I have been charging the Storm overnight. Today our electricity went haywire. Some stuff is working and power is out to other stuff - some of it on the same breaker. So we flip the main and reset the breakers one-by-one and now some of the power that was on before is off now and vica-versa. So we call the power company and they just left after telling me the main breaker is toast. That's probably a $2,000 fix. I blame the Storm. I'm calling Verizon tomorrow! I'm fettup!

....ok the TV is out and I've got nothing better to do... But the part about the breaker being shot is true. That sucks. I wish I could blame the Storm!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Sharkz; 01-07-09 at 11:22 PM.
    01-07-09 11:16 PM
    Sorry to hear about your troubles!

One thing, I used to be an electrician and thought I might offer some suggestions!

I have had to replace many main breakers. Most of the time all that has to be done is remove the panel cover, and determine what brand your panel is and what the size your main breaker is. Most likely it is something like a 100 amp or 200am breaker. Then you would go to the local home depot or what ever and ask them to give ya exactly what you have. (If you were to take a picture of the panel and the breakler close up I might be able to help you with more detail)
    then depending on your skill level you could either contact someone who knows more from here or go it alone.

If you choose to go it alone you would most likely see bolts on the main breaker on the bus side and slots on the feed side. Again a few pictures would make it easier to explain. You would want to make sure the breaker is off and if possible the power to the whole house then just remove the bolts and then pop out the breaker, and replace with the new one.

NOW with that said I want to warn you... There is enough energy in that box to seriously hurt you or possibly kill you so if what I have said is over your head please use common sense.

The moral of my story is that is not a 2000 dollar job. Unless there is more to it than your average main breaker.

The other side of this is if you have a real old breaker box that could cause more cost but I still feel that 2000 is way to much with out a total panel replacement!!!

Just thought you might like to hear that!

Good Luck and feel free to PM me or PIN me if you need any more info. If ya got pictures let me know then I can really help ya!
    01-07-09 11:37 PM
    I'm fettup too, fo sho. LOL
    01-08-09 12:21 AM
    I may do that - thanks! We have a neighbor who is an electrician looking at it in the morning and let me find out what he quotes us. Yes, it is old and we have been told before that it's not an ideal set up. I appreciate the danger warning and i'll pas that along to my wife before I give her your instructions (hey, I gotta work!). Seriously, I might yet to do it myself. In this economy, I might need to learn how to generate my own electricity. Thanks again.

Last edited by Sharkz; 01-08-09 at 12:33 AM.
    01-08-09 12:30 AM
    I have been charging the Storm overnight. Today our electricity went haywire. Some stuff is working and power is out to other stuff - some of it on the same breaker. So we flip the main and reset the breakers one-by-one and now some of the power that was on before is off now and vica-versa. So we call the power company and they just left after telling me the main breaker is toast. That's probably a $2,000 fix. I blame the Storm. I'm calling Verizon tomorrow! I'm fettup!

....ok the TV is out and I've got nothing better to do... But the part about the breaker being shot is true. That sucks. I wish I could blame the Storm!

You should ask for bonus minutes...it will blow the reps mind.
    01-08-09 12:32 AM
    You should ask for bonus minutes...it will blow the reps mind.
    LOL. I may just do that if the TV isn't working by tomorrow night. You gotta get your entertainment wherever you can find it.

01-08-09 12:35 AM
    I can top that! lol

Christmas night, we were watching TV and we heard some cracking, popping then BOOM! Out go the lights! I jump up in the dark, trip over the xmas gifts, open the door to the garage to see my Subaru sitting there is a cloud of smoke. After calling 911, having 5 fire engines and 10 firefighters rushing in with axes...turns out my fuse box blew up.
    Long story short....my Homeowners insurance covered all of the $2000 bill, except for my $500 deductible. (oh, and my Subaru was safely removed from the garage without damage....thank God!)
    Let me add...don't mess around with it yourself...electricity repair should be only handled by a certified Electrician! (IMO)
    01-08-09 12:35 AM
    I can top that! lol

Christmas night, we were watching TV and we heard some cracking, popping then BOOM! Out go the lights! I jump up in the dark, trip over the xmas gifts, open the door to the garage to see my Subaru sitting there is a cloud of smoke. After calling 911, having 5 fire engines and 10 firefighters rushing in with axes...turns out my fuse box blew up.
    Long story short....my Homeowners insurance covered all of the $2000 bill, except for my $500 deductible. (oh, and my Subaru was safely removed from the garage without damage....thank God!)
    Let me add...don't mess around with it yourself...electricity repair should be only handled by a certified Electrician! (IMO)
    And where was your Storm at the time? Close to the garage, I'm betting.

01-08-09 12:38 AM
    And where was your Storm at the time? Close to the garage, I'm betting.

lol....nope, my Storm is innocent.
    The fuse box was just old and got overheated...so they replaced the whole thing. The new one is soooooooo nice and shiny too...lol.
    01-08-09 12:47 AM
    I had a similar issue several years ago but it wasn't my cell phone that did it LOL It behaved exactly like you described. It was one of the "phase" lines coming into the house. Apparently there are 3 big lines that come in to the box and one of them had grounded out in the back yard underground. The power co-op came out and ran what I can only call a mega extension cord to the box until they could get back and fix it permanently underground later in the week. Didn't cost me a dime so hold out hope maybe it is their issue :-)
    01-08-09 01:52 PM
    It's obvious this was caused by a leaked OS...You're lucky no one was killed...
    01-08-09 02:09 PM
    Well, good news. It ended up being a $200 fix to replace the main breaker. The $2,000 price we had gotten previously was to replace the entire panel. So the power is back on and we'll see what the Storm tries to sabatouge (sp?) next!

01-08-09 03:18 PM
    Glad you got that fixed without too much of an expense...

But I'll still charge my storm off the generator outside to be safe....You Never Know!
    01-08-09 03:44 PM
    the single speck of dust under the screen caused enough heat (due to charging) to overload the circuit. Blame the storm and the nigh unclickable screen! Curses.
    01-08-09 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD