After switching my Storm from a leaked .148 to the official .148 (I know there's purportedly no difference, I mostly just did it to satiate my own irrational urges to tinker), I've noticed that I'm now forced to have the Memory Cleaner enabled at all times; the button to change it to Disabled is grayed out and has a lock icon on it.

I don't recall ever being forced into this with the leaked .148, and prefer to disable the memory cleaner since it doesn't do anything for my free memory and I don't really do much of anything that requires that level of security precaution. I suppose it would be just as easy to wipe the phone and reinstall, but figured I'd ask to see if anyone else here has gotten saddled with this problem.
    06-03-09 12:05 AM
    After switching my Storm from a leaked .148 to the official .148 (I know there's purportedly no difference, I mostly just did it to satiate my own irrational urges to tinker), I've noticed that I'm now forced to have the Memory Cleaner enabled at all times; the button to change it to Disabled is grayed out and has a lock icon on it.

I don't recall ever being forced into this with the leaked .148, and prefer to disable the memory cleaner since it doesn't do anything for my free memory and I don't really do much of anything that requires that level of security precaution. I suppose it would be just as easy to wipe the phone and reinstall, but figured I'd ask to see if anyone else here has gotten saddled with this problem.
    do you have meterberry? and did you use shrink an os?
    06-03-09 12:07 AM
    Well, It looks like you can still have it on/off, no?
    I mean you have to enable the options for it to work correct?
    06-03-09 12:09 AM
    do you have meterberry? and did you use shrink an os?
    Yes to both, but the answer was also the same when I was using the leaked .148.
    That's odd. I am on the official os and have the option to have it on or off. Actually when I went to check it was disabled. So that's odd.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well, It looks like you can still have it on/off, no?
    I mean you have to enable the options for it to work correct?
    No, I believe the Memory Cleaner runs every time you lock the phone (at least, that's my recollection of discussions about it from awhile back - someone please confirm) regardless of whether or not the other options are enabled. Certainly my phone is taking much longer to lock now than it was when I was running the leaked version without the forced Memory Cleaning.
    06-03-09 12:11 AM
    Yes to both, but the answer was also the same when I was using the leaked .148.
    have you set meterberry to auto clean your memory every hour when idle?
    06-03-09 12:11 AM
    Yes, but I also had that setting when I was using leaked .148 and never had the compulsory Memory Cleaner. Also, I just disabled the setting and pulled the battery, and am still unable to disable Memory Cleaner.
    06-03-09 12:12 AM
    No, I believe the Memory Cleaner runs every time you lock the phone (at least, that's my recollection of discussions about it from awhile back - someone please confirm) regardless of whether or not the other options are enabled. Certainly my phone is taking much longer to lock now than it was when I was running the leaked version without the forced Memory Cleaning.
    My apologies. I did forget about memory cleaning when the lock was enabled.
    06-03-09 12:14 AM
    Yes, but I also had that setting when I was using leaked .148 and never had the compulsory Memory Cleaner. Also, I just disabled the setting and pulled the battery, and am still unable to disable Memory Cleaner.
    did you use a program to shrink the os...and if you did, did you have it shrink out the eventlog ? if so that could be the culprit
    06-03-09 12:16 AM
    did you use a program to shrink the os...and if you did, did you have it shrink out the eventlog ? if so that could be the culprit
    I used Shrink-A-OS, but retained the Event Log (I believe I kept it previously as well, but am not 100% certain).
    06-03-09 12:17 AM
    I used Shrink-A-OS, but retained the Event Log (I believe I kept it previously as well, but am not 100% certain).
    you may want to double check that its still there...im not sure what all .cod files are involved with it. I think i read someone did it on accident and had the same problem...wanna know something screwy...if i leave my mem cleaner on...makes my phone worse...
    06-03-09 12:21 AM
    you may want to double check that its still there...im not sure what all .cod files are involved with it. I think i read someone did it on accident and had the same problem...wanna know something screwy...if i leave my mem cleaner on...makes my phone worse...
    Yep, event log is still there. Just fired it up with the old "/"/ sequence.
    06-03-09 12:22 AM
    Yep, event log is still there. Just fired it up with the old "/"/ sequence.
    hhmm... tried a batt pull? if that doesnt work i would say wipe and reload...
    06-03-09 12:28 AM
    hhmm... tried a batt pull? if that doesnt work i would say wipe and reload...
    Yeah, I think I've reached the wipe and reload stage. This should be interesting.
    06-03-09 12:28 AM
    It appears that WorldMate Live, for whatever reason, is the culprit. Too bad - I like the program and it comes in handy for tracking my flights, but it's not worth it if the expense is that I have to wait 30 seconds every time I hit the lock button because the memory cleaner is busy cleaning.

It's still odd, though, that I didn't have this problem with WorldMate Live on my previous leaked installation of .148. I did a Google search on WorldMate Live and the memory cleaner, though, and it appears that the app causes this issue on other models of BlackBerry as well. Alas.
    Last edited by kf6tac; 06-03-09 at 03:17 AM.
    06-03-09 01:13 AM
    Are u on bes? Looks like IT policy setting.

06-03-09 07:55 AM
    MeterBerry's "memory recovery" feature has nothing to do with the OS's memory cleaner. The later is for security purposes only.
    06-03-09 09:39 AM
    I'm not sure why it is, but I believe that you are correct. I installed the 148/5 hybrid on my fiance's phone, and when she locked it the other day, it told her that Memory Cleaner was running and that it maybe a few minutes (which is strange because memory cleaner on my phone is only a few seconds). But during that time she was unable to access anything on her phone.

Anyone else get that message?
    06-03-09 10:03 AM
    I'm not sure why it is, but I believe that you are correct. I installed the 148/5 hybrid on my fiance's phone, and when she locked it the other day, it told her that Memory Cleaner was running and that it maybe a few minutes (which is strange because memory cleaner on my phone is only a few seconds). But during that time she was unable to access anything on her phone.

Anyone else get that message?
    That happens when you first enable it.
    06-03-09 11:54 AM
    Looks like an IT policy to me. Are you on BES?
    06-03-09 01:59 PM
    Looks like an IT policy to me. Are you on BES?
    Nope, BIS.

It's a WorldMate Live thing (for some reason that app locks down your Memory Cleaning). Once I sorted that out, I tossed the app (glad I didn't shell out $99 for the full version) and all has been well.
    06-03-09 03:36 PM
    Where is this memory cleaner???

06-03-09 03:42 PM
    Where is this memory cleaner???

Options >> Security Options >> Memory Cleaning

As others have said, "Memory Cleaning" is not actually a utility to help you recover memory. It just purges potentially private data from your caches and what not, and takes its sweet time doing it too.
    06-03-09 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD