So I was told that I can connect my Storm to a laptop and it will give me the internet on my laptop b/c of the browser. Is this true..

leaving for St. Maarten soon and was going to get the verizon aircard for my laptop, but if this is true i wont waste my money
    01-08-09 03:43 PM
    As far as I know, you still need to pay for the service to tether it. I think it costs $60 total to tether: $15 if you have the $45 data plan and $30 if you have the $30 data plan. So it works out the same either way. If you have the expensive data plan, I'd say go ahead and tether it but if you have the cheaper one, just getting the aircard would probably be more convenient and I think it's still $30.
    01-08-09 03:45 PM
    thank u for the help.. very much appreciated..
    01-08-09 03:49 PM
    What if you have the unlimited data plan?
    01-08-09 03:51 PM
    You'll also want to be absolutely positive that your plan covers data access from your destination. If it doesn't, and you use it to tether you may get charged some insane per KB rate without knowing it until the bill comes in.
    01-08-09 03:54 PM
    ...there are a couple of considerations with regard to tethering:

You can not browse or download while in a telephone call; this can impact you if you are downloading or streaming anything.

Tethering can be an issue if you travel. Here in America, we are told that the tethering feature will only work here and not oversea's (or at least dependant on the contract for the roaming carrier) so it is something you will want to think about.

There is a data limit on tethering and if you go over there will be additional expense so do your homework; have a good estimate of what you think your usage will be and calculate for overages if they occur.

Overall, I believe tethering is a great option with respectable speeds but I dont think is the best option for a power user to be sure to get lots of feedback before you make any permenant changes to your plan.

I have the tethering option just because it is so affordable but dont know if I would want to rely on it as my sole ISP.

...just my opinion.
    01-08-09 03:58 PM
    so my phone should have no issues in St. Maarten this april.. if i just use it to talk and txt.
    01-09-09 10:20 AM
    As far as I know, you still need to pay for the service to tether it. I think it costs $60 total to tether: $15 if you have the $45 data plan and $30 if you have the $30 data plan. So it works out the same either way. If you have the expensive data plan, I'd say go ahead and tether it but if you have the cheaper one, just getting the aircard would probably be more convenient and I think it's still $30.
    Tru but the Broadband data card usually requires a contract where the tethering is just a feature that you can add and take off when not needed.
    01-09-09 10:29 AM
    You certainly CANNOT use tethering as your sole ISP lol its only 5GB & I go through that in less than 15 days (and NO its NOT from downloading illegal content) using video conferencing, uploading test image files to our website etc... I think you should be able to utilise your STORM via tether in St. Maarten but I WOULD call VZW to verify this LONG before passing through security.
    01-09-09 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD