I know all batteries get broken in but ive gone from 'the worst battery ever' to really good!
    A couple complete discharges, turning GPS off, turning global network off, and a few other things has about tripled my battery life!
    12-08-08 09:50 PM
    sorry if i sound stupid (BB newb) but to turn the global network off you go under:
    options>mobile networks>data services>off?

just want to make sure im turing the right function off, i have to do something about my battery life, i got about a half a day use out of my storm today, missed a bunch of calls from work and important e-mails

thanks in advance
    12-08-08 10:11 PM
    Yeah if you dont mind just letting us know exactly what you did and how if you got the time i'd appreciate it as well.
    12-08-08 10:13 PM
    i believe it's in the manage connections menu Mobile Network Options> Network Technology
    12-08-08 10:15 PM
    Yea change network technology from global to 1XEV
    12-08-08 10:17 PM
    i believe it's in the manage connections menu Mobile Network Options> Network Technology
    Yup, supposedly that'll keep the phone from continually searching for a GSM signal when it doesn't need to. Whether that amounts to a battery savings, who knows...
    12-08-08 10:18 PM
    Yeah, mine has been off charge for more than 14 hours now, and I only JUST went down 1 bar. Freakin awesome. A world of difference between this and my extended life battery on my old 'Q' that would last (at most 10 hours).

Just turned the backlight to down to 30, and the backlight timeout to 20secs. Turned off the LED Coverage flash and turned on the Auto-dim backlight.
    12-08-08 10:19 PM
    cool thanks guys, hope this helps
    12-08-08 10:19 PM
    Yeah what he said.....made a huge difference....but also just plain daily use...with a few complete dead discharged followed by long uninterrupted charges.
    Initially....me too : a half day with heavy use....
    Today : heavy use from dawn to 10:00pm...

X
    Yea change network technology from global to 1XEV
    12-08-08 10:23 PM
    if i turn data services I get 1xev not 1XEV as stated by Humtek
    12-08-08 10:25 PM
    if i turn data s
    ervices I get 1xev not 1XEV as stated by Humtek
    Leave data services on
    12-08-08 10:29 PM
    Humtek didn't say to turn data services off. Just change Network Technology from Global to 1XEV.
    12-08-08 10:31 PM
    Sorry about that. Thank guys.
    12-08-08 10:34 PM
    if i turn data services I get 1xev not 1XEV as stated by Humtek
    No you want data services on.
    Manage Connections-> Mobile Network Options-> Network Technology: 1XEV

In 'Global' mode, the Storm supports both CDMA (Verizon) and GSM (Internation carriers) network. It's only a theory, but with that on it could be powering the GSM radio. Which would be pointless unless you travel internationally (or had unlocked your Storm to use on AT&T / T-Mobile).
    12-08-08 10:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD