i lurk on here so don't think I'm a troll... i learn by listening..

I bought a storm 2 upgraded from a curve (all verizon).. b4 that it was an lg env with the type keyboard (best darned keyboard on a phone i ever used)...

the curve was great.. keyboard small for my fingers so everyone laughed at my typing sometimes... trackball gets dirty.. can have it out and cleaned and back in at a stop light... ( yes.. i got it down pat)..

got my storm 2.. played with it for a day b4 even transferring the lines over.

The more i use it the more frustrating and aggravating it is . it is a major PITA to even answer a quick text message... constant wrong keys input.. and the darned thing ends up replacing my words... ( i tried to turn that off).. menu key presses sometimes.( seems like does not work in landscape mode...)..

pressure to work keys is way all over the map...

location to activate keys is hit and miss...

top of the letter for some.. not for others...

This i looked at the droid and said... oh GOD.. a keyboard and i could actually type on it.. i have big fingers..

Now the Tour.... theres a big maybe
    i love the blackberry system even though i do not travel the globe,,,

emails.. interface.. just a nice piece of gear.. but the storm...

the more i use it the more i use the term POS...

OK.. is it me... anyone else willing to be honest in their gripes about this thing?..

should i send it back and demand a new one???
    the pressure to activate a key is such that its a crap shoot if its that key or any other the neighbors that will go down.. and then it changes my words.. ( even goes back to the first letter... DARN IT..... im fighting it all the way...

i even sent RIM an email telling them they need to have some kind of pressure adjustment on the keyboard...

tried the idea of a stylus... guess what,,,that wont work at all... i could deal with that because my thumbs cover several keys at once and even though the one i want is "lit up",, who knows if thats the one that will activate..

been a week now and ive been giving it a real try but i am so disgusted with this thing...

some times the keyboard goes away in portrait ,,, sometimes not... ( that drag thing to remove keyboard and see entire menu...

OK... im done ranting and please dont call me a troll...
    i have gone through the help menus over and over.. tried all kinds of stuff..

cant seem to find out where to turn all that auto stuff of for the landscape mode.. let me make my own typos... at least i can figure out what im saying., rather than this thing inventing random words.

Ok Blackberry Gurus... I'm all ears.. or is this one of those that should be taken back.. do i take it to store or mail it back.(purchased online). i can imagine store going yadayada at me telling them this storm is just not what everyone else is bragging about. but i would like to get another one right away and see if its the same...

there a lot to like and a lot to wish for on this phone...or is this like microsoft where it takes 3 or 4 versions to get it right???

Anyone have any real world opinions on this vs the tour??? ( other than the obvious,,, memory.. bigger screen.. ( with a big keyboard taking up most of it in landscape mode and then BB software giving me this little tiny one line window to see what im saying... ( what 3 lines of text to read...)... very lame.. skip the black bar with the return phone number and lets see more of the darned message!!!!

sorry..do i sound very frustrated... well.. yes..i am..

WOW.. one thing i do like... is that my SMS messages stay in a tread....
    now that is nice!!!! wish is could say more... ok.. beautiful screen... nice feel... beautiful phone ( to look at)...

Many thanks!!!

Wayne
    11-07-09 08:37 PM
    everyone has their own preferences for how a device should work and it sounds like the S2 isn't your cuppa tea. Nothing anyone else says is going to change YOUR mind about how you feel about the phone. You have 2 options: 1) exchange it for another one, or 2) get a different model phone. My first S2 had a loose screen (lower left). new one is fine. my wife's first S2 is also fine.
    11-07-09 08:42 PM
    Sounds like you got a bad unit. After getting used to the new sure press my typing is very accurate and very fast - fastest on any phone I've used, including 2 iPhones. I'd return it for a replacement and give it another shot.
    11-07-09 08:44 PM
    i dont know i like the storm 2. Best upgrade i ever did with verizon. but I never had blackberry before... and i really went up. Sure the keys get fangled a bit but i find the faster i type... and the less worried i am about it... it works better in landscape (horizontal?!? mode) anyway all i am saying is the less one flusters with it...the better it is... and maybe you just have big fingers teehee....

I like the storm 2... i really dont have too many complaints
    11-07-09 08:48 PM
    SureType is the way to go. I can type faster with SureType than with the keyboard on my PC. Give it a shot, it's in Portrait Mode, click blackberry button enable suretype
    11-07-09 08:50 PM
    I'm with everyone else. This is the best phone I've ever owned and can type way faster than with any other "true qwerty" phone I've owned. I too had the curve, the lg env and the BB Tour and this is by far the best phone to date.
    If I was you I'd go to a corporate store and ask for a new one to see if its just the build in your particular unit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 09:01 PM
    Where was your Storm 2 made? I'm curious.

I got a Storm 2 recently, and I have had no problems at all with typing or anything. I however had a storm 1 before this for several months, so I got used to the typing. I agree with everyone, go get it replaced. It is most likely a defective unit.

But before you replace it, mind telling me where it was made?
    11-07-09 09:09 PM
    sounds like you are the problem...I can actually type faster on my storm than I ever thought possible over my old 8900 and bold...

take a chill pill and learn how to use it.
    11-07-09 09:36 PM
    Ok. Here's my real world opinion. It doesn't sound like you like using a touch screen phone. In my opinion, the S2 is one of the easiest touch screens to type on. If you absolutely hate it, maybe you should consider one of the new physical keyboard BB's with the touch pad instead of the track ball. That way you could have a physical keyboard and you won't have to deal with the dirty track ball. Or if you are interested in the Droid, then try it. It has a touch screen and a physical keyboard. It really comes down to what kind of phone suits your needs.

11-07-09 09:43 PM
    i lurk on here so don't think I'm a troll... i learn by listening..

I bought a storm 2 upgraded from a curve (all verizon).. b4 that it was an lg env with the type keyboard (best darned keyboard on a phone i ever used)...

the curve was great.. keyboard small for my fingers so everyone laughed at my typing sometimes... trackball gets dirty.. can have it out and cleaned and back in at a stop light... ( yes.. i got it down pat)..

got my storm 2.. played with it for a day b4 even transferring the lines over.

The more i use it the more frustrating and aggravating it is . it is a major PITA to even answer a quick text message... constant wrong keys input.. and the darned thing ends up replacing my words... ( i tried to turn that off).. menu key presses sometimes.( seems like does not work in landscape mode...)..

pressure to work keys is way all over the map...

location to activate keys is hit and miss...

top of the letter for some.. not for others...

This i looked at the droid and said... oh GOD.. a keyboard and i could actually type on it.. i have big fingers..

Now the Tour.... theres a big maybe
    i love the blackberry system even though i do not travel the globe,,,

emails.. interface.. just a nice piece of gear.. but the storm...

the more i use it the more i use the term POS...

OK.. is it me... anyone else willing to be honest in their gripes about this thing?..

should i send it back and demand a new one???
    the pressure to activate a key is such that its a crap shoot if its that key or any other the neighbors that will go down.. and then it changes my words.. ( even goes back to the first letter... DARN IT..... im fighting it all the way...

i even sent RIM an email telling them they need to have some kind of pressure adjustment on the keyboard...

tried the idea of a stylus... guess what,,,that wont work at all... i could deal with that because my thumbs cover several keys at once and even though the one i want is "lit up",, who knows if thats the one that will activate..

been a week now and ive been giving it a real try but i am so disgusted with this thing...

some times the keyboard goes away in portrait ,,, sometimes not... ( that drag thing to remove keyboard and see entire menu...

OK... im done ranting and please dont call me a troll...
    i have gone through the help menus over and over.. tried all kinds of stuff..

cant seem to find out where to turn all that auto stuff of for the landscape mode.. let me make my own typos... at least i can figure out what im saying., rather than this thing inventing random words.

Ok Blackberry Gurus... I'm all ears.. or is this one of those that should be taken back.. do i take it to store or mail it back.(purchased online). i can imagine store going yadayada at me telling them this storm is just not what everyone else is bragging about. but i would like to get another one right away and see if its the same...

there a lot to like and a lot to wish for on this phone...or is this like microsoft where it takes 3 or 4 versions to get it right???

Anyone have any real world opinions on this vs the tour??? ( other than the obvious,,, memory.. bigger screen.. ( with a big keyboard taking up most of it in landscape mode and then BB software giving me this little tiny one line window to see what im saying... ( what 3 lines of text to read...)... very lame.. skip the black bar with the return phone number and lets see more of the darned message!!!!

sorry..do i sound very frustrated... well.. yes..i am..

WOW.. one thing i do like... is that my SMS messages stay in a tread....
    now that is nice!!!! wish is could say more... ok.. beautiful screen... nice feel... beautiful phone ( to look at)...

Many thanks!!!

Wayne
    Well I have to admit im also getting a little put off with the screen going hard and soft at will. Its starting to make me crazy also. Yesterday for example I got a new credit card and had to call that 800# to activate it. so all is going well until it asks to type in the last 4 of my SS# I call up the key pad no problem and then NOTHING NOTHING it wont press on the numbers so I just jammed my thumb into the screen and finally it gave me a click I had to do this for all 4 numbers. Its getting annoying. Other times it works great.
    11-07-09 09:55 PM
    good example Bettermost... my son sent me a text at the soccerfield as to where he was.. by the time i tried to get it to type a simple message without it coming up with words that were totally not what i was typing. i was able to find him and just give up on sending a reply...

Calendar function typing is truly frustrating... typing a word.. it changes the word to something else.. try to back up and retype.. it insists on typing some other word ;;like what is it doing...

example... takes three or for trys to have it accept "pick up john"..

it changes the first letter.. or the second.. or all letters to some other word.... then constantly going back to start over..

any clues to stop this nonsense?.. is this smart type function?? using the keyboard with options for letters.. like qw er ty ui op

is that the best solution (portrait mode ).. what does it sond like to you all?

im willing to give this a whirl and keep trying because i like the phone.. i really do.. if i could just get it to cooperate and make a simple message not some long drawn out argument with the phone..
    11-08-09 07:24 AM
    Sorry about your huge banana fingers. (sorry had that picture in my head when you were explaining how your thumbs covered up several keys at once. ). I would give it a little bit of time. If you still don't like it switch devices within your 30 day exchange period.

11-08-09 07:45 AM
    Well, I hafta jump in with a noobie comment here: I upgraded from a Motorola Razr clunker and it would appear to me that MUCH depends on "where you came from" as opposed to "WHERE YOU ARE NOW". I love my phone! It almost now [after only a week or so] seems to be part of me. I am getting a bit suspicious of that element, however, since the screen gets hard when a beautiful girl is around. Otherwise it is soft. [I'm still talking about the 9550, btw ...
    Last edited by weather spotter; 11-08-09 at 08:00 AM.
    11-08-09 07:51 AM
    Well, I hafta jump in with a noobie comment here: I upgraded from a Motorola Razr clunker and I would appear to me that MUCH depends on "where you came from" as opposed to "WHERE YOU ARE NOW". I love my phone! It almost now [after only a week or so] seems to be part of me. I am getting a bit suspicious of that element, however, since the screen gets hard when a beautiful girl is around. Otherwise it is soft. [I'm still talking about the 9550, btw ...
    That's some "funny ****e" there....
    11-08-09 07:57 AM
    I have a S1 with OS 5*328 on it so I'm going to assume that the text settings are pretty close. This is how mine is set and it seems to work really well. Go to setup/options/language and text input. Under Input style I have mine set Word Completion, save that, then click on the button under it "Show Text Input Options" I have everything checked with the exception of Predictive and the grayed out option under it. I also at times have shut it all off by changing it to Auto Correction, then once again going to Show Text Input Options and unchecking that. Bottom line is there are options, play around with them, try em out for a few days, you might just find a combo that works really well for you. I know I have. Enjoy!

Update
    I get my S2 delivered on Monday, I'll let you all know what I find about typing and settings, if it helps.
    Last edited by netwerks1; 11-08-09 at 08:06 AM.
    11-08-09 08:04 AM
    question was asked about where it was made... turns out it is mexico 5.. did a search on it and found the locations thread... does not appear to be a consistent string of bad phones...?

weather spotter.... that was a hoot!.... maybe i can use my phone as an early warning device for good looking women!.... or maybe that's why it wasn't cooperating at the soccer field...too many soccer moms around?... if it could talk it probably was saying:

" hey dude.. whats your problem.. leave me alone with the texting and pay attention!!!"

( just a little guy fun girls... don't be offended! ) if we keep this up we'll have to have a sensitivity training that we have to sign off before being able to post...
    11-08-09 08:13 AM
    netwerks1.. thanks for the insight. i'll dig in there and make some changes... ( maybe in making changes i went from what i though would make an improvement and just made it worse..

i actually tried that after my BB settled down from radar mode.. but then every time i hit the menu key the friggin keypad showed up and no matter how hard i tried.. i could not do the swipe thing to make it minimize or go away... ( yes i read the directions...)... then some time later in the evening it decided to work..

after a batter pull to see manufacture location.. i'll see if it acts different..

please dont tell me i'll be doing battery pulls every so many days to get it back in spec... the curve was bad enough.. and that was usually with the camera or an app until latest revision seemed to fix most of that.

thanks for the help and other comments so far...
    11-08-09 08:20 AM
    Interesting thing on the menu key...

after battery pull to check manufacture loc.. main screen ( with background and 2 lines of apps) went to full menu with all apps and not phone keypad when i hit the menu key......

like i said yesterday.. i kept hitting the menu key to get to an app and the phone kept coming up... over and over...

once again.. is it me.. or was my storm not paying attention again???
    11-08-09 08:30 AM
    please dont tell me i'll be doing battery pulls every so many days to get it back in spec...
    thanks for the help and other comments so far...
    Even tho I do not do it regularly myself, it is recommended to reboot your phone once a day. I have Quickpull and it seems to do the trick. I do try to do it as often as I remember, which is at least once every few days.

Watch out to see if it is you just finding the right settings and getting used to it or if it's a defective phone. If the keyboard is popping up every time you hit the menu key in all diff apps and screens, then yes, something is wrong with the phone. You can try to wipe it and reinstall the OS or just take it back and get a new one. Best of luck to you!
    11-08-09 08:30 AM
    Storm 2 (i.e. POS) is the worst touchscreen phone on the market.

Take advantage of your 30 exchange and get a real phone.
    Dude, we all know that you have a droid. If you love it so much, then why do you spend so much time in the S2 forums defending it? Just go give your little Motorola some love. It might help you with your anger issues.

11-08-09 08:32 AM
    another battery pull observation.. keyboard...

light touch..
    MANY MANY less errors...

but then again.. this is same thing from last battery pull and its only been since friday batt pull... so what;;;does it drift out of spec in 48 hours?
    11-08-09 08:33 AM
    You might have a defective screen. The menu key is right next to the phone key, so I reckon if you don't press in the right spot or the screen isnt calibrated right, it could bring up the keypad. If you can, you might want to go to the store and compare it to another one.
    11-08-09 08:36 AM
    Storm 2 (i.e. POS) is the worst touchscreen phone on the market.

Take advantage of your 30 exchange and get a real phone.
    "TROLL ALERT"

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that all this guy does is leave "NEGATIVE" posts about anything he writes, lookup his threads and posts. Besides the fact he has his "ALMIGHTY" droid, wtf is he doing in the Storm forums. G.A.L.L. = "Get A Life Loser"

Wonder if "BigMike" has a different username now??
    Last edited by JoelTruckerDude; 11-08-09 at 09:03 AM.
    11-08-09 08:53 AM
    woodsglen:

I actually feel like you do...your original post expresses many of my frustrations with trying to type a simple e-mail or, in fact, post a reply on mobile crackberry. Changing words, disappearing/reappearing keyboard, unintended zooming in, I just want to smash the phone with a sledgehammer.

HOWEVER, I think the tendency for us all is to overreact; when we first get something new like a cell phone and things go well, we think that everything will be perfect from then on. When they don't, we want to smash the phone against a wall. I'm going to keep working with the Storm2 and visit a local Verizon store to compare my issues with a demo unit and see if I should exchange it (as I've posted elsewhere, it seems that the screen simply becomes unresponsive at random times). As others have mentioned, you should probably do the same; if you've got 30 days to return it take advantage of that window. After gaining familiarity and fiddling with the settings you MIGHT find the Storm2 turns out to be exactly what you were looking for....or not. Myself (and I'm coming from an 8830 as well) I'm just not sure. I'll probably give it a week and then either go back to my old phone or try an exchange.

Anyway, we've all got to realize nothing's perfect. There will ALWAYS be compromises we've got to make.

Good Luck.
    11-08-09 09:16 AM
    Storm 2 = Same old Storm 1 with minor upgrades. The Storm 2 is nothing innovative and features nothing another smart phone doesn't already feature.

The issue is you went from a keyboard to a touchscreen. That is a very personal choice (ignore the bias posters who say "touchscreen is better you just need more time") and you either love it or you don't. If you're not comfortable with a touchscreen take it back. I know many people who cannot deal with a touch screen. It's personal preference and there's nothing wrong with that...something certain folks here are too ignorant to understand.
    11-08-09 09:43 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD