Just got the storm yesterday and it's my first BB so here are a bunch of stupid questions:

- Do you set your emails to forward to your BB when you leave the house/office? Is this a simple setting that wouldn't take more than 2 seconds to do each time? Or do you just get tons of emails to your BB too?

- Gmail has an excellent Filter system. From what I've seen BIS doesn't. How do I filter out the 25 daily emails from my university? They aren't sent from one single address. On gmail I filter out all emails containing "[JMU Information Email]"

- I haven't tried connecting my BB via USB yet, is the software important? I use Ubuntu 8.04. So far I've only transfered movies/music via MemoryCard which isn't a problem at all

- How do you correctly time the words "I'll", "She's", etc.? A lot of words auto correct with the software, but others don't. It's a royal pain to click the symbols button, click the apostrophe, then finish the word
    02-24-09 07:40 PM
    Question 1: Suggest installing the Desktop Redirector, and only turning it on when leaving the house.

Question 2: Can't set filters that I know of, why not use the Gmail app, and use the Gmail filters you like?

Question 3: DM on PC will allow you to use the apploader, if you want to upgrade OS or add themes, apps, etc that aren't available OTA. Also lets you synchronize your data, and backup your device data.

Question 4: The device will "learn" your preferred words. if you use these words a lot, they will start popping up in the autocomplete faster. for "I'll", try typing I and see what pops up. Same for "She's", type she and see.

Hope that helps. Clear as mud?
    02-24-09 07:46 PM
    I'll take a look at the Desktop Redirector, although I haven't really had a problem getting the messages in two places (except I wish they were marked as "read" in both places)

I posted a thread earlier weighing the pros/cons of the Gmail App and the BB mail. If the JMU emails are my only problem I'll stick with the BB mail for now and see how that goes.

What exactly is DM on PC? I'm assuming it's Linux/Debian compatible?

Thanks for the tips! Soon I'll be a master BB user!!!!!!!
    02-24-09 07:58 PM
    Just got the storm yesterday and it's my first BB so here are a bunch of stupid questions:

- Do you set your emails to forward to your BB when you leave the house/office? Is this a simple setting that wouldn't take more than 2 seconds to do each time? Or do you just get tons of emails to your BB too?

I just leave it on all time time. I agree with the other posters though about the desktop redirector

- Gmail has an excellent Filter system. From what I've seen BIS doesn't. How do I filter out the 25 daily emails from my university? They aren't sent from one single address. On gmail I filter out all emails containing "[JMU Information Email]"

I don't use the gmail app but used the BIS website to setup my work and gmail accounts (https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw&locale=en). I'm pretty sure that you only get the emails that make it to your inbox (at least I don't get any spam on my BB). The BIS also has a decent filtering system as well.

- I haven't tried connecting my BB via USB yet, is the software important? I use Ubuntu 8.04. So far I've only transfered movies/music via MemoryCard which isn't a problem at all

I think it's pretty important especially if you want to sync calendars, contacts, etc. Also, backing your BB up periodically will save you a lot of headache later. Lastly, if you want to update your OS to a leaked version it's easier to do it via the BB software (desktop manager)

- How do you correctly time the words "I'll", "She's", etc.? A lot of words auto correct with the software, but others don't. It's a royal pain to click the symbols button, click the apostrophe, then finish the word

The reason words like "I'll" will show up as Ill is because to my knowledge there's no grammar support for autocorrect. On a related note, you can add custom words to the dictionary.
    Good luck!
    02-24-09 09:28 PM
    Sorry to **** into this post but I cant post on my own yet.... I cant download bb desktop software I keep getting a error code when i try from the bb site. I am recieving a new storm today and need to transfer some paid for apps from old phone. Can anyone please help me figure out the problem or atleast tell me what im doing wrong. I have tried to download BB desktop software english version 4.7 with media i get all the way through and when it goes to unzip it gives an error right at the end something about source unavailable verify. Thankyou so much
    02-25-09 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD