I seem to have a major memory leak. After 12 hrs of usage my app memory was down to only 2.7 mb. With a battery pull it goes back up to 32 mb. I'm running .99 with viigo and gmaps running. Even if i close them the memory still doesn't improve without a battery pull. What can i do to stop the leak?
    02-02-09 08:03 PM
    Let's see: You are running a leaked/beta version, so expect oddness.
    If you disable viigo and gmaps then do a pull, what's your memory at?
    If you then do not run viigo and/or gmaps what's your memory at after 12 hours?
    If you try running viigo alone after a pull, what's the memory at after 12 hours?
    If you try running gmaps alone after a pull, what's the memory at after 12 hours?
    The goal here is to determine what is causing the "leak" and then not use that. Don't expect the memory to rebound instantly. It will rebound when it needs to and it looks like only as much as it needs to.
    02-02-09 09:05 PM
    Last night when i went to bed i did a battery pull and the app mem was around 27mb with nothing but email running. When i woke up it was at 2.9mb. But i give it a try.
    A battery pull brings it back up to 32mb generally.
    Last edited by silinthar; 02-02-09 at 09:36 PM.
    02-02-09 09:31 PM
    It's Viigo.

I installed that app and had immediate memory leaks down to single digit MB available.

Deleted the app, back to about mid 30's and up.
    02-03-09 01:37 AM
    Same here I noticed i had 46mb then it went to 27mb then 15 and im running .99
    02-03-09 01:39 AM
    It's Viigo.

I installed that app and had immediate memory leaks down to single digit MB available.

Deleted the app, back to about mid 30's and up.
    I concur that viigo was responsible for my low mem problem. deleted app ... memory back in to 35-45 range
    02-03-09 01:47 AM
    FWIW I have Viigo, WeatherBug, ESPN, Facebook & QuickPull and currently have 42.2MB (phone has been on since 09:30 this morning). After running QuickPull I have up to 48MB free. Can apps use different amounts of memory on each OS?
    02-03-09 02:38 AM
    I've been monitoring my storm quite closely, and watching everybody else's complaints about memory leaks etc and compared them to my own phone. And quite honestly, while I've monitored the available memory as reported under Options -> Memory, I think it's more of an issue of how accurately free memory is reported to the user.

I can install and run apps, watch them eat memory, then kill the app and in most cases (not all) the freed memory isn't recognized when looking for it. Yet my storm isn't suffering for memory with what is still there.

Each day I'm more inclined to think that the available memory reported when you look for it will decrease when it's used, but doesn't always necessarily report accurately when memory is freed.

I've pulled twice since upgrading to .75, and noticed sometimes the storm is sluggish when 40+meg available, and sometimes it's lightning quick when I'm less than 20meg available. And to be honest... I can't believe when people complain about having less than 20meg available. For a handheld device, that's a substantial amount of free mem. Especially when you're dealing with flash memory.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 02-03-09 at 03:31 AM.
    02-03-09 03:24 AM
    I agree with RM Jones. I didnt notice memory leak until after upgrade to 99. I love Viigo and am not ready to give it up easily. I dont notice any performance change when memory reads 12. I am going to let it run a few days without a pull and see what happens. PS runs much better on .99
    02-03-09 03:59 AM
    I noticed Viigo ate a lot of memory. The more feeds you add the more it eats. Even setting the options to quit the app on close, it doesn't free up memory after the app quits.

I don't need RSS feeds that bad & simply deleted the app.

~X

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 04:09 AM
    The only reason that this is an issue for me is because when the memory gets down to 5mb or lower my phone starts to get really sluggish. That's why i ant to know the source. And i have come to rely on viigo for information. So i really hope that's not the source of the issue and may have to come to grips with that.
    02-03-09 05:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD