03-03-09 11:25 AM
100 123 ...
tools
    Well, it was certianly worth it! I am a long time reader, but never really had the guts to do it....but now that I'm onto .109, I must say my Storm has become a much better device (I don't know about a whole new one, but it has become much nicer to use). My observations (these are solely from a .75 to .109 view):

-Faster - the system is much more responsive
    -Memory - I now have 51MB of mem after a battery pull, instead of 46.
    -Browser is much quicker
    -Mute button doesn't do anything anymore...wtf?
    -Screen will stay dark until you hit the unlock button - sweet, now it won't turn on in my pocket like it always does
    -Transparent Camera bottom - nice little feature - camera is also a little bit quicker than before - no black screen save thingy...
    -Full portrait keyboard - nice touch
    -No more custom ringtone issues when on vibrate only
    -Battery life is much stronger - a 1hr phone call with my girlfriend that used to eat about 25% of my battery now only took about 10%...
    -Calendar shows all day tasks as long bars, not bolding the day out
    -Music player much quicker
    -No typing lag (or at least very minimal)
    -No phantom key hits (aka, you would be typing something and the keyboard would dissapear and you would randomly select something on screen).
    EDITED IN RECENT FINDINGS:
    -The confirmation "changes made" screen, the boxes "save, discard, cancel" are now farther apart - Looks kinda funky...
    -What is the color depth issue people are talking about...everything looks the same as it did on .75...
    -NEW EDIT
    -Signal strength appears to work better - my home is somewhat of a cell phone ****, and I would get dropped calls at least 1-2 times I was on the phone for more than 20 min - my phone calls have not dropped yet, and I have an extra bar now in my usual sitting area...

There's probably more, but this is what I have found so far....

It is really worth the jump .75ers! And it was easy as pie to do!
    Last edited by marlin29311; 02-25-09 at 02:05 PM.
    02-25-09 06:19 AM
    It's interesting to see how far the builds have come when you make leaps instead of incremental upgrades.
    02-25-09 06:36 AM
    there's definitely a huge difference from .75 (slow) compared to the .109 build. My Storm is looking more and more like the Storm it should have always been.
    02-25-09 06:43 AM
    That sounds awesome ... Maybe ill take the leap too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 06:44 AM
    "Battery life is much stronger - a 1hr phone call with my girlfriend that used to eat about 25% of my battery now only took about 10%"

No offense, but there's no way that changing the OS suddenly gave this phone ten hours of talk-time vs. 4.5.
    02-25-09 06:48 AM
    "Battery life is much stronger - a 1hr phone call with my girlfriend that used to eat about 25% of my battery now only took about 10%"

No offense, but there's no way that changing the OS suddenly gave this phone ten hours of talk-time vs. 4.5.
    No offense, but this is something that I noticed - a 1 hour phone call dropped my battery from 70% to 60%.
    02-25-09 07:14 AM
    Same move here. so far so good. We'll see how the battery lasts today. I may dump Weatherbug. I have my setting to update hourly and location off so it shouldn't be draining too badly. Browser is really quick, faster than my computer. Love the portrait qwerty keyboard.

time will tell.
    02-25-09 07:25 AM
    Well, it was certianly worth it! I am a long time reader, but never really had the guts to do it....but now that I'm onto .109, I must say my Storm has become a much better device (I don't know about a whole new one, but it has become much nicer to use). My observations (these are solely from a .75 to .109 view):

-Faster - the system is much more responsive
    -Memory - I now have 51MB of mem after a battery pull, instead of 46.
    -Browser is much quicker
    -Mute button doesn't do anything anymore...wtf?
    -Screen will stay dark until you hit the unlock button - sweet, now it won't turn on in my pocket like it always does
    -Transparent Camera bottom - nice little feature - camera is also a little bit quicker than before - no black screen save thingy...
    -Full portrait keyboard - nice touch
    -No more custom ringtone issues when on vibrate only
    -Battery life is much stronger - a 1hr phone call with my girlfriend that used to eat about 25% of my battery now only took about 10%...
    -Calendar shows all day tasks as long bars, not bolding the day out
    -Music player much quicker
    -No typing lag (or at least very minimal)
    -No phantom key hits (aka, you would be typing something and the keyboard would dissapear and you would randomly select something on screen).

There's probably more, but this is what I have found so far....

It is really worth the jump .75ers! And it was easy as pie to do!
    could i get a breakdown on how 2 get the .109 update
    02-25-09 07:33 AM

Could be how the OS was reporting the remaining battery life? I've heard others on this forum mention that the OS might not be reporting the true battery life remaining, but I don't know if there's any reality to that.
    02-25-09 08:21 AM
    First read over how to install an update here http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/ . Then download .109 here and install by following first link above.
    02-25-09 08:27 AM
    There are Threads in the forums to install .109. Go check them out with a search.
    02-25-09 08:28 AM
    i wish i knew how to do all this stuff but im new to blackberry so this is all alien to me im learning i love the storm wish it would take faster pics
    02-25-09 08:31 AM
    i wish i knew how to do all this stuff but im new to blackberry so this is all alien to me im learning i love the storm wish it would take faster pics
    Upgrade to .109 and it is almost instantaneous.
    02-25-09 08:32 AM
    Thanks for the info. I'm still on .75, and was waiting for VZW to release something. (I know, I know, could be a long wait). I may make the leap as well, and see what happens.
    02-25-09 08:35 AM
    i might do this as well. kind of getting tired of waiting. worse comes to worse you can always wipe it and install .75 back on there.
    02-25-09 08:46 AM
    i might do this as well. kind of getting tired of waiting. worse comes to worse you can always wipe it and install .75 back on there.
    That's basically what it came down to for me - I figured, everyone else is having a better Storm, why can't I? I was nervous at the first reboot (It took forever!), but the phone is working wonderful! I must say it is certianly worth doing it. And it was really easy to do too, I downloaded the file, backed up my BB, installed the OS, used DM to update the OS, and then just followed the few questions my phone asked me to do, and bam! my phone was just the way I left it, only now it was working a whole lot faster and better!
    02-25-09 08:52 AM
    I just upgraded from .75 to .109 and I all i can say is WOW!!! It is so much faster and seamless than .75. I'm glad I stepped out there and tried knowing I have the support of everyone at CrackBerry.com. ) I would say to people that want to try just follow the insructions in these forums and you will be alright. Thanks again for everyone's help and support. Cheers
    02-25-09 09:01 AM
    I took a picture of a clock when the second had was at 15 seconds - the recorded photo has the second hand at 16 seconds.

I like the portrait qwerty keyboard but the landscape keyboard seems easier to use now.

Also a first time upgrader. Was wai ting to hear of an OS worth the trouble to upgrade to. This is it.

I did find I had to reboot my PC after running the OS program - that step was not mentioned in the forums.

Now I know how to do an upgrade with a PC. Will come in handy when the new Official OS is released cause there will be quite a queue when that happens.

Thanks Crackberry!
    02-25-09 09:17 AM
    Does the .109 work on a 9500?
    my version is .78 lol
    02-25-09 09:44 AM
    Does the .109 work on a 9500?
    my version is .78 lol
    You have to download the version for the 9500 here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/of...thread-165989/
    02-25-09 09:50 AM
    thinkin i might make the leap tonight...
    02-25-09 09:54 AM
    thinkin i might make the leap tonight...
    To all the .75 ers and .76ers out there!! just do it!! i was scared to death when i first did it, but you follow the instructions it's easy as cream pie!! and well worth it! plus all the members here would help in a heart beat if you need it. It's well worth it!

Good luck to all!
    02-25-09 10:00 AM

No offense but when I had .75 I was lucky to get 6 hours before my battery went completely dead. Then I upgraded to a higher OS and immediately my battery life would last around 2 days. I wouldn't believe it but experienced it first hand.
    02-25-09 10:08 AM
    Before I went from .75 to.99 and instantly went back the next day after the battery draining and bbm freezing a bunch so I guess this is my first official upgrade and I'm happy I did it. After my first unsuccessful upgrade I had decided to wait until an official release and am so glad I didn't!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 10:11 AM
    I have been waiting and waiting for a leak that doesn't have as many bugs. When .99 came out it scared me off from betas.

After reading this post from all of my fellow .75ers...I think I'm goin to take the plunge tonight too!
    02-25-09 10:17 AM
100 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD