ok i need help to make sure, but i think i may have found a possible way to get full quality youtube and even watch google video on the storm.

i loaded orb recently and was playing with it and then noticed a 'Online VIdeos" section under video. it gives you the ability to search all of youtube and google video plus some others. i was able to play a google video and it "Seemed" to be much higher quality than streaming through m.youtube.com or through the youtube app.

i was thinking, if this is processed on the remote side on your pc or on their server, maybe its sending over a higher res feed? after all, it can send you a high res feed from your pc from your own files...

anyone else try this or see this? i havent seen this posted and i check the board daily, but i may have missed it.

also i could be wrong, the quality could be the same, it could be a placebo effect, but it did seem much clearer.
    01-06-09 05:22 PM
    I don't understand why Google just doesn't update the YouTube app to just streap MP4? WTF is so hard about that Google!?!?!?
    01-06-09 05:29 PM
    Seriously though, the Storm can take H264 videos so I don't know why it can't use the same iPhone youtube vids.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 05:37 PM
    I just use the mobile youtube site at http://m.youtube.com. It works great for me. Quality seems about the same as an iPhone. I deleted the Youtube app a long time ago, although I suspect they'll come out with a new one around the time when the App Center opens.

I haven't tried google video yet.
    01-06-09 05:38 PM
    Come on Cray, you've been around long enough to know to post new threads in the proper sub-forum. Please make sure to post new threads about 3rd party apps in the Storms 3rd party apps sub-forum.
    01-06-09 05:39 PM
    Come on Cray, you've been around long enough to know to post new threads in the proper sub-forum. Please make sure to post new threads about 3rd party apps in the Storms 3rd party apps sub-forum.
    sorry crucial, i guess because orb is a website and works using the phones native media player and not an actual application i wasnt thinking of it as a 3rd party app.
    01-06-09 05:49 PM
    I just use the mobile youtube site at http://m.youtube.com. It works great for me. Quality seems about the same as an iPhone. I deleted the Youtube app a long time ago, although I suspect they'll come out with a new one around the time when the App Center opens.

I haven't tried google video yet.

trust me its not. if you compare the iphone next to the storm, you can see a big difference. (atleast thats what i saw when i did it with my friends iphone and alot of people have reported seeing this)
    01-06-09 05:50 PM
    The iPhone's video on youtube looks great when connected to Wifi, but not on ATT's wireless network. I had a applefanboyfriend tell me that straight out of his mouth.

Bottom line; iPhone Youtube = Storm Youtube when they both use their respective networks for internet access.
    01-06-09 08:01 PM
    i think we got off topic. i dont want to compare iphone to storm, that wasnt my intention.

most of us are unhappy with the quality of youtube on the storm since its compressed for regular old dumb phones.

so i am hoping this could be a way of improving the quality.
    01-06-09 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD