I downloaded and installed the OS .148 for Verizon. Supposedly it fixes the "4 hotkeys unlock the phone..." defect.

However... Press a hotkey for 3 seconds, then release and press again and the phone unlocks... This does not bode well for my pockets.

Any advice on how to make this a "Lock BUtton" only function, without setting a password?

Thanks
    06-01-09 10:04 AM
    Stormslider?
    06-01-09 10:06 AM
    how are you managing to replicate this when your phone is in your pocket? seems highly unlikely lol
    06-01-09 10:08 AM
    I downloaded and installed the OS .148 for Verizon. Supposedly it fixes the "4 hotkeys unlock the phone..." defect.

However... Press a hotkey for 3 seconds, then release and press again and the phone unlocks... This does not bode well for my pockets.

Any advice on how to make this a "Lock BUtton" only function, without setting a password?

Thanks
    I'm not having this issue with my lock button. Mine is functioning as it should. I have tried your method with all 4 hot keys, and nothing will unlock my phone but the lock button.
    06-01-09 10:10 AM
    Easy to replicate...

1. Lock your phone
    2. Wait for screen to blank out
    3. Press and release power button
    4. Press Power, count to 3 or 4 and release
    5. Unlocked Phone. Damnit...I just want it to be a lock button only issue like it was on the first OS.
    06-01-09 10:16 AM
    Oh..and as for the pocket thing.. the power button has like, zero resistance on press...so if i squat down to pick something up..it usually ends up unlocking my phone...or if i get in my car...and before you ask..I'm not fat, I'm 5'8, 204 lbs and 10% body fat. But what happens, is if the phone unlocks while in my pocket, it'll end up turning itself off. Now, I could wear it on a hip holster, but that just gets in the way, and it doesn't look right in my uniform..hence the pocket is necessary.

Thanks for the help.
    06-01-09 10:20 AM
    Easy to replicate...

1. Lock your phone
    5. Unlocked Phone. Damnit...I just want it to be a lock button only issue like it was on the first OS.
    I'm not having the problems you're having. Perhaps you have a 3rd party add-in that's messing up your Storm?

Also, holding down power for 3-4 seconds is likely to power off your Storm.
    06-01-09 10:37 AM
    Easy to replicate...

1. Lock your phone
    I can replicate it now... but only with the End/Power button... not with any of the other 4 keys. And I'm pretty sure it was mentioned before that this might not necessarily be a bug. I can see where it would frustrate you, though, if you are really having problems with it unlocking in your pocket.
    06-01-09 10:40 AM
    I'm not having the problems you're having. Perhaps you have a 3rd party add-in that's messing up your Storm?

Also, holding down power for 3-4 seconds is likely to power off your Storm.
    No... he's right. It does work. Try it. Holding down the power button for 3 or 4 seconds did not turn my device off... it did in fact unlock the phone.
    06-01-09 10:40 AM
    Thanks for checking. It's one of those simple bugs like the "mute button used to swap from whatever sounds to vibrate only" but doesn't anymore.
    06-01-09 10:41 AM
    No... he's right. It does work. Try it. Holding down the power button for 3 or 4 seconds did not turn my device off... it did in fact unlock the phone.
    I did try it. Holding down power button for 3+ seconds turns off my Storm (but phone does not unlock). I have a password enabled, and perhaps that causes a difference?
    06-01-09 10:45 AM
    Holding in the power button for 3-5 seconds has unlocked the phone in every build I remember...even .75 I think. Except for .141, where you only had to press it. This is not new.
    06-01-09 10:46 AM
    I did try it. Holding down power button for 3+ seconds turns off my Storm (but phone does not unlock). I have a password enabled, and perhaps that causes a difference?
    Yes... probably because you have a password enabled and the phone cannot unlock without the password being entered.

Holding in the power button for 3-5 seconds has unlocked the phone in every build I remember...even .75 I think. Except for .141, where you only had to press it. This is not new.
    I'm pretty sure I tried this some time ago with .75 and it didn't happen... holding down the End button would just power the phone off, but not unlock it.
    06-01-09 10:47 AM
    To me this is how the lock should work. I think what the OP wants is a manual suspend, which would disable any buttons/screen from waking the Storm up (or unlocking it), sans the button used to trigger suspend. And unfortunately, the Storm doesn't have a manual suspend like other BBs.
    06-01-09 10:49 AM
    Actually, it's not a bug. It's a feature.

The consensus is (for some reason some people like it) that the power button should be able to unlock the phone. Dunno why personally, but it's intentional.
    06-01-09 10:49 AM
    To me this is how the lock should work. I think what the OP wants is a manual suspend, which would disable any buttons/screen from waking the Storm up (or unlocking it), sans the button used to trigger suspend. And unfortunately, the Storm doesn't have a manual suspend like other BBs.
    Right. It is weird that it isn't a feature of this BB, too.

Actually, it's not a bug. It's a feature.

The consensus is (for some reason some people like it) that the power button should be able to unlock the phone. Dunno why personally, but it's intentional.
    Also correct... the consensus was that this would give someone another way to unlock the phone in case the lock button ceased to function after the phone had been locked. I remember reading about that now.
    06-01-09 10:51 AM
    Yep..I like the term "suspend". I don't want the phone to "hibernate" just be unaccessible until I press that specific button again. However, I did just download storm slider..that'll have to do
    06-01-09 10:55 AM
    My lock has been messed up, too, with .148 (and some previous builds). When I press the lock button, the clock spins for a second and then nothing happens. It doesnt lock. I have to then touch the screen or click a button to complete the lock. It is like a two-step process. I might just bring my phone to Verizon and get a new one if I complain enough
    06-01-09 10:56 AM
    I'm pretty sure I tried this some time ago with .75 and it didn't happen... holding down the End button would just power the phone off, but not unlock it.
    I stand corrected. I just tested with a co-worker's Storm still running .75, and if it's locked and I hold in the power button for 3 seconds, it starts the shutdown process.
    06-01-09 10:57 AM
    My lock has been messed up, too, with .148 (and some previous builds). When I press the lock button, the clock spins for a second and then nothing happens. It doesnt lock. I have to then touch the screen or click a button to complete the lock. It is like a two-step process. I might just bring my phone to Verizon and get a new one if I complain enough
    It actually is locked, the screen just hasn't refreshed to show it. If you turn it to landscape, click the screen, or click one of the hard keys the screen updates.

This behaviour happens when you have Memory Cleaning turned on. If you turn it off, the lock is almost instantaneous.
    06-01-09 10:59 AM
    It actually is locked, the screen just hasn't refreshed to show it. If you turn it to landscape, click the screen, or click one of the hard keys the screen updates.

This behaviour happens when you have Memory Cleaning turned on. If you turn it off, the lock is almost instantaneous.
    WOW! Thank you so much! I turned off Memory Cleaning and it now works without me having to touch or click anything after hitting the button. Thank you!
    06-01-09 11:04 AM
    Unfortunately, the Storms didn't come with a holster...so I thought the Lock button was the only way to suspend them (like the holster magnet thingy). So, really, there's no built in way to make the Storm "non-responsive" like the other models are with their holsters, without either A) buying a holster or B) buying other software. My other BB products didn't decide to power off if the buttons got pressed on accident in my pocket, because the suspend/lock function actually did it's job. Maybe that's my biggest problem, is that I can hold the power key down..and the dang thing shuts off completely without my knowledge, just because it's in my pocket. Darn protruding buttons. At least 2 times a day, my phone shuts off like it's under protest, not because the software failed, but because a "feature" worked as it was designed...never mind that the byproduct was a phone that surprises me because it's powered off. Maybe they should make it a 2 step or even 3 step process to power down. It only takes a little key press to turn it back on too... I shut my phone off in a hospital, put it in my pocket and when I pulled it back out, it was on. That's it...I'm going to go naked everywhere, to heck with pockets.

Like one of the posters said, just in case your lock button goes Tango Uniform you can save your 'berry with the power key... But that function is already there if you do a battery pull anyhow.

What I'm really trying to get at, is there someone smarter than me (and the answer is of course yes) that knows how to program the lock button to actually lock a Storm, and have No Other Buttons Work. I guess that's the big question of my boring little day. I'd assume they're a programmer at RIM.

Dear RIM, please put in a function that allows me to LOCK my Storm. If it's a selectable Advanced Option, I'll be okay with that. I'm a user, but not stupid. I know that it's a possiblity because you had it in a previous, although not perfect, software push. In the event of catastrophic button failure, since this device has a removable battery, I hope I can remember how to pull it out. Thank you, customer.
    06-01-09 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD