I'm sick of hearing about people switching from Blackberry to Droid. How can you go to a phone that is always bested by the new release the next week? At least Blackberry is stable, they have control of what company is making their products and they are stable.(plus Verizon offers them) Blackberry is a business phone that's it's main purpose and it does it well. The Droid is a great well rounded phone. My wife got the Evo Droid I used it for awhile but it just feels like a very busy phone with tons of useless crap on it; like stuff from google, Sprint and a lot of Social network stuff (because we all care what you're doing and feeling) I know Blackberry is offering the the social stuff but nothing I can do about that. Sorry had to vent on the Blackberry betrayers!
    06-06-10 03:13 PM
    I don't care WHAT phone ANYONE owns or touts. All I ask for is that those NOT using the Storms refrain from creating threads on other phones on this forum. Is that too much to ask? I'm happy with my BB and when I'm not, I'll switch to a different forum. Rest assured I'll never be posting on an iPhone forum... (MAYBE a droid sometime in the distant future, but I REALLY, REALLY don't want to give up BBM which is essential for me and my wife). Even if/when Android phones can do bluetooth voice dialing, the lack of BBM is a major issue for me.
    06-06-10 03:20 PM
    In the end, when blackberries have 1gig+ or flash memory, as well as high end processors, the playing field will separated via aesthetics (on both the os and physical design) for non-business users. Heck, once smartphones reach the same hardware specs as mid-range consumer computers, the market could be seen in the same light as shopping for a shiny new laptop today. Remember when computers had 256mb of ram? Well, smartphones should follow in the same evolutionary process, at a faster rate. I say good job rim for still doing what you have been. And google, I'm glad you stepped into the market to accommodate consumers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-10 06:40 PM
    Remember when computers had 256mb of ram?
    Do you remember 4mb and Windows 3.1?
    06-06-10 07:13 PM
    Do you remember 4mb and Windows 3.1?
    LOL! I remember DOS 2.11 and 640kb of RAM on my AT&T 6300. $2,500, monochrome (12") screen, no mouse, and a "whopping" 20MB HDD.
    06-06-10 07:26 PM
    I learned to program on a Radio Shack PC-1. I still have it and it still works - runs on 2 AA batteries! That had the 8KB expansion module and I thought I was in hog heaven!
    06-06-10 07:45 PM
    LOL! I remember DOS 2.11 and 640kb of RAM on my AT&T 6300. $2,500, monochrome (12") screen, no mouse, and a "whopping" 20MB HDD.
    +1, I remember those days. Then monitors started fighting over the shades of gray they could offer. lol
    06-06-10 08:15 PM
    A few years ago I saw a vintage ad for Apple that boasted a 10mb hard drive that had enough space you would never run out!

My first computer was a Commodore 128D...I ALWAYS ran it in 64 mode because I could never get anything to work in 128 mode...bleh.

I was only 8, though.
    06-06-10 09:24 PM
    Just waiting to see what is announced at Worldwide Developers Conference in the morning. If the iPhone is coming to Vzw by the end of the year, then there will be a switch made to my personal phone. If not, then I will be looking at an Android phone. OS6 may be too little, to late in my opinion.
    Of course, I will be keeping my Tour for work.
    06-06-10 10:15 PM
    Remember when this thread had a different topic? Those were the days.

I'm just foolin', but I agree that RIM has done a good job of sticking to its market principles, it just needs to stay technologically with the curve instead of minor incremental upgrades (i.e. 128 RAM to 256).
    06-06-10 10:29 PM
    Remember when this thread had a different topic? Those were the days.

I'm just foolin', but I agree that RIM has done a good job of sticking to its market principles, it just needs to stay technologically with the curve instead of minor incremental upgrades (i.e. 128 RAM to 256).
    Lest anyone forget, it took Apple TWO YEARS to provide cut and paste for the Jesus phone...and as of yet, no multitasking.
    06-07-10 12:13 AM
    Haha I rocked the radio shack trs-80!!
    06-07-10 02:28 AM
    Lest anyone forget, it took Apple TWO YEARS to provide cut and paste for the Jesus phone...and as of yet, no multitasking.
    Exactly and phones that just came out mention how they are better than iPhone. I'd hope so iPhone has been out for 2 years!
    06-07-10 02:31 AM
    In the end, when blackberries have 1gig+ or flash memory, as well as high end processors,

I heard a rumor that the new Iphone will have the Ipads processor and Video chat capabality. How will that affect BB users ,will you switch now?
    06-07-10 04:09 AM
    I heard a rumor that the new Iphone will have the Ipads processor and Video chat capabality. How will that affect BB users ,will you switch now?
    I don't care if the iPhone got the Intel Xenon Nehalem proc from the Mac Book Pro and holographic projection virtual video chat, I wouldn't want one. I'm not saying the iPhone is bad, it's just not for me.

06-07-10 04:18 AM
    Haha I rocked the radio shack trs-80!!
    Lol, the gool ol' Trash-80! I remember those days. Copying endless lines of code from a book to make your own Pong game, lol.

06-07-10 04:21 AM
    I don't care if the iPhone got the Intel Xenon Nehalem proc from the Mac Book Pro and holographic projection virtual video chat, I wouldn't want one. I'm not saying the iPhone is bad, it's just not for me.

and another rumor ,apple is gonna announce the iphone for ...ahemmm ,verizon,sprint,tmobile ..

How's that gonna change everything?

Sorry for the FUD.
    06-07-10 04:22 AM
    and another rumor ,apple is gonna announce the iphone for ...ahemmm ,verizon,sprint,tmobile ..

How's that gonna change everything?

Sorry for the FUD.
    Won't change a thing for me, unless it slows the network to a crawl.

06-07-10 04:27 AM
    Won't change a thing for me, unless it slows the network to a crawl.

Well,I hope RIM keeps up ,otherwise they'll become another nokia.
    06-07-10 04:41 AM
    My wife makes fun of me because of clicking screen, but at the same time, like you guys BlackBerry is for business. And thats what I use mine for, yeah Im on the social networking sites. I tweet and I facebook but I also rely on it for e-mailing and calendaring.
    06-07-10 07:16 AM
    You need to take a closer look at OS4.

They did some amazing stuff with that new OS as well as the hardware. The screen is stunning, it's lightning fast and the build quality is unmatched.

I don't have an iPhone, but I'm willing to give them their props.

And, yes... the iOS does multitask
    06-08-10 01:10 AM

They did some amazing stuff with that new OS as well as the hardware. The screen is stunning, it's lightning fast and the build quality is unmatched.

ah, it's not even called "OS4". It's called iOS4.

and yes, the high res screen and increased speed is nice.

however...I DON'T LIKE TYPING ON MOTIONLESS GLASS SCREENS! I have a Touch and HATE typing on it--it's too touchy and I make lots of mistakes (extraneous keystrokes).

Also, without BBM, it's going to be nigh impossible for another mfrgr to sway me to their cell phone.

My Storm does what I want it to do--gives me a great way to communicate, has a decent screen with great brightness, saturated colors and decent black levels. The speaker is awesomely loud (the iphone and touch has VERY wimpy speakers).

ah, AFAIK, iOS4 mostly does task switching, rather than true multitasking, except that apps like Pandora can FINALLY play in the background and there are a few other limited things that will happen concurrently.
    Last edited by dave1812; 06-08-10 at 09:22 AM.
    06-08-10 09:19 AM

oh, I forgot to mention, the iPhone has a terrible track record when it comes to the most basic feature of all--phone calls. Dropped calls are a way of life with iphone users. I never drop a call with my Storm. Perhaps Apple, being primarily a computer company missed some engineering details when they decided to make cell phones. If the dropped calls were all AT&T's fault, I'd think we would have heard more complaints from AT&T's customers using other cell phone models.
    06-08-10 09:41 AM
    Dave,

All you said is true, but I have to believe that RIM will have a real problem on their hand if iPhone ever stops being exclusive to AT&T. Carrier choice is the only reason that I have not even entertained the notion of an iPhone. If/when it hits Verizon, I will have to take a look.

That said, I still prefer the BB platform for many of the reasons you have stated, but I have to say, iPhone is closing the gap. It will be interesting to see how the technology evolves for iOS, BBOS, and Android moving forward. The competition is bound to give us all much better devices.

I have been a BlackBerry fan since I dumped Palm after the Palm V POS, so I do root for them. They just need to make sure they get back to innovation and not playing catch up. You do not win in markets like this with incremental change. When they launched, it was truly and innovative product that nobody could match. For the most part, they have been caught. What is next? They either innovate or go the way of Palm, never able to get beyond the first innovation that gave them market leader status.
    06-08-10 10:02 AM
    oh, I forgot to mention, the iPhone has a terrible track record when it comes to the most basic feature of all--phone calls. Dropped calls are a way of life with iphone users. I never drop a call with my Storm. Perhaps Apple, being primarily a computer company missed some engineering details when they decided to make cell phones. If the dropped calls were all AT&T's fault, I'd think we would have heard more complaints from AT&T's customers using other cell phone models.
    I'd actually blame AT&T (coughCingulaircough) before the iFail for crap-tastic coverage; Cingulair would rather use AT&T's old reputation and fudge statistics than provide the coverage adequate to handle the load of a device they required be made exclusive to them, thereby bringing in customers and then scrambling to keep people from dropping calls and having problems getting on the data network as well. I'm not saying the device itself does or doesn't suck, I myself have only toyed with it briefly and never had to use it on AT&T. I know 3 people with iphones and none are rabid defenders of it, and one is wanting something new after two years. Hopefully whichever carrier gets the new release has the network to handle not only old customers but a sudden influx of new ones. When AT&T released the original iPhone they managed to get the highest new subscription rate of any carrier, but still couldn't nab "largest", that achievement went to Verizon. Who, if memory serves, passed on the iPhone back in '07.
    I didn't fact-check myself so if someone has an issue with the above info - sorry. Just posting from memory.
    06-08-10 10:18 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD