Does anyone know if it is possible to load the 9530 OS on to a 9500? I would like to have the CDMA functionality, which I am told exists in the hardware, but is not enabled in 9500 software. I have downloaded the leaked 9530 upgrade, and may try it, but would like to know if I am going to brick my 9500 in doing so.
    12-21-08 04:22 PM
    no it will not work you need to have the os for your exact device.
    12-21-08 04:24 PM
    Not its not possible. It will appear like it has been successful, but the Platform will not change, thus you haven't actually upgraded. Each OS is designed for a specific model and none are interchangeable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 04:41 PM
    Ok, is this a limitation of the loader, and it checking what the device model is, or are the 9500 and 9530 actually different? In other words, have RIM just created identical hardware but activated certain features on the 9500 and 9530, which are different between Verizon and Vodafone? I am happy to use the Vodafone version, but, if it is available in the hardware, would like the CDMA radio for when I travel to the U.S., where Verizon and Sprint's CDMA networks are often better than the GSM networks. There is a file in the following directory which I am wondering whether it has any relationship:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9530-v4.7.0.83_P4.0.0.105\CDMA\rim0x04001404.sfi
    Any ideas?
    12-21-08 04:44 PM
    the 9500 and 9530 are different phones. The hardware is different

the os's on the other hand are not COMPLETELY rewritten there is differences but its not like they started from scratch for the 2 separate models.

It is my initial understanding that the 9530 has a cdma radio and the 9500 does not have a cdma radio.
    12-21-08 04:47 PM
    Thanks for that, guys. Bricking it isn't something I am very interested in doing ;-) I have to admit that I work for Vodafone, and am a bit surprised: We own 45% of Verizon Wireless, and it seems like it would have made sense if our users could roam onto their network, which the CDMA radio would have allowed. I will actually ask some of the global enterprise guys what the story is, as they will likely know. I am a humble IT guy with nothing to do with phones, usually, so I appreciate your help (normally I would ask this sort of question to people in our company, but there is some sensitivity around hacking handsets. Go figure ;-).
    12-21-08 05:43 PM
    Ok, I hate to chuckle and say 'I told you so,' but...there is this from the device.xml file, which basically proves what I said, though I still haven't been able to figure out how to get the CDMA radio turned on.
    <os model="9500" radio="CDMA-GPRS" series="Thunder" Colour="True" Theme="Normal" JVMLevel="1.0" Camera="True" VideoRecorder="True" VoiceNotes="True" pttApp="True" Memory="Large" KeyboardType="Virtual" SystemSize="normal" MMS="True" GPS="True" Sound="Tunes8700g" Bluetooth="True" Backdrop="68M_240x260" ThemeSupport="Enhanced" VAD="True" JPN_Input="True">0x06001404</os>
    12-25-08 09:06 PM
    Ok, I hate to chuckle and say 'I told you so,' but...there is this from the device.xml file, which basically proves what I said, though I still haven't been able to figure out how to get the CDMA radio turned on.
    <os model="9500" radio="CDMA-GPRS" series="Thunder" Colour="True" Theme="Normal" JVMLevel="1.0" Camera="True" VideoRecorder="True" VoiceNotes="True" pttApp="True" Memory="Large" KeyboardType="Virtual" SystemSize="normal" MMS="True" GPS="True" Sound="Tunes8700g" Bluetooth="True" Backdrop="68M_240x260" ThemeSupport="Enhanced" VAD="True" JPN_Input="True">0x06001404</os>
    I'm not sure what you're getting at, but you cannot load the OS for the 9530 onto the 9500. It's not happening.
    12-25-08 09:12 PM
    Dunno about loading the 9530 firmware on the 9500, but the 9500 trips the CDMA code if you check CDMAInfo.

It would make sense for them to make a single handset, and limit the firmware so the handset has CDMA disabled on the non-9530's, economies of scale and such in producing massive amounts of the exact same hardware and then disabling it in firmware.
    12-26-08 04:09 AM
    I was just talking to a guy on Vodaphone on a different forum and apparently his Storm does say Qualcom 3G CDMA on the back but as CX said you cant load an OS on any device that it is not meant for no matter how similar they are.

I read on somewhere that while the 9500 has the CDMA chip that it it is somehow disabled. I had assumed they were blowing smoke until talking to this guy. Unfortunately I don't have a link.
    12-27-08 12:32 AM
    I was just talking to a guy on Vodaphone on a different forum and apparently his Storm does say Qualcom 3G CDMA on the back but as CX said you cant load an OS on any device that it is not meant for no matter how similar they are.
    The Vodafone 9500 here has "Qualcomm 3G CDMA" on the back, have taken photos on another camera obviously

Shiny black things really show greasy smears up quite well
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 12-27-08 at 04:07 AM.
    12-27-08 03:32 AM
    Thanks for that, guys. Bricking it isn't something I am very interested in doing ;-) I have to admit that I work for Vodafone, and am a bit surprised: We own 45% of Verizon Wireless, and it seems like it would have made sense if our users could roam onto their network, which the CDMA radio would have allowed. I will actually ask some of the global enterprise guys what the story is, as they will likely know. I am a humble IT guy with nothing to do with phones, usually, so I appreciate your help (normally I would ask this sort of question to people in our company, but there is some sensitivity around hacking handsets. Go figure ;-).
    people have alleged that the inverse of what your asking (vzw storm on gsm carrier) is possible. if the vodafone one is quad band, like ours is, then there technically wouldnt be much difference radio wise. i doubt that vodafone would use the exact same device as VZW. so i would say if you want cdma and gsm, get a vzw one, unlock it and take it to a gsm carrier, then enable the cdma radio on it when in the U.S.

however i dont know how so thats up to the rest of you braniacs.
    12-27-08 01:23 PM
    12-27-08 09:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD