Like I said, love my 9550 but I have to say that the suretype or predictive typing is just horrible. If I type tect it gives "tact, try, trot, tract" and a whole slew of other stuff but never 'text' as an option. Also when I make a mistake with a very common word like "the" shouldn't the possibility of the word "the" be first on the list of replacements instead of "thf"?

Are there settings to help this? Other software that might help? It's really a huge pain. My old Moto razr predicted much better than this phone ever could.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Edit: Another example... I was trying to type message and hit the b key instead so it's bessage. No option came up at all for 'message'. Just a whole bunch of first letter B derivatives. I'd think the phone would know that 'message' was the intent but not even the option for it.
    Last edited by davenit; 06-01-10 at 02:38 PM.
    06-01-10 02:27 PM
    I really don't use SureType too much (I usually use landscape mode, unless I have to "one-hand" it).

The predictive typing does assume that you've at least hit the correct keys I believe. Yeah, it may go out of the box a little, but for the most part your choices are going to be for the letters you actually typed. Using the full keyboard, there is an auto-correct feature, which does try to fix typos as you're suggesting, but I'm not sure if that works with the SureType keyboard or not.
    06-01-10 03:51 PM
    yeah it sucks for when you type out the whole word and notice that you misspelled the first letter. happens all the time to me.
    06-01-10 04:13 PM
    Like I said, love my 9550 but I have to say that the suretype or predictive typing is just horrible. If I type tect it gives "tact, try, trot, tract" and a whole slew of other stuff but never 'text' as an option. Also when I make a mistake with a very common word like "the" shouldn't the possibility of the word "the" be first on the list of replacements instead of "thf"?

Are there settings to help this? Other software that might help? It's really a huge pain. My old Moto razr predicted much better than this phone ever could.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Edit: Another example... I was trying to type message and hit the b key instead so it's bessage. No option came up at all for 'message'. Just a whole bunch of first letter B derivatives. I'd think the phone would know that 'message' was the intent but not even the option for it.
    I never use that keyboard. I use the full keyboard, mostly in portrait (simply because the phone is easier (IMO) to hold that way, and "yes", I know the landscape keyboard is larger and more accurate to type on)
    06-01-10 04:21 PM
    It will take you a little while to get used to the suretype. I really like it, it is all I use.
    06-01-10 04:22 PM
    the problem is that BB autocorrect comes up with words similar in spelling to the original instead of using words that contain letters that are close to each other on the keyboard.

using your example "bessage" wants to correct to words that start with b and/or are similar in spelling. instead of realizing that "m" is close to "b" on the keyboard it assumes you meant to type "bessage" and simply misspelled it. in my opinion, autocorrect should be focused on correcting typing issues, not spelling issues.

my solution has simply been to turn autocorrect off altogether but if the problem remains unchecked, it may sway me from staying with BB. the autocorrect on my roommates htc incredible is lightyears ahead of that on the S2. i love having a touchscreen, and i always thought i needed a click to type (hence the 9550), but between the haptic feedback and a good autocorrect system i could type faster in 1 day on his incredible than i can after 7 months with my storm. BB needs to get this fixed ASAP.
    Last edited by SolidOrange; 06-01-10 at 04:32 PM.
    06-01-10 04:29 PM
    I agree. My only real complaint right now.
    06-01-10 04:45 PM
    On top of it all, there is a bug with word completion re enabling itself after using the phone app in portrait mode when you have it set to be on auto complete.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-10 06:48 PM
    It will take you a little while to get used to the suretype. I really like it, it is all I use.
    I agree, it is all I use and I love it. If you are new to it, you must give it time to "learn your words." For the first 2 weeks it will drive you crazy, but just back space and correct the word to what you want. After a couple weeks you will be typing very fast, with few errors. When my Pearl fried and they gave me a new one, I had to start all over again, as I did when I got my S2; I forgot how terrible it was, but hang in there are give it time.
    06-03-10 12:14 PM

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Every so often I come across this very problem. Some mistake I have made previously is forever recorded in my list of options. I have also seen where word options that should be in the list are not in the list. Finally I have seen where I would like the first few options to be valid words vs. nonsense gibberish (unless anyone can tell me what qeite and qeitr mean).

One example: Type out the word "write" very slowly. Sometimes the first letter option is w sometimes it's q. If you get 'q' keep going. With the full word typed out I have a list of:

qeite
    qeitr
    write
    writes

I guess that's the design. If "write" wasn't automatically filled in before the option list popped up at least have "write" and "writes" as the top options.
    06-03-10 03:55 PM
    gonna test out full keyboard for a few days see how it is the sure type messes me up too much i feel i cant type quick .. coming from the iphone the autocorrect and typing on there was a lot easier and i still cant type fast and ive had my s2 since it came out
    06-03-10 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD