It sure was the brightest idea to use a brushed aluminum back that, when naked, scratches off.

I've discovered this to a nice racket set up between RIM and Verizon/cover makers.
    06-26-10 04:30 PM
    It sure was the brightest idea to use a brushed aluminum back that, when naked, scratches off.

I've discovered this to a nice racket set up between RIM and Verizon/cover makers.
    At least it isn't that stupid shiny metal back of the Apple touch that scratches if you wipe it with a DRY CLOTH!!
    06-26-10 05:55 PM
    I've found the aluminum door to be VERY durable. Are you using a sand blaster on it? LOL! You could always just sand it down to bare aluminum I suppose. Then it won't match the phone, but you won't have to worry about scratching the paint. If you do it right and polish it with a Scotch Brite or something it might look pretty sweet actually.

Or you could just spend the $20 and get a new one every now and then.
    06-26-10 06:04 PM
    At least it isn't that stupid shiny metal back of the Apple touch that scratches if you wipe it with a DRY CLOTH!!
    My iPods are all scratched up on the backs and I use felt padded cases! The backs aren't easy to replace either, as far as I know.
    06-26-10 06:06 PM
    I've found the aluminum door to be VERY durable. Are you using a sand blaster on it? LOL! You could always just sand it down to bare aluminum I suppose. Then it won't match the phone, but you won't have to worry about scratching the paint. If you do it right and polish it with a Scotch Brite or something it might look pretty sweet actually.

Or you could just spend the $20 and get a new one every now and then.
    My cover is scratching off a little, but I don't stare at the back of the phone so I don't care.
    06-26-10 06:20 PM
    My iPods are all scratched up on the backs and I use felt padded cases! The backs aren't easy to replace either, as far as I know.
    Yep, I keep mine alternately in a leather folio (with a piece of microfiber cloth between it and the interior, because the touch kept slipping out the bottom of the case) and a silicone case. There were scratches on the back within two days, no matter that I was super-gentle with it. I'm not a real fan of Apple's designs, in case someone here can't tell.
    06-26-10 06:23 PM
    My cover is scratching off a little, but I don't stare at the back of the phone so I don't care.
    I would probably just use it until it looks like total isht and then replace it just before selling the phone...lol!

Yep, I keep mine alternately in a leather folio (with a piece of microfiber cloth between it and the interior, because the touch kept slipping out the bottom of the case) and a silicone case. There were scratches on the back within two days, no matter that I was super-gentle with it. I'm not a real fan of Apple's designs, in case someone here can't tell.
    LOL, well I have mixed feelings about Apple for sure. I do, however, like the iPods a lot overall, mainly because we have the Classics with huge storage. I'm just waiting for Steve (blow)Jobs to realize that there are some of us out here who want an iPod for storage more than looks or small size. This last refresh of the Classics to 120 GB was a real downer for us because honestly the 160 is still too small. Need a 500 GB model like yesterday!
    06-26-10 06:45 PM
    Ya gotta wonder what people put their phones thru on a daily basis . I've had my S2 since day 1, and have yet to get any scratches on the back... or anywhere else for that matter. And this is with no case at all, only a screen protector, and it always goes into my pocket. With change, keys, and whatever else happens to be in the same pocket.
    06-26-10 06:53 PM
    Yet it is the design of Apple devices that makes people swoon over their products. It still beats me that after years of releasing shiny devices from a desktop PC (eMacs, iMacs, etc) or the Macbooks to the mobile devices (the iPods, etc) all sleek and sexy-looking but HIGHLY BRITTLE, the media still go ga-ga and swoon over every Apple product.

In fact, these days Apple has no design flaw no mater what they make. iPhone 4 sold 1.5 million on day one. No one have sold that many gadgets in a day. Here, is a device that have serious flaws and cannot be used effectively with a case of some sort.

Dave, I know you do not wish to be Steve Jobs but I sure want smoke what he is smoking to have these power over his minions.
    06-26-10 07:15 PM
    I would probably just use it until it looks like total isht and then replace it just before selling the phone...lol!

LOL, well I have mixed feelings about Apple for sure. I do, however, like the iPods a lot overall, mainly because we have the Classics with huge storage. I'm just waiting for Steve (blow)Jobs to realize that there are some of us out here who want an iPod for storage more than looks or small size. This last refresh of the Classics to 120 GB was a real downer for us because honestly the 160 is still too small. Need a 500 GB model like yesterday!
    I've got one of the big 4th gen ipods too (my wife and I actually have 10 iPods between us--h e l l , I have 3 shuffles myself) and it's got more HDD space then I'd ever need. My Touch is the 16GB version and holds all my fav music, plus a bunch of movies.
    06-27-10 12:45 AM
    Yet it is the design of Apple devices that makes people swoon over their products. It still beats me that after years of releasing shiny devices from a desktop PC (eMacs, iMacs, etc) or the Macbooks to the mobile devices (the iPods, etc) all sleek and sexy-looking but HIGHLY BRITTLE, the media still go ga-ga and swoon over every Apple product.

In fact, these days Apple has no design flaw no mater what they make. iPhone 4 sold 1.5 million on day one. No one have sold that many gadgets in a day. Here, is a device that have serious flaws and cannot be used effectively with a case of some sort.

Dave, I know you do not wish to be Steve Jobs but I sure want smoke what he is smoking to have these power over his minions.

Not only power over his minions, but over the Apple faithful that would buy dog crap if it had the Apple logo pressed into it's stinking mound.
    06-27-10 12:48 AM
    I have ipod touch with like a rubber cover or something and it has a little circle (like for a camera? I dont know, but I use that spot for a tiny mirror) and when I take it off the whole thing is so nice but the circle is like scratched bad... my phone I just gave to my sister before i get my bb I had for 4 years and there is not even one scratch... I am kind of person who never drops the phone or something even if I'm drinking lol
    06-27-10 12:53 AM
    I've got one of the big 4th gen ipods too (my wife and I actually have 10 iPods between us--h e l l , I have 3 shuffles myself) and it's got more HDD space then I'd ever need. My Touch is the 16GB version and holds all my fav music, plus a bunch of movies.
    Oh wow, you've got us beat...lol! We have two of the 160 Gig Classics, one of the 80 Gig Classics, and a really old 30 Gig (I think) Classic. Used to have a Shuffle too, but gave it to my friends daughter. Anyway, we have less than half our music collection digitized so far and it doesn't fit on a 160 Gig. The 80 Gig is my personal iPod with only the stuff I want, so it's only filled to about 50 Gigs so far. I'm hoping that Apple will come out with a 128 Gig Touch so I can move to that to replace the 80 Gig Classic. A 64 would be OK for now, but I would rather just go to 128 if I can.

Don't ask how many hard drives we have to keep backups and more backups of all our music and stuff! LOL!
    06-27-10 01:41 AM
    Oh wow, you've got us beat...lol! We have two of the 160 Gig Classics, one of the 80 Gig Classics, and a really old 30 Gig (I think) Classic. Used to have a Shuffle too, but gave it to my friends daughter. Anyway, we have less than half our music collection digitized so far and it doesn't fit on a 160 Gig. The 80 Gig is my personal iPod with only the stuff I want, so it's only filled to about 50 Gigs so far. I'm hoping that Apple will come out with a 128 Gig Touch so I can move to that to replace the 80 Gig Classic. A 64 would be OK for now, but I would rather just go to 128 if I can.

Don't ask how many hard drives we have to keep backups and more backups of all our music and stuff! LOL!
    Oh, I've got way more music than what I ripped for use on my iPods. I ripped just roughly 1,600 songs. I didn't bother with songs that I'm not crazy about. The iPod I use the most for music now is one of the Shuffles. More often than not, I listen to Pandora (on S2) in lieu of my own music. I'll use the Touch more for web browsing and apps, than for my music.

I guess HDD size is like being thin. You can never be too thin or rich...or have too much HDD space.
    06-27-10 02:00 AM
    Oh, I've got way more music than what I ripped for use on my iPods. I ripped just roughly 1,600 songs. I didn't bother with songs that I'm not crazy about. The iPod I use the most for music now is one of the Shuffles. More often than not, I listen to Pandora (on S2) in lieu of my own music. I'll use the Touch more for web browsing and apps, than for my music.

I guess HDD size is like being thin. You can never be too thin or rich...or have too much HDD space.
    We are trying to digitize ALL our music so we can get rid of all the records and CD's in the house. Well, most anyway. We'll keep some of the more special things. We have more CD's than a lot of music stores I've been to. And we not only have multiple hard drives for back ups inside the house, but we also keep two of them in a safe deposit box. It's completely crazy, but about a month ago it at least paid off a little bit when the main drive in the desktop computer took a dump after only a year. And last year one of the external drives died too.
    06-27-10 02:22 AM
    We are trying to digitize ALL our music so we can get rid of all the records and CD's in the house. Well, most anyway. We'll keep some of the more special things. We have more CD's than a lot of music stores I've been to. And we not only have multiple hard drives for back ups inside the house, but we also keep two of them in a safe deposit box. It's completely crazy, but about a month ago it at least paid off a little bit when the main drive in the desktop computer took a dump after only a year. And last year one of the external drives died too.
    I could never get rid of all my albums! Perish the thought. Even though I have put my Linn Sondek LP12 into a closet, I'm not going to dump my record collection, nor do I want to sell that turntable. They are collector's items now.
    06-27-10 12:41 PM

Gave my iPods to my kids, the shuffles (3) to friends. 500 songs on my Storm2 that I listen to with my bluetooth headset. I switch them out every now and then. Have to carry it anyway, why not use it?
    06-27-10 10:06 PM
    I could never get rid of all my albums! Perish the thought. Even though I have put my Linn Sondek LP12 into a closet, I'm not going to dump my record collection, nor do I want to sell that turntable. They are collector's items now.
    Amen Dave, amen.
    06-27-10 10:08 PM

Is there no end to the list of complaints people can find with their S2? I remember how excited people were when they found out about the "quality metal back" that RIM was supplying with the S2! Would you rather have a plastic back? Most people do use some sort of case/cover/etc. for protection and looks...but even safety as the grip can be better. If you like yours "naked," after all it is nice looking case, then scratches are going to happen. If you keep it in a shirt pocket or a holster, I am not sure how it would become damaged? If you want to carry an unprotected phone in pants pockets with keys, change, etc., then common sense says, "expect it!"
    06-28-10 08:52 AM
    Is there no end to the list of complaints people can find with their S2? I remember how excited people were when they found out about the "quality metal back" that RIM was supplying with the S2! Would you rather have a plastic back? Most people do use some sort of case/cover/etc. for protection and looks...but even safety as the grip can be better. If you like yours "naked," after all it is nice looking case, then scratches are going to happen. If you keep it in a shirt pocket or a holster, I am not sure how it would become damaged? If you want to carry an unprotected phone in pants pockets with keys, change, etc., then common sense says, "expect it!"
    Number one: I think the back of the Storm is far nicer than other cell phones--it's metal, and looks quite smart, IMO.

Number two: I use my phone "naked" some of the time and the back looks just like it did the day I bought it. I set it down on formica, wood, and tile surfaces and it still looks BRAND NEW. (To the OP: quityerbitching)
    06-28-10 09:00 AM
    Number one: I think the back of the Storm is far nicer than other cell phones--it's metal, and looks quite smart, IMO.

Number two: I use my phone "naked" some of the time and the back looks just like it did the day I bought it. I set it down on formica, wood, and tile surfaces and it still looks BRAND NEW. (To the OP: quityerbitching)
    I can't believe this, but I actually agree with Dave...a second time!
    06-28-10 09:03 AM
    I can't believe this, but I actually agree with Dave...a second time!
    oh, no! IF we all agree all the time, this place is going to get BORING. hehe.
    06-28-10 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD