Hello everyone. Iam planning on getting a Blackberry storm next week, but one of the main reasons i want it is because i need to check my corporate email on it. Does any one know if Lotus Notes 8 basic will work on the blackberry storm? if so, what steps are needed to set up the email? I would appreciate any help as it will help me decide to get the storm or not.
    05-13-09 05:11 AM
    Howzit
    Yes, works fine.
    I'm using Notes 8.5 at the moment.

Theres two ways to do it. The easiest is to setup your device email address via BIS. Then in notes, create a mail rule to forward all email to the device address. Make sure you replicate the changes to your Domino Server and off you go.

Been using it this way for some time now, never had a issue.

As for calendar and contacts, thats easy as well. Just make sure u replicate to a local copy of the DB in notes and not the server.
    05-13-09 05:16 AM
    I had used my Storm for my corporate email for a period of time, and had no problems receiving and sending emails. It will require you to provision your blackberry plan for corporate use (which with most vendors costs more).

However, be aware if your company has an IT policy blocking web sites, etc. that can severely limit the features of the blackberry. For example, our company blocks social networking sites, so facebook, myspace etc were non-functional. I became so frustrated with our corp IT policies, I took the corporate email process off my personal storm and now carry two blackberries.

In short, it works but watch for IT policies.
    05-13-09 05:18 AM
    Howzit
    Yes, works fine.
    I'm using Notes 8.5 at the moment.

Theres two ways to do it. The easiest is to setup your device email address via BIS. Then in notes, create a mail rule to forward all email to the device address. Make sure you replicate the changes to your Domino Server and off you go.

Been using it this way for some time now, never had a issue.

As for calendar and contacts, thats easy as well. Just make sure u replicate to a local copy of the DB in notes and not the server.
    What is BIS? ...iam sorry but iam a newbie to blackberries all your help is much much appreciated!
    05-13-09 05:20 AM
    I had used my Storm for my corporate email for a period of time, and had no problems receiving and sending emails. It will require you to provision your blackberry plan for corporate use (which with most vendors costs more).

However, be aware if your company has an IT policy blocking web sites, etc. that can severely limit the features of the blackberry. For example, our company blocks social networking sites, so facebook, myspace etc were non-functional. I became so frustrated with our corp IT policies, I took the corporate email process off my personal storm and now carry two blackberries.

In short, it works but watch for IT policies.
    oh waattttt...yes, my company has an IT policy that restricts and limits website such as myspace facebook twitter etc.... so that means that if my compnay has this restriction, my phone will have that restriction as well? how is that?
    05-13-09 05:21 AM
    BIS = Blackberry Internet Service,
    BES= Blackberry Enterprise Service

BIS is the general public service that lets the blackberry to forward emails to your device. Either it 'pops' from your email account to push to the device or the email account forwards to BIS which pushes to the device.
    With BIS, nothings restricted, so make sure your data plan is good (unlimited is best).

BES is setup by corporates and it controls the usage and features of the Blackberry.

Hope this helped.
    05-13-09 05:27 AM
    BIS = Blackberry Internet Service,
    BES= Blackberry Enterprise Service

BIS is the general public service that lets the blackberry to forward emails to your device. Either it 'pops' from your email account to push to the device or the email account forwards to BIS which pushes to the device.
    With BIS, nothings restricted, so make sure your data plan is good (unlimited is best).

BES is setup by corporates and it controls the usage and features of the Blackberry.

Hope this helped.
    thank you!....this terminology helped alot!
    05-13-09 05:46 AM
    also, u may want to check with your domino/notes admin if they allow forwarding emails out from the network. Just in case theres a policy for that.
    never hurts to check and cover all bases.
    05-13-09 05:59 AM
    Yes, Domino has supported BB for years.

Does your company have a BB server internally that you are going to be using? If so your admin will just need to set you up with an account on it and you'll be up and running.

If you aren't hooking into a corporate BES just set a mail rule to forward a copy of all mail to your BB. Not nearly as good as having a BES but better than nothing.

FYI for Lotus users who also run other Lotus products, RIM has BB apps for Lotus Sametime and Connections too that are pretty cool.
    05-16-09 02:24 AM
    The mail forwarding is a good idea except for those who have sneaky IT support and have a BES available.
    We want to be able to get our work email from Lotus Notes and NOT use the BES. I tried to bypass it and forward the mail to my personal BB and never got anywhere.
    I talked to the BES Admin and he advised that it was company security policy to not allow it.
    So much for that idea...
    05-16-09 04:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD