After a great vacation in Italy, I somehow managed to lose my Storm on my last day there. It disappeared between the hotel and Rome's Airport. I noticed it right after I got to the airport. The agent at the Air France desk called my hotel, who checked the room and checked with the driver they had arranged, but no dice. Luckily I had the Verizon Global Wallet Guide in my bag which gave me the number to call in Italy to report the phone as lost (or stolen) and they shut it down.

When I bought the Storm, for the first time, I opted to take the Insurance coverage. So when I got home, I called Asurion. They took the report over the phone, I paid the $50 deductible and they delivered a factory sealed, brand new Storm to my office by 11:00 am the next morning. I am very happy with their service!

Fortunately, I had made a back-up of my phone before I left. The restore went fine, except none of the information I had on my data card was restored. (There is an option when you make a backup to also backup the data card, which I always select, but it did not restore the data on my old card to the card in my new phone). I did lose the pics I had taken with the Storm while on vacation, but I used my Canon most of the time anyway.

So.....good marks to Verizon (for good contact info) and Asurion (fast service, no hassles). The new phone (made in Hungary instead of Canada, like my first) seems to work fine. I was very nervous about a new phone since I had my old one since the release date and it ran great. The new one seems fine......And I have solved the only issue I had with the old one: dust under the screen. There is no dust under the new screen. Yet.

Rich
    05-16-09 07:19 PM
    Glad to here your story was a sucsessful one.

I had mine stolen today and I went online and filled out my claim. Paid the $50 and now I will wait until Tuesday for mine to arrive. I hope it goes as smooth as yours.
    05-17-09 12:01 AM
    good to know about this...
    I have not taken any insurance yet, I will call verizon now to see if i could buy the insurance as of now...
    05-17-09 12:08 AM
    Guys Asurion is the S**t !! You can fill your claim in online in 5 minutes.New phone in your mailbox 2 days later.Ive been using them for years.My storm screen cracked a few weeks ago.Had a new phone 2-3 days later. $50
    05-17-09 12:19 AM
    good to know about this...
    I have not taken any insurance yet, I will call verizon now to see if i could buy the insurance as of now...
    Not sure if you can get it since you have already have your phone. I know for a fact that if you have insurance and drop it they won't let you get it back. Happend to me when I had my curve. Had insrurance for 6 months, and I was always careful with my phone and never dropped it, so I was dumb called and removed it. Not even two weeks later had a hard drop, but did no damage. At that time I realized I was dumb for getting rid of it, tried to get it back and they said that I couldnt. I will always have insurance on my phone I mean really what is $5 a month.

Glad to hear that Asurion came threw for you.
    05-17-09 12:35 AM
    You must pick up the insurance 15 days after buying the phone. I am impressed you got a new phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 12:43 AM
    You must pick up the insurance 15 days after buying the phone. I am impressed you got a new phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I thought it was within the 15 days?
    05-17-09 12:57 AM
    I thought it was within the 15 days?
    Yea sorry, that's what it is within 15 days.
    05-17-09 01:15 AM
    I've filed number of claims with Asurion and if your claim is approved before a certain time (I think it was 4 PM), you should have a DHL package by next morning. Since DHL dropped their domestic (US) service, I'm not quite sure who they use now but I'd assume it's still next day. I'm guessing if you file on the weekend, your phone gets shipped out on Monday and you should have your phone by Tuesday morning.
    05-17-09 03:44 AM
    I put the claim in with Asurion about 9 or 10 pm the night I got back. UPS delivered the phone at 11 am the next morning. Very quick service. And it was a new, factory sealed phone. Very happy guy here.
    05-17-09 05:24 AM
    I put the claim in with Asurion about 9 or 10 pm the night I got back. UPS delivered the phone at 11 am the next morning. Very quick service. And it was a new, factory sealed phone. Very happy guy here.
    Same here. Last week my girlfriend's Storm fell in the sink. She made the claim with Asurion. She had one the next day via UPS and it was brand new in a factory sealed box, with all the accessories, (that they didn't want back). I was happy it was not refurbished Storm, though I will say VZW sent me a refurbished for screen click issue and it's fine. Just took them three tries to get me a good one..
    05-17-09 05:39 AM
    I got my phone on Tuesday just like they promised. Well worth the $50 plus the monthly fee.
    05-21-09 11:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD