A guy next to me on a plane last week had a Curve, and he told me that the magnets in the leather cases we have will lock the phone when in the case.

My Storm doesn't do this, but apparently this feature can be turned on and off in settings/options?

Thought that was definitely a nice feature, and somewhat recall remembering seeing a "lock when in holster" or something like that, but cannot remember where that was?

One complaint I have with my Storm is how even when locked, pushing the screen, or any other button will light up the screen. So even when "locked" and in my "holster" or pocket, a wrong bump or squeeze will cause the screen to illuminate, draining battery, etc etc. Most annoying in my books.

Thanks!
    -Josh
    02-24-09 12:56 AM
    This is called a "sleeper" magnet. It puts the phone into a sleep not allowing the lights to turn on until it is removed from either the case or holster that has the magnet in it.

I know the Seidio holster has a sleeper and I think Vaja has a few cases with it.

Innocase Holster
    02-24-09 01:00 AM
    actually, the screen wont turn on if its touched by an object. when you click the screen, it turns on the "heat" sensors and if they detect heat (from your finger), it turns on the screen. you can try this by clicking the screen with a pen.
    02-24-09 01:06 AM
    So the magnets themselves are special?

I don't recall what case he had, only that it didn't flip shut.

Mine also has a magnet, but mine does flip shut.

Man you guys are quick here!
    02-24-09 01:07 AM
    The magnet is not special. You can cause this to happen with any magnet.

Although it may seem like it, there is no "heat" sensor: The touch screen senses capacitance - an electrical charge, if you like - in your body.
    02-24-09 01:44 AM
    I feel like a newb asking this. I've had 3 BB's and all have had the option to turn on or off 'locking upon holster'. On my storm I can't figure out how to turn this off for the life of me. On my pearl and curve I had this off. I have the oem plastic clip holster and hate it being locked when I remove it. I've searched the options menu up and down and can't find it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 02:03 AM
    I can't find it either, don't believe the storm has this feature. It would be nice to turn this off while at work. As a result my bb spends most of the day out of the holster.
    02-24-09 04:30 AM
    To turn on/off the lock upon holstering option on the Storm, go into options then click password and it is the second option from the bottom.
    Hope this helps.
    02-24-09 04:50 AM
    The magnet is not special. You can cause this to happen with any magnet.

Although it may seem like it, there is no "heat" sensor: The touch screen senses capacitance - an electrical charge, if you like - in your body.
    though this may be correct about any magnet being able to be used... i'm sure it isn't a very large one

remember kids: computers and magnets don't mix well. trying random magnets may do anything between nothing and wiping the device
    02-24-09 09:52 AM
    To turn on/off the lock upon holstering option on the Storm, go into options then click password and it is the second option from the bottom.
    Hope this helps.
    damn, thats awesome. no idea why its there, but thanks!
    02-25-09 11:49 AM
    Actually, unless you are using a rather large electromagnet, you probably won't damage your cell phone. The memory will not erase as it is stored via capacitive charges on a flash programmable rom chip. same is true for the device memory. there is not any magnetic media in a phone that I am aware of.
    02-25-09 12:46 PM
    another way to access the ringer and sleep settings is to go into your sms/mms area and hit the BB key and scroll down to Message Alerts and select that.
    02-25-09 02:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD