I was very annoyed that I got a "text message" whenever I recieved a voicemail. I was being alerted by the same tone as my sms messages, so it led me to think I had a text message (especially since it is borat telling me I have one). I tried and tried to get it to either go away, or better yet play a different tone so I knew the difference without having to look. I am slowly becoming familiar with all the settings the storm has to offer, and came across an idea to make my wishes come true.

I saw that the sms message was titled "Voice Mail (my number)". So I thought I may be able to set a custom tone to MY number. Well look at that, an idea of mine worked for once.

So in conclusion, if you want your voicemail alert to be distinctive, add your own number to your contacts and set a custom tone to messages for yourself.

I hope I have helped some people, I know I will love the storm even more after figuring this one out.

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS:
    (For Storm users only, I am not familiar with other phones that may have different settings.)
    Go to "Contacts", press -BB button-, select "New contact". Add YOUR info (the important part is the exact number associated to your phone). Press -BB Button- and select "Save".

Now, go to the home screen. Click on the sound indicator on the top left of the screen (looks like a speaker with ))) after it. Scroll to the bottom of that list and select "Set Contact Alerts".

Click on "Contact Names", click "Add Name" on the menu that pops up. Find your contact info (the one you entered at the beginning of this) and select it.

Select "Messages", and under "Ring Tone" you can select any ringtone you like, and adjust other settings if you would like. But the ringtone is the important part.

When you have edited those settings, press the -BB Button- and select "Save". Press the -BB button- again and select "Save".

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Hillmire; 03-24-09 at 12:16 PM.
    02-23-09 12:50 PM
    Thank you, from one bb newbie to another.
    Last edited by flipbird; 03-05-09 at 04:17 AM.
    03-05-09 04:12 AM
    Glad I helped at least one person
    03-05-09 08:28 AM
    I never even thought about that...thanks!

03-05-09 08:37 AM
    I like where your heads at.
    03-05-09 08:52 AM
    YAY! Thanks! I'm glad it's possible to set a voicemail alert.
    03-07-09 12:32 PM
    good idea! nice work!
    03-07-09 01:32 PM
    GENIUS!!! Thanks!
    03-07-09 01:57 PM
    Thank You Sooooo Much!
    03-16-09 01:53 AM
    Don't know why but your work around doesn't work on mine.
    03-23-09 07:47 PM
    Don't know why but your work around doesn't work on mine.
    OK...

It actually works... But just once...

I set it, then call myself and send to voicemail.

It then plays the new ringtone I set for my number.

I send an SMS message to myself from another mobile phone and it plays the tone that I have set for SMS...

Sounds good right...

Wrong...

I then call myself again and leave another voicemail and somehow it reverts back to the tone set for SMS messages.

The actual settings do not change but the tone defaults back after one time for some reason.

Has anyone else found this to be happening ?
    03-23-09 08:38 PM
    wow thanks man this is cool
    03-23-09 08:53 PM
    JSal69, do you know what OS you are running? I recall having similar problems in .75. But .109, .114 and .114 hybrid I have had no problems. Thats the only thing I can think of that would cause that to happen.
    03-24-09 01:23 AM

Now, go to the home screen. Click on the sound indicator on the top left of the screen (looks like a speaker with ))) after it. Scroll to the bottom of that list and select "Set Contact Alerts".
    I don't see "set contact alerts" where is that?
    03-24-09 11:46 AM
    If it isn't at the bottom of that screen that popped up after you scrolled down, I don't know. It's there for me, and I think that is the only way to get to it.

Can you tell me what you do see there? It should go in this order:

Select a Sound Profile
    Normal
    Loud
    Medium
    Vibrate Only
    Silent
    Phone Calls Only
    All Alerts Off
    03-24-09 11:52 AM
    JSal69, do you know what OS you are running? I recall having similar problems in .75. But .109, .114 and .114 hybrid I have had no problems. Thats the only thing I can think of that would cause that to happen.
    Yup, it all makes sense now... I'm still running .75

That is why some of your instructions were a little off too, as far as step by step and what to click. I guess they also made subtle changes to the menu options.

Thanks.
    03-24-09 02:52 PM
    Thanks, an informative post.
    03-24-09 04:09 PM
    Great post! Just did it on mine and sent a vmail to test and it works great. I assign ringers and alerts for various contacts and it throws me off when i have a vm and the alert comes in as another contact's alert.

Thank you!

Running bbcrackman .114 hybrid
    03-24-09 05:11 PM
    I was very annoyed that I got a "text message" whenever I recieved a voicemail. I was being alerted by the same tone as my sms messages, so it led me to think I had a text message (especially since it is borat telling me I have one). I tried and tried to get it to either go away, or better yet play a different tone so I knew the difference without having to look. I am slowly becoming familiar with all the settings the storm has to offer, and came across an idea to make my wishes come true.

I saw that the sms message was titled "Voice Mail (my number)". So I thought I may be able to set a custom tone to MY number. Well look at that, an idea of mine worked for once.

So in conclusion, if you want your voicemail alert to be distinctive, add your own number to your contacts and set a custom tone to messages for yourself.

I hope I have helped some people, I know I will love the storm even more after figuring this one out.

(For Storm users only, I am not familiar with other phones that may have different settings.)
    Go to "Contacts", press -BB button-, select "New contact". Add YOUR info (the important part is the exact number associated to your phone). Press -BB Button- and select "Save".

Click on "Contact Names", click "Add Name" on the menu that pops up. Find your contact info (the one you entered at the beginning of this) and select it.

Select "Messages", and under "Ring Tone" you can select any ringtone you like, and adjust other settings if you would like. But the ringtone is the important part.

When you have edited those settings, press the -BB Button- and select "Save". Press the -BB button- again and select "Save".

Enjoy.
    Ok i did it exactly like you wrote and it works with the voicemail but now everytime i get a text/sms i also get the voicemail message?----So what im i doing wrong?--
    03-24-09 08:52 PM

Enjoy.
    I take it this will now show every voicemail being "sent by" (your #)? Because currently whenever I get a Verizon Voicemail Alert SMS is shows exactly who left it (contact name). Which is cool, except if I have an SMS chat currently going on with that specific contact, then when I receieve the alert sayign NEW VOICEMAIL FROM (Contact Name) Dial *86.... I can no longer continue chatting with that Contact via SMS UNLESS I DELETE the whole conversation which ticks me off because I want to keep the chat going.
    06-13-10 11:53 AM
    Thanks for the info! A great help!
    06-19-10 11:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD