I used google maps to navigate home tonight

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    They are fine but they don't talk to you, and they don't auto-recalculate.....
    02-28-09 11:32 PM
    fyi .. Verizon is offering vzNav free for a month. You do have to cancel it after 30 days if you don't want it, but it's a free way to try it out.
    03-01-09 12:47 AM
    Garmin Mobile for $80--one time or VZN for $10/month equals $120/year for how many years...?
    I totally agree but my fiance's work has some sort of deal with VZ so we get VZNav for free (lucky I know) so therefore i have never needed to try anything else. I have heard great things about Garmin and completely agree that in the long term, it is a better investment. Just commenting on what I know.
    03-01-09 06:26 AM
    another quick note, I just found out that VZNav on the storm will route the audible directions to a BT headset, which is an awesome feature when others are in the car and you don't want to blast directions in the middle of a conversation, it did scare the bloody sh*t out of me though since i wasn't expecting it.
    03-01-09 06:28 AM
    If I understand it correctly, the Garmin's information is not up-to-date until the next manual download. So it is not good if you live in a city with road construction and new buildings got built all the time. Also, VZ Nav can provide information on the new movies and restaurants around your GPS location, it will be hard for Garmin to beat that if the information is not up-to-date. There is no way Garmin can tell you the new movies that are showing....not until your next manual download.

Please correct me if I am wrong, it does not seem that Garmin is using assisted GPS because it requires the use of the cell towers which are owned by the carrier. Assisted GPS is always better and more accurate than regular GPS.

And frankly, $10 a month is really not much. You spend that on a couple Starbuck coffee. Nowadays you cannot even buy a decent sit-down lunch with just $10.
    Last edited by substring; 03-01-09 at 09:46 AM.
    03-01-09 09:42 AM
    If I understand it correctly, the Garmin's information is not up-to-date until the next manual download. So it is not good if you live in a city with road construction and new buildings got built all the time. Also, VZ Nav can provide information on the new movies and restaurants around your GPS location, it will be hard for Garmin to beat that if the information is not up-to-date. There is no way Garmin can tell you the new movies that are showing....not until your next manual download.

Please correct me if I am wrong, it does not seem that Garmin is using assisted GPS because it requires the use of the cell towers which are owned by the carrier. Assisted GPS is always better and more accurate than regular GPS.

And frankly, $10 a month is really not much. You spend that on a couple Starbuck coffee. Nowadays you cannot even buy a decent sit-down lunch with just $10.
    You are wrong on most everything you said. Garmin downloads current information each time you ask for information just like VZNav. Garmin Mobile uses exactly the same GPS information that VZNav uses. Even if VZNav used aGPS and Garmin didn't, aGPS is not more accurate nor is it better than regular GPS. You may be confusing aGPS with a feature called WAAS, which stands for wide area augmentation system, and does improve GPS accuracy, but neither VZNav nor Garmin Mobile use that. $10 a month is not much, but if you do not intend to replace your Storm soon, $80 as a one-time fee is a better deal. Each package has its supporters, and you are certainly entitled to believe VZNav works better for you, but do not spread incorrect information.
    03-02-09 04:49 PM

You may want to peruse the FAQs...
    Search Support
    03-02-09 05:02 PM
    I've been with Verizon for a few years. My previous phone had the VZNavigator and worked wonderful around town. The biggest problem I had was using it while on a 4 hour trip. The directions took me out of Verizon's coverage area meaning I lost the navigator since it needed Verizon's towers. If it wasn't for the map I always carry for "emergencies" I would probably still be stuck in the backwoods!

Does anyone know if VZNavigator uses the built-in GPS functions of the Storm along side the towers?

Now that I'm a BB Storm owner I've decided to try out other options. I'm using TeleNav since they give a free 30-day trial. The cost is the same at $9.99 a month. So far, it works great.

Garmin is next on my to-try list.
    03-02-09 05:16 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD