04-29-10 10:22 AM
33 12
tools
    So, whenever I restart my phone, the application free memory is at 30mb. As time goes on, it dwindles down to 0.0 and a list comes up that says I need to get rid of some Apps. I do not have that many and dont understand why it is doing this...anythign I can do to stop it?
    12-07-09 10:31 AM
    What OS are you running? What apps do you have installed?
    12-07-09 11:28 AM
    please do tell so we can help. cheers
    12-07-09 11:31 AM
    I am running 5.0. I have little amount of apps running. Like AIM, youmail, google maps, etc.. But most of the time they arent even running, but still installed.
    12-07-09 04:41 PM
    3rd party theme?????????????????
    12-07-09 04:56 PM
    List ALL of your apps, not etc. Do you have any themes installed?
    12-07-09 04:57 PM
    How long does it take for it to "dwindle" down to 0?
    12-07-09 05:54 PM
    lol I boot up at 22 mb and I only have QL, Google Maps, Shazam, (youtube/slacker from vzw) and a few website launchers... I never leave apps on and no theme.. thought appleberry was the reason.. but deleted it... and here I am at 22 mb after reboots

if you figure it out you let me know
    12-07-09 08:26 PM
    please do tell so we can help. cheers
    Here is what I got...can you help me

So I have a couple of questions...

1. When an OS is shrunken (.328) what kind of effect does it have on application memory? Does it significantly increase it, or does it free up memory elsewhere (either SD memory or Device Memory) making it pointless for me to shrink.

2. I seem to have a leak somewhere and I can not figure out where it is. When I boot up, my memory is around 35-40 MB. After about 10 minutes it drops to about 29 ish and just diminishes from there. A lot of the posts seem to say that Themes are the main culprit (I have no themes other then the one that came along with the phone)

Apps I have loaded:

Third Party
    1.BBWeather 180 KB
    2.Pixelated 22 KB
    3.Scoremobile 361 KB
    4.Urbanspoon 496 KB
    5.Whippoh 205 KB
    6.QuickPull 78 KB
    7.songid 1.2 MB

Add-On
    1.BB App World 741 KB
    2.BB App Center 74 KB
    3.BB Maps 1 MB
    4.BrickBreaker 567 KB
    5.Documents to Go 3 MB
    6.Facebook 1.1 MB
    7.MemoPad 25KB
    8.Tasks 50KB
    9.Word Mole 1.3 MB

Core: (OBVIOUSLY IMPORTANT)
    1.BB 5 Core Apps
    2.BB 5 System Software
    3.Browser
    4.Email Setup
    5.Phone

Help stop my memory from dropping so much so quickly.

Ideally, I would like to stabilize my memory a little better and have somewhere between at least 40-50 MB of free app memory.

If I kept everything the same (DL'ed programs and stuff like that) and shrunk the OS, would that increase my Application memory at all?

I hope that this makes enough sense to get some answers...your time is greatly appreciated!!!
    12-07-09 11:34 PM
    anything named BB is your prob .. lol ..

from app to maps..
    12-07-09 11:36 PM
    Here is what I got...can you help me

So I have a couple of questions...

1. When an OS is shrunken (.328) what kind of effect does it have on application memory? Does it significantly increase it, or does it free up memory elsewhere (either SD memory or Device Memory) making it pointless for me to shrink.

2. I seem to have a leak somewhere and I can not figure out where it is. When I boot up, my memory is around 35-40 MB. After about 10 minutes it drops to about 29 ish and just diminishes from there. A lot of the posts seem to say that Themes are the main culprit (I have no themes other then the one that came along with the phone)

Apps I have loaded:

Third Party
    1.BBWeather 180 KB
    2.Pixelated 22 KB
    3.Scoremobile 361 KB
    4.Urbanspoon 496 KB
    5.Whippoh 205 KB
    6.QuickPull 78 KB
    7.songid 1.2 MB

Add-On
    1.BB App World 741 KB
    2.BB App Center 74 KB
    3.BB Maps 1 MB
    4.BrickBreaker 567 KB
    5.Documents to Go 3 MB
    6.Facebook 1.1 MB
    7.MemoPad 25KB
    8.Tasks 50KB
    9.Word Mole 1.3 MB

Core: (OBVIOUSLY IMPORTANT)
    1.BB 5 Core Apps
    2.BB 5 System Software
    3.Browser
    4.Email Setup
    5.Phone

Help stop my memory from dropping so much so quickly.

Ideally, I would like to stabilize my memory a little better and have somewhere between at least 40-50 MB of free app memory.

If I kept everything the same (DL'ed programs and stuff like that) and shrunk the OS, would that increase my Application memory at all?

I hope that this makes enough sense to get some answers...your time is greatly appreciated!!!
    1. Regarding shrinking. If you're booting with that level of memory and that number of apps, you don't need to shrink. Shrinking the OS can save some application memory but not a huge amount and depending on what you're willing to shrink out, it may be very little. If you want to save space and don't tend to play the games much, I would delete Word Mole and/or BrickBreaker. In addition, BlackBerry Application Center is useless now with BlackBerry App World, so you can delete that if you like as well.

2. Regarding your leak. It's hard to say specifically what the problem is, but some applications are known to cause leaks. For example, I've found BlackBerry App World killed my memory. It would drain the memory even if I hadn't opened it since the last reboot. I deleted it and memory has been more stable ever since.

To find the leak, the best solution is to uninstall one application at a time (you can reinstall after a day if you'd like) until you notice the leak is gone. Based on my experience and the experience of others around here, start with BlackBerry App World. BerryWeather can also create a bit of a memory leak as well. Do not delete BlackBerry Maps as you need that to use other mapping applications like Google Maps, etc. I've also heard that QuickPull can create a memory leak, especially if you have it set on a schedule (plus, while QuickPull does work to reset your phone, it doesn't have the same effect as an actual battery pull so I personally don't care much for it). I don't know the other apps well enough to comment on them.

Once you've found the source of the leak, you need to decide whether or not you're willing to keep that application or not.

I hope this helps explain things a little bit and gives a bit of a direction as to what to try next!
    12-08-09 01:11 AM
    Do not delete BlackBerry Maps as you need that to use other mapping applications like Google Maps, etc.
    can anyone confirm this?

I have had BB maps deleted for months now and google maps works fine for me. Am I missing something?
    12-08-09 12:48 PM
    I deleted my BB Maps also thinking I would not need it since I use Google Maps and I have had no problems at all.

He may have been told that by someone and never did it to know for sure.

So unless we are missing something I think we are fine.
    12-09-09 07:53 AM
    You are fine. I have had BB Maps off my phone for months now and Google Maps works perfectly. I believe there was an issue when the Storm was first released that you needed BB Maps to work with Google Maps. That has been fixed for some time now.
    12-09-09 10:53 AM
    Sub. Since My memory has been leaking since I got my replacement Storm a few weeks ago. Very annoying.....
    12-09-09 08:40 PM
    I went thru the same crap and went to a droid. Would recommend doing the same. I have 3 times the apps I had on my Storm and haven't locked up or lost one iota of speed. The Droid SMOKES the Storm in webpage loading and everything else
    12-09-09 10:31 PM
    can anyone confirm this?

I have had BB maps deleted for months now and google maps works fine for me. Am I missing something?
    Unless things changed (which maybe they have with the new OS and new version of Google Maps), my statement was true. We had multiple people on here saying that if they deleted BB Maps, they couldn't get Google Maps to work with their GPS. Of course, as I stated though, things may have changed so perhaps its no longer true.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 11:00 PM
    Any hope that a future OS update may include utilization of Device or Media Card memory? Even my old crappy MotorolaQ had that option.
    12-14-09 06:05 PM
    Ok here's my problem. After updating to 5.0 I immediately booted up with only 24 mb. I am running with stock theme and the only third party apps installed are google maps, app world, opera mini beta2, and three games. After a while I would start booting up with only 22 mb then it went down to 18, then 16, then 14, and now it only boots up at 13 mb. The thing I'm wondering is how can an app, or theme, cause an immediate leak like this. how can it technically be a leak if the memory starts off low. Any ideas would help, thanks.
    12-15-09 04:05 AM
    Same problem with me. I uses to boot up to 30 but would go down to 20 and then would us quickpull and would go back to 30. Then would boot up to 24, then 22 and now boots up to 19. I do a quickpull once it reachs 15 and only goes back to 19. What's up. Why would I be losing boot up memory when no new apps have been installed?
    Help
    12-23-09 08:25 PM
    I have the same issue. Every time I booted my storm without any new app, the app memory got lower and lower. 25>22>21>17>15... And after booting up, the app memory gets down around 2~5 in 3 hours, then finally it reaches at 0 in 24 hours. Even worse, when it gets at 0, the message pops up that I have to delete some apps to get enough app memory. How can it happen without any new app installed? I have no third party theme and game. I only assume that BBM group may cause it but I'm not sure. I cannot give up the BBM groups which I got two. Anybody has the same issue or thought that BBM group may cause the huge memory leaks?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 08:55 PM
    Same problem. Keep on thinking it is the BBM group caused this. I know since upgraded to BBM5, my app memory only last a day. Crazy. Is this a typical storm issue? My wife has a javelin and never have that problem.
    12-27-09 09:06 AM
    I am getting the same thing! I used to boot at 23, but noticed the start up app memory is now down to 18 at first boot. Crazy because I have no themes and have added no new apps...just started doing this. Anybody have an answer??
    12-28-09 01:31 PM
    I'm having the same issue. And I really started noticing the memory leak once I upgraded BBM to 5.0.56. The OS 5.0.419 doesn't seem to like it . . .
    12-28-09 01:38 PM
    Just FYI - I deleted Google maps and rebooted and it jumped back up to 23. Will let it run today and reload Google maps tomorrow and watch it. Will see what happens.
    12-28-09 01:52 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD