So I went from .75 to .109....

Happy with the overall performance, except of course the memory leak... Why is this such a issue and can/will it be solved?

I had a curve before and it was so dependable and smooth running, why does the Storm have to disappoint so much?

I know these are questions that really can't be answered, but as a Storm user it's great to vent......
    02-27-09 02:18 PM
    If your memory raises in any capacity, I don't think you have a memory leak.

Also something I've learned that prevents the drop of free app memory on my Storm is by locking it when you aren't using it. That actually seems to keep my free app memory about in the same exact spot until I decide to use it again.
    02-27-09 02:28 PM
    People abuse the term memory leak so much that it basically has no meaning anymore. So I'll just say that 99% of the time when someone talks about a memory leak here, they aren't really experiencing a memory leak. They're getting upset over a non-issue based on a incomplete understanding of what a memory leak actually is. I'm thinking you fall into this category.
    02-27-09 03:22 PM
    I do understand what a memory leak is as well as a lot of other things about this phone.
    02-27-09 04:08 PM
    Ok.

Cool then I'm in the right spot.

What the heck is a "memory leak"?
    02-27-09 04:13 PM
    I do understand what a memory leak is as well as a lot of other things about this phone.
    I'll take you at your word, but it really doesn't sound like you do from your first post. But either way, you have to admit there are a lot of people who scream memory leak for every little issue they have, much like a lot of less technically inclined PC users "think I have a virus" when anything out of the ordinary happens.
    02-27-09 04:20 PM
    Ok.

Cool then I'm in the right spot.

What the heck is a "memory leak"?
    Got this from Wikipedia:

"In computer science, a memory leak is a particular type of unintentional memory consumption by a computer program where the program fails to release memory when no longer needed. This condition is normally the result of a bug in a program that prevents it from freeing up memory that it no longer needs.

This term has the potential to be confusing, since memory is not physically lost from the computer. Rather, memory is allocated to a program, and that program subsequently loses the ability to access it due to program logic flaws.

A memory leak has symptoms similar to a number of other problems (see below) and generally can only be diagnosed by a programmer with access to the program source code; however, many people refer to any unwanted increase in memory usage as a memory leak, even if this is not strictly accurate."
    02-27-09 04:29 PM
    And just to add to that... Memory leaks are only possible when an app is running. You close some app, if the free mem levels don't go up immediately, that's NOT a memory leak.

Further, in the Java programming language, which the Storm OS is written in, true memory leaks should be nigh impossible. The JVM (the program that runs the Java code) automatically manages the memory, and acts sort of like a janitor that comes along every so often emptying out waste baskets, etc, only freeing up memory instead of trash.
    02-27-09 04:39 PM
    Ok, I am not sure if this is a true 'memory leak,' or not, but since being on .109, after a batt pull, my app memory is usually around 36MB. As the day progresses, it slowly drains. It was just a 798Kb, until another fresh batt pull brings it back to 36MB... what is going on here? I dont think I have any app running....
    02-27-09 04:54 PM
    So actually (don't laugh) there is no reason to watch and babysit the number and be like all oh no 30mb better do a battery pull?

I currently 3 apps that tell me my memory usage. Am I sick?
    02-27-09 04:56 PM
    Ok, I am not sure if this is a true 'memory leak,' or not, but since being on .109, after a batt pull, my app memory is usually around 36MB. As the day progresses, it slowly drains. It was just a 798Kb, until another fresh batt pull brings it back to 36MB... what is going on here? I dont think I have any app running....
    I do know this, there are apps that run 24-7.

Browser
    Phone
    Home Screen
    I do know this, there are apps that run 24-7.

Browser
    Phone
    Home Screen
    02-27-09 05:38 PM
    So actually (don't laugh) there is no reason to watch and babysit the number and be like all oh no 30mb better do a battery pull?

I currently 3 apps that tell me my memory usage. Am I sick?
    No. When performance starts to suffer, you might want to consider a battery pull, but until then it's not worth worrying about. No personal experience with it, but older BBs would reportedly delete messages and other things when memory got too low. The Storm does not appear to resort to this.

As to being sick... That's a little too easy. I'll just say that you probably are very predisposed to obsessive compulsive disorder.
    02-27-09 05:40 PM
    Well, think and know are two different things. So, do you or don't you? Which 3rd party apps have you installed?
    02-27-09 05:41 PM
    I experience the same "memory leak" too. Actually with .109 it's a bit better in the sense that now i can have my phone run for more than 40 hrs on average before i need to do a battery pull. There are native apps like the phone, clock, messages and the like that run continuously; so then does that mean that one or more of those native apps (or the OS itself) is leaking memory ??? Whatever it is when this is finally fixed the storm will then be a real force to reckon with. This is my ONE issue with the storm.
    02-27-09 05:46 PM
    Just upgraded from 75 to 109 a few days ago, and I like it so far. Was using my camera this morning, and noticed my memory dropped below 1 MB as well. It didn't seem to effect operation too much, but I had noticed on 75 the BB really slowed down when it went below 10MB. So, I did a batt pull.

I'm a noob and not a techy. What can I do to keep performance high? I assume that means keeping memory up? What settings should I use?

I have:
    Viigo -- use frequently
    Weatherbug (on my home screen) -- check regularly
    Slacker Mobile (don't use it much)
    iSkoot for Skype (not logged in)
    youtube -- don't use much
    facebook - use daily
    cnn mobile -- don't use much
    Google maps -- don't use much
    Worldmate (not logged in)
    flickr (not logged in)

My phone also likes to switch from normal sound to Silent all the time. I hoped the upgrade would fix this, but it just happened again.

Suggestions? I appreciate all the advice and info on here.
    02-27-09 06:56 PM
    Just upgraded from 75 to 109 a few days ago, and I like it so far. Was using my camera this morning, and noticed my memory dropped below 1 MB as well. It didn't seem to effect operation too much, but I had noticed on 75 the BB really slowed down when it went below 10MB. So, I did a batt pull.

I'm a noob and not a techy. What can I do to keep performance high? I assume that means keeping memory up? What settings should I use?

I have:
    Viigo -- use frequently
    Weatherbug (on my home screen) -- check regularly
    Slacker Mobile (don't use it much)
    iSkoot for Skype (not logged in)
    youtube -- don't use much
    facebook - use daily
    cnn mobile -- don't use much
    Google maps -- don't use much
    Worldmate (not logged in)
    flickr (not logged in)

My phone also likes to switch from normal sound to Silent all the time. I hoped the upgrade would fix this, but it just happened again.

Suggestions? I appreciate all the advice and info on here.
    Ensure that apps are closed properly when done (using the BB button in program to access its menu and click close).

Get rid of unwanted programs via the BBerry itself(options>advanced options>applications) or Desktop Manager).

Delete excess and/or useless data (like emails, text messages, voice or text memos). There is an option in general setting where you can set the BBerry to auto delete emails after a number of days.

This is some of the methods that I use to maintain the health of my Storm. Searching through this site will yield even more.

Hope this helps.
    02-27-09 07:31 PM
    Actually, Bigman2, I made the mistake twice of letting available app memory get too low, and the Storm deleted all my calendar items more than 10 days old. I have been fastidious about keeping memory above 10 MB since, and the problem has not recurred.
    02-27-09 07:55 PM
    If your memory gets low it will delete call log text emails old calnder

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-09 07:59 PM
    Thanks sgtmilstack! I close all apps with the back button. Doesn't that work too?

I have a lot of email messages on here, maybe that is my problem. Do some programs run and use memory even without me knowing it? IF so, which ones? And how do I stop them?

Thanks again.
    02-27-09 09:47 PM
    My .109 OS memory leak has been horrible. I thought initially when I downloaded .109 it looked good. I will drop 30+MB within 24 hours with minimal app use, text, phone calls. etc
    02-27-09 10:01 PM
    My leak has been about the same as .75. I can usually make it 24 hours with out a battery pull. I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to .109 after one morning waking up and my memory read 0.0.
    02-27-09 10:12 PM
    lol how did it run at 0MB?
    02-27-09 11:44 PM
    I have the same issue as Jimmy. After battery pull, I'm in the 30's, then it fades to single digits when I do another pull. Outside of google, I have virtually no third party apps. No bbm, no weather bug, don't leave apps open. I do a lot of browsing and have bes, if that correlates.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 12:07 AM
    As to being sick... That's a little too easy. I'll just say that you probably are very predisposed to obsessive compulsive disorder.
    I think most of us Storm Troopers have a touch of CDO. (That's like OCD, but in proper alphabetical order.)
    02-28-09 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD