03-03-09 11:25 AM
100 1234
tools
    "when I had .75 I was lucky to get 6 hours before my battery went completely dead. Then I upgraded to a higher OS and immediately my battery life would last around 2 days. I wouldn't believe it but experienced it first hand."

I think that kind of improvement in standby & web-surfing, etc. time is entirely possible... Just not in "talk-time."
    02-25-09 11:03 AM
    Another thing I noticed, which i'll add to the first post:

The confirmation "changes made" screen, the boxes "save, discard, cancel" are now farther apart - Looks kinda funky...

Also, I don't see the color depth thing people are talking about...
    02-25-09 11:08 AM
    well guys i must say you all have convinced me. I'm going to go upgrade right now to .109 just one quick question ... when you do this and back everything up; does that save messages and things like that as well? and also i have a memory card in my phone 8 gig almost full lol, would it be of any difference to take it out while doing this upgrade? I have nothing on my blackberry memory and everything on my Micro SD
    02-25-09 11:17 AM
    Another thing I noticed, which i'll add to the first post:

The confirmation "changes made" screen, the boxes "save, discard, cancel" are now farther apart - Looks kinda funky...

Also, I don't see the color depth thing people are talking about...
    I'm wondering about the color depth thing too... what are people noticing that doesn't look right?
    02-25-09 11:25 AM
    Well, it was certianly worth it! I am a long time reader, but never really had the guts to do it....but now that I'm onto .109, I must say my Storm has become a much better device (I don't know about a whole new one, but it has become much nicer to use). My observations (these are solely from a .75 to .109 view):

-Faster - the system is much more responsive
    -Memory - I now have 51MB of mem after a battery pull, instead of 46.
    -Browser is much quicker
    -Mute button doesn't do anything anymore...wtf?
    -Screen will stay dark until you hit the unlock button - sweet, now it won't turn on in my pocket like it always does
    -Transparent Camera bottom - nice little feature - camera is also a little bit quicker than before - no black screen save thingy...
    -Full portrait keyboard - nice touch
    -No more custom ringtone issues when on vibrate only
    -Battery life is much stronger - a 1hr phone call with my girlfriend that used to eat about 25% of my battery now only took about 10%...
    -Calendar shows all day tasks as long bars, not bolding the day out
    -Music player much quicker
    -No typing lag (or at least very minimal)
    -No phantom key hits (aka, you would be typing something and the keyboard would dissapear and you would randomly select something on screen).
    EDITED IN RECENT FINDINGS:
    -The confirmation "changes made" screen, the boxes "save, discard, cancel" are now farther apart - Looks kinda funky...
    -What is the color depth issue people are talking about...everything looks the same as it did on .75...

There's probably more, but this is what I have found so far....

It is really worth the jump .75ers! And it was easy as pie to do!
    I am a .75 user and was waiting but it looks like it is well worth it.
    02-25-09 11:27 AM
    I just upgraded yesterday from .75 to .109. Like others, I was following the beta OS releases waiting for one that I thought was stable enough to upgrade to. I'm glad I did. Lots of little things have been improved and the phone is a ton faster. It seemed really safe and straightforward just like official updates I've done in the past. I upgraded a coworkers this morning and his was just as smooth as well. I haven't noticed any bugs with .109 yet, but I've only had it a day. I highly recommend upgrading from .75 and not waiting on Verizon to approve an OS.
    02-25-09 11:30 AM
    I upgrade from .75 to .109 last night before leaving work.
    Think I'll copy these comments into the findings thread as well.

No significant improvements over 75. My phone was very stable, and I upgraded out of curiosity, rather than real need.

1. Battery life is very good. left work last night with full charge. Played a podcast for an hour drive home. Ran slacker for an hour on the way in this am. Presently, at 60%. Not an improvement, since no issues on .75
    2. Gmail app working fine. Slacker working fine. No issues with BES. It reactivated on the BES server without a problem, and took a few minutes to pull all the emails and contacts.
    3. all my settings were restored. call log restored.
    4. Accelerometer maaaaybe a bit faster. Nothing to brag about.
    5. Google maps is in order.
    6. Profile Qwerty keyboard is useless. I'm much faster with suretype.
    7. Application switcher attached to holding the BB button comes up much faster in some cases. Not sure if there's a setting to change that delay.
    02-25-09 11:31 AM
    I really appreciate this thread. I've been waiting for a relatively bug-free OS and it looks like this might be the thing to tide me over until Rim and Verizon deliver the next official OS. Upgrading soon - thanks again!
    02-25-09 12:00 PM
    Anyone had any downsides to going to this leaked .109?
    02-25-09 12:36 PM
    .109 is fantastic so far.
    02-25-09 12:40 PM
    To the fence sitters (ie. waiting and waiting) I say the wait is over. This .109 upgrade is well worth it. Like others in this post, I upgraded from .75 and I'm glad I did. It fixes a lot of nuisance items that would make you want to throw the device out the window during daily use.

Here are a couple of highlights for me:

Accelerometer: 100% improvement. It no longer has a mind of its own (ie. going landscape when you really wish it would stay in portrait mode). This was my #1 pet peeve and almost forced me back to the iPhone. It's now tolerable!

Lock Button: Goes in and out of lock much faster. The biggest bonus is that the camera button, screen button, and left side button no longer activate the screen (stays dark). The 4 front buttons still activate the screen.

Full Keyboard Portrait Option: This is a big improvement for one handed typing in portrait mode. It's great for firing off a quick reply for those of us that never warmed up to the suretype keyboard. I always disliked having to go landscape to a type shorthand message with non-dictionary terms.

WeatherBug: Works great still. I ended up reinstalling it (same version 274) because it was unstable after upgrading. After the reinstall all was well and it works faster than before. It still hangs a little but there are no more long hangs.

I can also confirm most of the other positive comments left by other happy campers. But the upgrade is not without it's trip-ups. Here are a couple I had:

Service Books: You probably need to resend these when upgrading. I had to for the email. I also had to delete and restore the browser service book to get internet back.

Signal Strength: Perhaps its me but the signal does not register as strong as it once did in and around my house. Call quality seems fine so probably not a big issue. Those that had early versions of the iPhone might remember that Apple tweaked the signal strength while trying to improve battery life. This may be happening with RIM as well. The jury is still out on this one.

I have had 1 or two uncommanded reboots. I hesitate to mention them since they occured on the heels of me messing around with Java games that were not designed for the Storm. Otherwise the OS has been very fast and stable.

Once again, I recommend that you take the plunge now rather than waiting for Verizon. You will be glad you did. All of the information you need to do it can be found right here in the Crackberry forums.
    02-25-09 12:53 PM
    this latest leaked os is so much better than original. If you haven't made the jump, I would!
    02-25-09 12:54 PM
    I was going to upgrade to the .103 but was just waiting for life to settle down if I had any problems so I could easily spend a day trying to figure out the problem.

So .109 came out and decided to make the jump. Everything went fine. Just had initial problems installing the .109 program in the computer but just reinstalled it and was fine. Plugged in the phone and I couldn't believe how easy it was.

I have pretty much used every program and have not encountered any big problems.

The only problem i am having is with my email not being pushed through as fast. I had problems setting up before in .76 but I think I will just have to reset everthing from scratch which isn't a huge problem. Also I get some browser lag but nothing compared to as before.

Simply great
    02-25-09 01:03 PM
    I made the leap from .75 yesterday and Iam very pleased. First post, great result,thanks Crackberry.
    02-25-09 01:32 PM
    Does anyone but me have a major memory drain issue. Went from 75 to 109 and now I'm dropping below 30 in less than 1 hour. Otherwise I love 109

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 01:42 PM
    there's definitely a huge difference from .75 (slow) compared to the .109 build. My Storm is looking more and more like the Storm it should have always been.
    Assuming it was supposed to look like a well functioning phone...
    02-25-09 01:52 PM
    Does anyone but me have a major memory drain issue. Went from 75 to 109 and now I'm dropping below 30 in less than 1 hour. Otherwise I love 109

H3ll...I dont even make it above 29mb now on .75...and thats after a battery pull.

What are you starting at?
    02-25-09 02:02 PM

Have you done a battery pull with it yet? On first boot with the OS, the system seemed to eat mem real fast, and then I rebooted and I've had 0 issues since - I've been hovering around 45 (from 51) since last night...
    02-25-09 02:03 PM
    I'm curious enough to make the jump myself. I just got my storm this past weekend but am a bit annoyed by some of the menu and keyboard lag. If it is as painless as a lot of you make it out to be, I am gonna jump aboard. Lots of you have very reassuring comments. My technical ability is not a factor in this matter. I just don't have a lot of time at the moment to invest but would still like a faster storm. I will download, install, and report back after it is all completed.
    02-25-09 02:05 PM
    Just made the jump.....big improvement over .75.
    02-25-09 02:09 PM
    need help making the jump from .75 > .109. help please
    02-25-09 02:13 PM

I've had the same issue.. Will have 50MB after a battery pull and be down to 27MB within an hour. I made the leap about 48hrs ago and have fallen in love with my Storm all over again.. still worth the upgrade!
    02-25-09 02:25 PM
    Does anyone know of an alternative way to reconnect to BES without pestering my IT department? My company does BES activation OTA and I can't connect using DM. I remember someone potentially mentioning a keyboard shortcut. I'm ready to make the leap from .75 but for this one issue.
    02-25-09 02:46 PM
    I jumped from 75 to 109 and am thoroughly happy i made the move, my overall experience has been a lot better....
    02-25-09 02:50 PM
    Does anyone know of an alternative way to reconnect to BES without pestering my IT department? My company does BES activation OTA and I can't connect using DM. I remember someone potentially mentioning a keyboard shortcut. I'm ready to make the leap from .75 but for this one issue.
    Considering I'm a new user, take this with a grain of salt. But I don't think there is a way for you to request and activation code without having a BES administrator involved.

But as a new BES administrator, I can tell you that all they have to do is right click on your name and click on "Generate and Email activation password".

Then you can do the upgrade and activate it OTA after the upgrade is complete. I've done it for the .103/.106 hybrid and for .109.
    02-25-09 02:53 PM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD