I have a Storm 9500 v 4.7.0.132 ,boot up with about 52 mb everyday;have the following apps installed:
    Meterberry, QL, BOLT,Opera mini, stormlock, stoptilt, Docs to go, picturedial,Filescout,Berricons,callsblocker,Filel ock,Memoryenhancer,Shortcutme-Touch.I find if my device remains idle for an hour or so the memory falls to about 37 mb or so.If I keep using it constantly ie browsing,checking mail or generally listening to music, the free memory goes up and constantly remains at about 46- 49 mb.
    So is the moral of the story to keep using the Storm constantly ?
    05-29-09 01:43 PM
    Personally, I think the real moral of this story is that your phone does what you said it does. It seems like no two Storms are alike, and to some extent, that makes sense. We all have different apps installed and do things with our phones. As long as mine functions the way I think it should, I try not to look (or care) what my memory app is. It does sound like you've got a great setup running on your phone. Pay close attention to what apps you might add, so you can find the culprit if your memory starts getting gobbled up.

Grey
    05-29-09 02:55 PM
    I have a Storm 9500 v 4.7.0.132 ,boot up with about 52 mb everyday;have the following apps installed:
    Meterberry, QL, BOLT,Opera mini, stormlock, stoptilt, Docs to go, picturedial,Filescout,Berricons,callsblocker,Filel ock,Memoryenhancer,Shortcutme-Touch.I find if my device remains idle for an hour or so the memory falls to about 37 mb or so.If I keep using it constantly ie browsing,checking mail or generally listening to music, the free memory goes up and constantly remains at about 46- 49 mb.
    I have noticed that when I use the browser, my app memory goes up a MB or two, nothing much, but it does happen consistently.
    05-29-09 02:57 PM

Apps are supposed to release memory when they don't need it. So there is a chance that one or a few of the apps are written correctly and free up the memory when not needed
    05-29-09 03:04 PM
    Apps are supposed to release memory when they don't need it. So there is a chance that one or a few of the apps are written correctly and free up the memory when not needed
    Applications only mark memory as no longer needed. The garbage collector recovers it.

As far as free memory increasing when you open an application, the garbage collector will run when more memory is needed, so what's probably happening is you're opening an application, the OS recognizes more memory is needed, so it initiates the garbage collector and memory that is no longer in use and was marked as such is recovered.
    05-29-09 05:21 PM
    Applications only mark memory as no longer needed. The garbage collector recovers it.

As far as free memory increasing when you open an application, the garbage collector will run when more memory is needed, so what's probably happening is you're opening an application, the OS recognizes more memory is needed, so it initiates the garbage collector and memory that is no longer in use and was marked as such is recovered.

yes yes you got technical on it..

I am not a programmer basically what I said is pretty much true..

it marked as no longer needed therefor freeing it up.
    05-29-09 05:52 PM
    05-29-09 07:46 PM
    Personally, I think the real moral of this story is that your phone does what you said it does. It seems like no two Storms are alike, and to some extent, that makes sense. We all have different apps installed and do things with our phones. As long as mine functions the way I think it should, I try not to look (or care) what my memory app is. It does sound like you've got a great setup running on your phone. Pay close attention to what apps you might add, so you can find the culprit if your memory starts getting gobbled up.

Grey
    Thank you for being one of the few intelligent people on these forums.
    05-29-09 07:49 PM
    Thank you for being one of the few intelligent people on these forums.
    I'm going for a tissue. Thanks for the kind words bluesky. You know...jumping out of airplanes is dangerous.

Grey
    05-29-09 07:55 PM
    yes yes you got technical on it..

I am not a programmer basically what I said is pretty much true..

it marked as no longer needed therefor freeing it up.
    Yes, but "marking as no longer needed" and "freeing it up" don't happen at the same time. That was my point.

An application marks memory objects as no longer needed, and the garbage collector recovers them. The garbage collector runs when it is convenient to do so (e.g. your phone is idle) or when more memory is needed.

So, it can be many minutes or even hours between an application marking memory as free, and it actually being recovered by the garbage collector.
    05-29-09 10:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD