Replacement arrived today. Here are the stats.

New box (i.e. as if you bought in store)
    PRD 19502-002
    Made in Canada
    Manufactured 12/29/08

I am assuming that the PRD only reflects this is being sent in a retail box. Is that correct?

Anyway ... heading home in a few hours to see. Magic 8 ball for me if my phone will be perfect, flawed but usable, or not usable.
    01-07-09 02:15 PM
    Replacement arrived today. Here are the stats.

New box (i.e. as if you bought in store)
    PRD 19502-002
    Made in Canada
    Manufactured 12/29/08

I am assuming that the PRD only reflects this is being sent in a retail box. Is that correct?

Anyway ... heading home in a few hours to see. Magic 8 ball for me if my phone will be perfect, flawed but usable, or not usable.
    M8B sez: Consult me later.
    01-07-09 02:18 PM
    Anyone want to go out on a limb more than ChrisB?
    01-07-09 02:54 PM
    screen is goinna be tight at the bottom of the screen. mine was 12/28 built in canada and thats my new issue center bottom of screen toward the hard buttons tight almost feels like it doesnt click
    01-07-09 03:01 PM
    screen is goinna be tight at the bottom of the screen. mine was 12/28 built in canada and thats my new issue center bottom of screen toward the hard buttons tight almost feels like it doesnt click
    That had better not be the case ... as that is why I'm returning the old one.
    01-07-09 03:03 PM
    Anyone want to go out on a limb more than ChrisB?
    That is what my M8B that sits on my desk said.
    01-07-09 03:04 PM
    Should be getting my new one in the next couple days VZ store is getting a new shipment in so hopefully it's build in late December..

*crosses fingers*
    01-07-09 03:06 PM
    That is what my M8B that sits on my desk said.
    Lol. I hear you. Unfortunately, the experience is analogous to buying a Storm. You don't know what you're going to get.

But I would still be interested if anyone has thoughts on whether Canada is a bad sign ... if PRD 19502 is a bad sign ... and if the late December date is any sort of a signal.
    01-07-09 03:08 PM
    Sorry, I returned my m8b because the accelerometor isn't working the way it's supposed to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 03:09 PM
    you're gonna need to cross more than your fingers.....lol
    i think its going to be a while before they get all the hardware issues out.
    01-07-09 03:10 PM
    Mine is a 12/29 Canada one and I have the same tight screen on the bottom of my screen too. I'm having a replacement sent for a couple of stuck pixels though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 03:26 PM
    @Roger Lococco,

I just got my 1st replacement today after 3 weeks with original. I have the exact same lot as you:

PRD: 19502-002
    Dec. 29, 2008
    Made in Canada

This is my 2nd BB-strorm. My original storm was Made in Mexico 112708.

Comparing the two:

Touchscreen:
    Both have the same gap around the movable screen. Key pressing is tons better on the new one. The snap or pop feel is pretty even through landscape (left side, center, right side). You can definitely hear it snap better than the old one. Much better feel.

Dust issues:
    My old had zero dust issues. Too early to tell on the new one.

Firmware:
    New one came with 0.75. The old was 0.65 and I updated it to 0.75.

Box and packaging:
    Old phone was brand new from Best Buy store and obviously came complete with charger etc. To my surprise, my 2nd one came with everything, i.e., charger, media card, sim card, white box <---basically like my original one. I was expecting a new phone, but in a brown box. That was a pleasant surprise to see it all packaged up like right off the shelf.

Hang up:
    Many with old one. New one hung up once when deleting navigational maps. Keeping my fingers cross that it was just because of the deletion of app.

EDITED: BTW, your magic 8 ball says: "less than perfect, but better than the original"
    Last edited by bbguy_nocal; 01-07-09 at 05:16 PM.
    01-07-09 04:55 PM
    PRD 19502 is the only PRD # you will find on NEW in the box Storms. The 21009 is for non retail Storms such as FRUs, or like new devices. That's the only significance of the PRD number.
    01-08-09 12:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD