Hey all,

When I was putting my Storm into the holster, I felt a little resistance. I took a closer look and the Escape/End call Key is very loose. In fact, it is barely hanging on...the substance holding the key to the phone is barely keeping the piece on.

I don't really want a replacement (aka refurbished) phone since this is the only issue. Are there any quick fixes (do it yourself) to this problem? Anybody else have this issue? Will Verizon techs be able to fix this on-site?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
    01-30-09 12:23 PM
    Has anyone had this problem?

Well, I think I am going to head to the VZW store during my lunch break and see what they can do for me on-site...
    01-30-09 01:18 PM
    nope.. only thing I can see is that my keys are not uniform across the send key is a little lower than the others
    01-30-09 01:28 PM
    My escape and bb keys are a little loose. Keep us informed with what they do

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 01:41 PM
    nope.. only thing I can see is that my keys are not uniform across the send key is a little lower than the others
    Hummm I guess i am not the only one with that then. I thought it may be a way to identify the send key when your not looking. Both end keys, green and red are slightly lower on my storm....
    01-30-09 01:58 PM

Will do!

Yes, my 2 end keys are also slightly lower...which makes the issue with the Escape/End call key even more surprising!
    01-30-09 02:14 PM
    Aren't all 4 of those keys one solid piece?
    01-30-09 02:23 PM
    No, but they are attached to the inside via a single membrane with the actual buttons and lights inside.
    01-30-09 02:48 PM
    Nope. You'll notice that there are 3 total "keys". The send (green) and end (red) keys on the end are individual keys. The BB and the return keys are actually 1 key.
    01-30-09 02:49 PM
    It is fairly common to have the holster cause damage to the buttons.

I lost my END button completely a couple of weeks ago. This was particularily disappointing, because my origianl Storm was near perfect. But without an end key....

If they are loose they are more likely to become VERY loose (LOL).

Take it into a store and get a replacement and don't let them steer you towards an insurance claim. It is a DEFECT that the buttons sit higher than the screen and can get caught on things.

I now put the phone into the holster upside down.
    01-30-09 02:50 PM
    Like Nightfishing said: Put it in the holster upside down.

When I got my holster I noticed a lot of drag on the keys so I quickly started putting the storm in upside down. It has the added benefits of allowing me to bring it to the "ready position" quickly, and easy access to the "hang up" button.
    01-30-09 03:06 PM
    fairly common? Well lets see here, if common is greater than 50% than fairly common would be about 50%. So you're saying 1 of 2 people who use a holster has ripped buttons loose from their phone? I doubt it.
    01-30-09 03:52 PM
    01-30-09 04:01 PM
    Well,

The VZW store rep ended up calling in and getting me a replacement phone. It'll be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm slightly disappointed though because this phone was just about perfect and I had already grown attached to it...

I'm hoping I get a new phone and not a refurbished one. He and the manager both think I should be getting a new phone based on their experience thus far with customers. The rep said I could come into the store once I get the phone and he'll check the serial # to see if it's new or a refurb. Crossing my fingers...

Anyways, thanks everyone for your advice! I will now put the phone in upside down when using the holster. It makes a lot of sense and more convenient when picking up phone calls too.
    01-30-09 04:18 PM
    Well I hope its a new phone. My phone is running to good to change it for sure a little problem. I don't think the button will ever come off

01-30-09 04:35 PM
    my phone was one week old green button came me off putting it into BB case
    so i started putting it in the wrong way...called to the store today no probs replace it with a new phone. When i do back up first the only prob just got all my settings right and going to have to start again
    01-30-09 05:10 PM
    Well I hope its a new phone. My phone is running to good to change it for sure a little problem. I don't think the button will ever come off

Yeah, so do I! I feel the same way...I like my current phone so much I'm still tempted to just pull off the button (which is not going to be difficult) and super glue it back on... Decisions, decisions...
    01-30-09 06:00 PM

Just got my replacement phone. I took it to the VZW store and they confirmed that it was a new phone! They transferred whatever they could and I have been playing with it for the past hour.

Initial thoughts: The phone seems more responsive, especially when using the landscape keyboard, and the screen looks crisper. Might be my imagination, but yeah...

However, the keys on the phone don't appear different. Doesn't matter too much, since I'll be putting my phone in the holster upside-down from now on. The only downside is that I have to figure out my optimal settings again and restore all of my data using the Blackberry Desktop Manager.

End result is that I'm happy...for now...(crossing fingers)
    02-04-09 05:02 PM
    I am really wondering what case you all are using that is causing the buttons to tear off and anyone have this issue with a Fortte Slim Leather Case?

I been using the OEM leather case that VZW sells that leaves the top out in the open. I dont see how the button could get messed up...
    02-15-09 04:04 AM
    i just noticed today all my keys are loose.
    02-15-09 04:53 AM
    I am really wondering what case you all are using that is causing the buttons to tear off and anyone have this issue with a Fortte Slim Leather Case?

I been using the OEM leather case that VZW sells that leaves the top out in the open. I dont see how the button could get messed up...
    I've had the phone for about a month now without any hardware problems but I've been using the OEM leather holster from VZW for about a week and I just noticed that my END KEY seems very very loose.

My phone works great and I would also hate to get a replacement phone. I don't know if I should go to Verizon with this or just stick it out and hope the button doesn't fall off.
    02-24-09 10:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD