I didn't search much on this, but I'm trying to help.

My storm started out blazing with .86, but did degrade a bit and get slower. Anyway, I cleaned the browser cache and enabled the memory cleaning feature. After it ran a few times, it was considerably faster and more like it was when I initially loaded .86. I remember seeing a few posts on here and some were questioning whether it was worth using because of impact on battery life. I'd say it may be. Mine had gotten where it was even sluggish after a reset, but for some reason this seems to have helped.

Tom
    01-23-09 10:31 PM
    The MC is not what you think it is. You need to read up on it to understand what it does.
    01-23-09 11:05 PM
    If you are talking about the memory cleaning feature under advanced setting > security it has nothing to do with actual cleaning memory it just encrypts the memory trash

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 11:06 PM
    Must have been a fluke then.
    01-24-09 07:39 AM
    how come when i run memory cleaner it usually free's up about 2 or 3 meg of mem? does encryption do that, i didn't think so.
    01-24-09 07:41 AM
    Perhaps the active overwrite of garbage data forces the JVM memory handle to realize there is additional unused memory, if the current released/leaked OS's are a tad shaky on this.

In addition, direct from BB Doc ID KB03862:

Clearing Caches

Memory Cleaner clears various caches on the handheld including the temporary key store, content protection caches, address book caches, and the handheld clipboard.
    01-24-09 07:54 AM
    Perhaps the active overwrite of garbage data forces the JVM memory handle to realize there is additional unused memory, if the current released/leaked OS's are a tad shaky on this.

In addition, direct from BB Doc ID KB03862:

Clearing Caches

Memory Cleaner clears various caches on the handheld including the temporary key store, content protection caches, address book caches, and the handheld clipboard.
    sounds like a reasonable to me.
    01-28-09 11:50 PM
    By doing the * "/"/ *, and clicking the mem cleaner Icon, I always end up with over 3 meg's of free memory more than before I do it. I had the program put a shortcut in my app folder for easy access.
    01-29-09 06:47 AM
    my memory is always around the 30s in .75. I've seen many post talking about high 40s. Any protocol I should follow to get this increase?
    I normally do 1 Quickpull/day to refresh, since it gets sloooooowww
    01-29-09 07:01 AM
    how come when i run memory cleaner it usually free's up about 2 or 3 meg of mem? does encryption do that, i didn't think so.
    You're attaching way too much significance to that number. Don't get hung up on a number, worry about practical things, like is your Storm still performing up to its usual levels? If yes, what does it matter if your free app mem is 50K or 50MB?
    01-29-09 08:30 AM
    mem clean is kind of like clearing out your browser and cache on your computer. nothing really major... i do it... just b/c i like to keep everything as clean as possible..but i don't notice anything significant.
    01-29-09 09:21 AM
    All I know is that I enabled the memory clean feature so it would do it when the phone is locked. I have removed pretty much all 3rd party apps except soft reset. If mine gets sluggish, I close all the apps I'm not using and lock it for a few minutes so it will do a clean and when I unlock it, it's back to normal. Mine runs great with .86. I really think the 3rd party apps that are not meant for the storm are causing most of the problems. Since I removed them, .86 has been so good that I'm hesitant to try .90 for fear it will not be as good.
    01-29-09 09:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD