I have two suggestions,

1) do what I did. Call VZW and complain. If enough people do this it will make a difference.

2) bring the dial pad up on your screen while talking. I haven't once accidentally dialed any buttons since doing this.
    11-23-08 01:00 AM
    I have two suggestions,

1) do what I did. Call VZW and complain. If enough people do this it will make a difference.
    What good will this do, Verizon didn't make the phone, RIM did.
    However, I do agree that the squeaky wheel somtimes gets the oil.
    11-23-08 01:08 AM
    It can do a LOT of good. I worked for Nokia for 12 years and believe me, the operator (especially Verizon) holds all the strings. They have the power to press RIM for an immediate software update. I called Verizon within hours of discovering this ridiculous issue. I suggest others do the same and it will make a difference.
    11-23-08 01:49 AM
    Yeah!! This Stinks !! My first few phone calls on the STORM kept getting muted too. (Might be My Fat Cheeks) I ended up using my bluetooth. But I hope they come out with a fix for this too. As I don't always have my ear piece with me.
    11-23-08 09:38 AM
    So then call and complain - if enough people do we'll have a software patch soon enough...
    11-23-08 10:40 AM
    I don't have fat cheeks and still have the same problem. I don't see it as a deal breaker for me, but with that said it seems to be a major flaw with the phone. Reading these posts makes me think that some people need to separate the word "phone" from the word "device." The Storm is a great "device," but a major problem with the "phone" is that your cheek mutes it or places it on speaker phone when you are talking.
    11-23-08 10:56 AM
    New OS will have a screen lock feature similar to the Palm treo. Beleive me or not - I read it somewhere but don't remember / can't find it. I'll keep looking.
    11-23-08 12:18 PM
    My hope was the program ''autolock'' would fix this, howeve it is controlled by the backlight settings which are global to the entire phone. The minimum amount of time is 10 sec before the backlight shuts off and 1 sec before autolock turns on. This is just not realistic for me personally however if you can live with your device backlight going off in 10 seconds in all applications you can grab the program at: http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...lackberry.html
    11-23-08 12:26 PM
    Any ladies having trouble pressing on the keys because there nails get in the way?
    I'm not! Considering I don't "click" the screen with my nails.... anyways, I don't know what button I keep hitting when I'm talking on the phone but it beeps three times in my ear and I can't hear the other person talking. It's quite annoying. And I really don't like bluetooth headsets.
    11-23-08 02:23 PM
    I think that is the best solution. Ever since reading that, I've done it and never had a problem hitting buttons. And no, I don't have fat cheeks lol.

During a call, hit the esc key. Choose "home". It isn't a perfect solution but at least you won't hit mute. The worst you will do is hit one of your top 8 buttons.
    11-25-08 12:10 PM
    I'm not having the problem.
    11-25-08 12:22 PM
    Hi there -

Yes, I have the same MUTE problem with my new BB Storm. My last three calls got muted by my cheek. This is a deal breaker for me if I cannot find a resolution real quick.

The suggestions, although appreciated i.e., hit ESC then choose HOME or keep the device away from your face, or bring up the keyboard, etc. etc. are all well and good but not a solution. Imagine handing your device over to someone who wants to borrow it and having to give a bunch of instructions on how to make a simple phone call and NOT mute it?

I am wondering if changing the sensativity buttons would help? TOOLS Screen/Keyboard scroll all the way down to TOUCHSCREEN and change the numbers from whatever to whatever?

A Bluetooth or headset is absolutely NOT the answer for me either.

Please help. Thanks
    Last edited by BostonRedSox; 11-25-08 at 02:44 PM.
    11-25-08 02:25 PM
    Hi there -

Yes, I have the same MUTE problem. My last three calls got muted by my cheek. This is a deal breaker for me if I cannot find a resolution real quick.

The suggestions, although appreciated i.e., hit ESC then choose HOME or keep the device away from your face, or bring up the keyboard, etc. etc. are all well and good but not a solution. Imagine handing your device over to someone who wants to borrow it and having to give a bunch of instructions on how to make a simple phone call and NOT mute it?

I am wondering if changing the sensativity buttons would help? TOOLS Screen/Keyboard scroll all the way down to TOUCHSCREEN and change the numbers from whatever to whatever?

A Bluetooth or headset is absolutely NOT the answer for me either.

Please help. Thanks
    If there is going to be a solution, you will most likely have to wait till the OS upgrade, I dont think there is any other way at this point.
    11-25-08 02:42 PM
    I keep running into this problem as well. I've muted at least a dozen calls so far.

Also, what do I do with the phone if I'm using bluetooth? On my 8830, I could holster it on a call, and it wouldn't end the call. On the Storm, if I holster it, it ends the call... if I put the phone in my pocket and sit down, it starts pressing buttons, so.....?!?!?!?!?
    11-25-08 03:14 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD