The blackberry storm is a great phone after all it is a BlackBerry. But what makesor breaks this phone in my opinion is the lack of a trackball. After all that is what all blackberrys have. By excluding the trackball it became more of an Iphone competator than a touch screen blackberry. It would have kept all its main features but would have been keping up with the touch screen trend in cell phones. It would have put it in its own league as the first clickable touch screen but as a blackberry too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 10:24 PM
    Click screen, touchscreen. ... And trackball?
    I think your ideas are a bit flawed, but that's my opinion.
    A trackball on this would he too much and pointless.

03-28-09 10:28 PM
    Having a trackball would make scrolling web pages easier and make it scroll abs edit text easier without it its top Iphone wanna be

03-28-09 10:35 PM
    Sadly enough, no matter who says what the storm and iphone are competitors.

03-28-09 10:45 PM
    Naturally every cell phone is an Iphone competator but it would made it more of a blackberry than a more direct copied version that failed

03-28-09 10:49 PM
    You really consider this a failed phone? I do not see the two are related in the least. If you want a toy buy an IPhone. If you want a powerful work tool buy a BlackBerry. Although the Storm is taking me some getting use to I am already seeing the benefits to my productivity and connectivity. Thank you RIM for another great product.
    03-28-09 11:03 PM
    I agree, BlackBerry's has been great devices for years, and many years to come. People actually use this phone for more reasons then one, and the Storm is a very nice device.

You really consider this a failed phone? I do not see the two are related in the least. If you want a toy buy an IPhone. If you want a powerful work tool buy a BlackBerry. Although the Storm is taking me some getting use to I am already seeing the benefits to my productivity and connectivity. Thank you RIM for another great product.
    03-28-09 11:10 PM
    I see it as a failure due to its shaking software and lack of ease of use it takes much nore to get used to and many of the users returned it for tees two issues. I do love the phone coming from a sidekick 3. But it does fail due to the hype surrounding it and it didn't meet its expectations

03-28-09 11:11 PM
    They dude is right. A track ball wouldve made this phone some much better. copy/paste, text editing (even with newest update) and especially selecting links while browsing. Maybe STORM 2 will have it. I do love the phone thou
    03-28-09 11:13 PM
    You guys are definitly entitled to your opinions and I respect that. But I agree with Brian. I think the track ball would have taken away from the Storm design. I am zipping all over the place fine without it and find it a pleasure to be able to use my fingers instead of the track ball. No, the part that is taking me some getting use to is the typing. But give me a month and I am sure my speed will be back up to where it had been. (maybe 2)
    03-28-09 11:28 PM
    Now I aint bashin it like its horrible but it defiantly could have been better off the bat rather than needing os upgrades it should be less of an issue but it is like a condemned building being renovated than a freshly built condo

03-28-09 11:30 PM
    I don't think that the target audience that RIM was aiming at was the one that wants a trackball driven device. This phone was undoubtedly meant for the touchscreen only crowd- like the iphone. A whole different subset of the consumer base. Only time will tell how smartphones will evolve or what style will be the next flavor of the month.

03-29-09 06:15 AM
    i think that a trackball would be helpful especially since they did NOTHING to modify the menus to be touch friendly
    03-29-09 03:37 PM
    i like it without the trackbell - one less thing to mess with! =)
    03-29-09 03:39 PM
    The key word here is redundancy, the click/touch screen was designed to replace the trackball. Did they do a good job of it, I would have to say no, many will disagree with me. But even if they didn't get it quite right, I see no need to have a trackball on the Storm, modifications to the touch screen code which RIM seems to be ignoring right now, would make more sense than adding a redundant trackball, we don't need 3 ways to do everything. You want a trackball, RIM more than has you covered with a multitude of devices.......
    03-29-09 04:44 PM
    Storm doesn't need a trackball at all. I find my I.M apps etc are alot easier to navigate on my Storm then my 8900. If RIM had made a touchscreen OS built for the Storm it would be even better.
    03-29-09 04:48 PM
    Not all Blackberrys have trackballs. My first Blackberry had a trackwheel :P Forgot about that eh?
    Anyways - Trackball + Storm is pointless. Physical/Touchscreen phones = Fail. Well maybe the 9900 model might be nice...
    03-29-09 05:19 PM
    The key word here is redundancy, the click/touch screen was designed to replace the trackball. Did they do a good job of it, I would have to say no, many will disagree with me. But even if they didn't get it quite right, I see no need to have a trackball on the Storm, modifications to the touch screen code which RIM seems to be ignoring right now, would make more sense than adding a redundant trackball, we don't need 3 ways to do everything. You want a trackball, RIM more than has you covered with a multitude of devices.......

I am curious, why do you think RIM got it wrong with their touch/click screen?
    03-29-09 05:51 PM
    I am curious, why do you think RIM got it wrong with their touch/click screen?
    I think they fell short with the effort in a few places. Scrolling through long lists is the 1st thing that comes to mind. The responsiveness of the keyboard even with the newer leaks is another. Accelerometer performance while improved is not fluid, accessing the phone functionality is somewhat cumbersome as well. The web browsing experience could benefit from some sort of gesture based navigation. The operation of the camera and scrolling through pictures is a frustrating proposition whether you are viewing thumbnails or full screen.

Even with the newer leaks, I have get a general feeling of instability in how the phone goes about doing what it does. These things can all be addressed in software and I know some of my issues might be considered irrelevant in the trackball debate, but they are all core OS functionality which is why I included them.....
    03-29-09 06:11 PM
    as it stands .75 isnt very fluid (but gets the job done) the betas really make the touchscreen work well.

Some people dont like the fact that you have to "click" on a touchscreen, but for me i think its ingenious and with even more polishing i believe it is probably going to be the best. With the haptics or actually knowing that you have clicked something, it adds a whole other layer of depth to the device.
    03-29-09 06:16 PM
    i like it without the trackbell - one less thing to mess with! =)
    Me too, that was one of the few pluses about it. Trackballs fail to often due to dirt, grim and debris from daily usage.
    03-29-09 07:36 PM
    Not all Blackberrys have trackballs. My first Blackberry had a trackwheel :P Forgot about that eh?
    Anyways - Trackball + Storm is pointless. Physical/Touchscreen phones = Fail. Well maybe the 9900 model might be nice...

Wow, I forgot about the track wheel. I guess that memory buried itself in shame.
    03-30-09 04:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD