew woulda implemented it in meterberry long ago...
    06-16-09 12:55 AM
    I can't see why this is not available. If Meterberry and other memory apps can tell you how much memory is being leaked and when why can't it know which apps are leaking. This could help a developer fine tune an existing app or help them make ones leak free.
    06-16-09 12:59 AM
    true questions is "Why do apps leak?" and fix that right? i would love to see this app
    06-16-09 01:01 AM
    I agree! This would be great!
    06-16-09 01:03 AM
    I hate memory leaking apps. This could be a good program

06-16-09 01:15 AM
    Low Mem #s does not = Slow phone

it = low app space
    06-16-09 02:44 AM
    Not "exactly" the same thing but I talked to GC about adding a "What was running and for how long" entry in Meterberry's log file. Where you could click on the log and see the apps that were running during that 30 minutes. He was looking into it and thought that it might be possible.
    06-16-09 08:10 AM
    I can't see why this is not available. If Meterberry and other memory apps can tell you how much memory is being leaked and when why can't it know which apps are leaking. This could help a developer fine tune an existing app or help them make ones leak free.
    Another app does not have access to what is in/how much memory. The API is not available from Blackberry. Giant Cashew (author of MeterBerry) answers this question. For helpful information on memory management, usage, checkout the MeterBerry FAQ's.
    06-16-09 08:11 AM
    As was mentioned, RIM does not provide APIs to retrieve application-specific memory info. There are APIs to retrieve system-wide memory info, like total memory, free memory, etc. But that is where it stops. ALL third party applications interface with the operating system through a set of pre-defined APIs. RIM decides what information and functionality is available to third party applications, and what isn't. Application-specific memory info is not available.

In other words, an application like you're describing will not happen unless RIM makes new APIs available in a future OS. If this ever happens, MeterBerry will have it.
    Last edited by Giant Cashew; 06-16-09 at 08:25 AM.
    06-16-09 08:19 AM
    Well...hooray for meterberry and a good ol fist shaking at RIM...lol

06-16-09 07:28 PM
    this sounds like a good app or atleast a good idea
    06-17-09 11:19 AM
    Come on RIM, help us out here!
    06-17-09 11:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD