Tonight I decided to compare the image quality of some online videos. Since I know that the iPod Touch has an advantage over any BB when it comes to YouTube videos, I decided to level the playing field a bit and make the test more even. So, I went to scifi.com on both of them and played some of the BSG videos. I couldn't believe my eyes, the Storm with OS .113 looked much nicer then the iPod Touch did. The colors were better and the pixels were also smaller and smoother (no jaggies). Anyway, the funny part of it is that the iPod was on wifi and I actually went to view the videos on it first, then decided to compare. What surprised me is that I was thinking to myself... Man, this thing is quick on wifi bringing up the pages. Well, I had to navigate the same site on my Storm (no, the site wasn't cached, I clear my cache after each browsing session) and it was just as fast rendering the mobile scifi site. Granted, it's not a large site, but still... it's just as fast on EVDO RevA as it is on wifi.

Anyhoo, the thing that surprised me the most was the video quality. I got full screen video (edge to edge) on the Storm, but slightly cropped on the iPod Touch. The video did look better on the Storm though... I was surprised because I could have sword that when I used to watch videos on that site before, they used to be a little more grainy.

Thought I'd share...
    03-27-09 10:32 PM
    Your eyes are playing tricks with you lol. My iPod Touch plays videos a lot better than my Storm at the same conversion settings.... I'll check This site out myself....

Edit: yup...iPod touch is better... Storm looks decent but I need HD lol but it looks better than youtube app...
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by SlimJimTight; 03-27-09 at 10:42 PM.
    03-27-09 10:38 PM
    You got a 1st gen or 2nd gen. The Touch I was using is 2nd gen with the POS blue hue screen.

Image quality on my Storm is better then it is on the iPod... maybe you're not converting your other videos correctly. However, that's not what I was discussing here... I was talking about the scifi site videos on this perticular thread.
    03-27-09 10:46 PM
    Your eyes are playing tricks with you lol. My iPod Touch plays videos a lot better than my Storm at the same conversion settings.... I'll check This site out myself....

Edit: yup...iPod touch is better... Storm looks decent but I need HD lol but it looks better than youtube app...
    I don't know what you're talking about, but the storm definitely looks better.
    03-27-09 10:51 PM
    I haven't compared the videos from any sites, but the videos I rip to MP4 look better on the Storm than the iPhone, although I do like that the iPhone is widescreen.

as for Wi-Fi, people make such a big deal out of it being faster, but the reality is that you still have the same processor/memory, whatever hardware limitations that don't allow it to make full use of it. It's like the Storm...compare the browsing speeds on the phone itself compared to on your computer with it tethered. The phone hardware just can't take advantage of speeds even as fast as the 3G. So Wi-Fi has no real advantage. That's why the Wi-Fi almost never gets used on our iPhone. Only times are when downloading large files that aren't allowed over 3G. Basically it gets turned on maybe once a month. It's nice as a backup, but for everyday use it just doesn't make sense to us.
    03-27-09 11:47 PM
    ill take your word for it any day jrsc
    03-27-09 11:52 PM
    still.... the storm "could've" come stock with wifi... TV??? hello???
    03-28-09 12:06 AM
    just to make mention, i have both and i love both...storm and ipod touch!!
    03-28-09 12:07 AM
    Wow why is the picture SOOO much clearer on scifi.com than youtube?

03-28-09 12:24 AM
    I don't doubt it at all, videos from NBC's mobile site look great for me 90% of the time.
    03-28-09 12:36 AM

Because the video file is very very low quality.
    03-28-09 12:37 AM
    That's really one of my biggest Storm complaints is YouTube just flat out sucks.
    03-28-09 01:21 AM
    Comparing one good feature out of tons of bad ones is not nice.

When it comes down to it... Well we all know.

03-28-09 03:56 AM
    Heh, I'm surprised JRSC even visits scifi.com j/k

03-28-09 04:16 AM
    Thanks Civ
    03-28-09 08:28 AM
    YouTube just flat out sucks.
    Fix'd for you.
    03-28-09 10:47 AM
    Getting excellent videos and saving them on my Storm using KeepVid. Image quality is excellent.... Doctor Neutron
    03-28-09 03:11 PM
    Getting excellent videos and saving them on my Storm using KeepVid. Image quality is excellent.... Doctor Neutron
    That's not the point I'm trying to make here. We're talking about streaming videos directly to the device in this thread.
    03-28-09 06:12 PM
    my wife has both she loves it.
    03-28-09 08:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD