I just got my storm on last Monday and I have been running .75 that came on the phone. I really haven't noticed anything that bad. It does lag sometimes but not intolerable just takes a little patience. Battery life isn't the best but I can deal with it and the blackberry browser speed is worst then my 8830 but I have just been using Opera Mini 4.2 which is lighting fast compared to blackberry's browser. I have seen a lot of negative posts about OS .103 Do you all think it is worth it to upgrade the OS is it that much better? What are the biggest Pros and Cons of .103 compared to the other OS's. I have also read a few people saying that .99 is the best OS out so far is that true? Thanks in advance for your responses....
    02-14-09 12:30 PM
    103 is the best IMO but if you're happy with .75 I would just wait for official if I were you.
    02-14-09 12:33 PM
    Or you can go to the .103 findings thread and do the research yourself.

I'm just sayin'.
    02-14-09 12:34 PM
    Personally, I like OS version 103 very much. I've had all the OS versions (leaked and official) since the Storm was released. The only OS I haven't loaded is Siths Hybrid. Anyways, I like 103 very much. Its quick, and I think very stable. The only issues I've noticed so far is that it froze while testing the video camera, and there seems to be a slight lag when typing on the keyboard. Outside of that, I haven't noticed anything else. Maybe time will tell. But in my opinion, .103 is much better than .75
    02-14-09 12:36 PM
    I would agree with the assessment that .99 is probably the best out of all the OS's since .64 (that came with my phone) There are only a few feature upgrades from .75 to .99...battery life is much better and you also have the full portrait keyboard mode, which some people like. I can't tell you for sure what you should do, but i've always been of the opinion that if it aint broke, don't fix it. if you do upgrade however, .99 is your best bet!
    02-14-09 12:37 PM
    103 is so fast.....love it. No battery problems.

BUT

I'm stuck in HEadset mode...cant make calls or answer unless I have headphones plugged in. Trying everyting.....will see if I can fix it.
    02-14-09 12:40 PM
    I haven't seen negative posts on 103. Hands down 103 is the best version to date. I have tried all the versions released ... 99 was a step in the right direction but major keyboard lag problems to the point of frustration. Problem has been solved in 103. You should install and evaluate for yourself .... .99 is light years ahead of .75 but if you want the best 103 is where its at.
    02-14-09 12:44 PM
    Or you can go to the .103 findings thread and do the research yourself.

I'm just sayin'.

I was going to use my wife as an excuse for my laziness but she demanded me not to put that she gets mad that I spend hours on crackberry. Both on my phone and on the computer. But I guess this is my "Facecrack or Mycrack" that she spends hours on. No but seriously I have read much of the forum and just a lil nervous to load it because of some of the negative posts. But I have it downloaded already so screw it I'm loading it and it is like they say you can always downgrade.

I was nervous to buy the storm to begin with had a 8830 before and loved it. So far I'm not that disappointed with the storm. Miss the keyboard and hope they keep the OS fixes a rolling.
    02-14-09 12:46 PM
    where can I download 103?
    02-14-09 12:48 PM
    where can I download 103?
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    02-14-09 12:50 PM
    Load it, I was waiting for the official too but I didn't think it would take 2 months so I got impatient and loaded .103 the other day and I haven't looked back. Runs so much faster, scrolling is smooth, really haven't had a problem yet.
    02-14-09 12:52 PM
    it'll be awhile before an "official comes out
    02-14-09 12:58 PM
    I'm new to BB too and to the OP I say go for it. .103 is far, far superior then .75 which is slow and clunky. I could tell that before I even upgraded. I understand your concerns, I was scarred too.
    02-14-09 01:01 PM
    I just got my storm on last Monday and I have been running .75 that came on the phone. I really haven't noticed anything that bad. It does lag sometimes but not intolerable just takes a little patience. Battery life isn't the best but I can deal with it and the blackberry browser speed is worst then my 8830 but I have just been using Opera Mini 4.2 which is lighting fast compared to blackberry's browser. I have seen a lot of negative posts about OS .103 Do you all think it is worth it to upgrade the OS is it that much better? What are the biggest Pros and Cons of .103 compared to the other OS's. I have also read a few people saying that .99 is the best OS out so far is that true? Thanks in advance for your responses....
    its all up to u
    02-14-09 02:52 PM
    I think it is leaps and bounds better that .75
    02-14-09 03:24 PM
    I would wait for 30 days....if you have a problem with you phone before then you can get a new replacement...after that its a refurb anyways...and you won't have to worry about downgrading the os...for some reason that logic was what I followed. But, I love .103
    02-17-09 08:09 PM
    Go with the 106 hybrid, you wont be disappointed.
    02-17-09 09:35 PM
    stay with 75, 103 has such a horrible lag when typing it was intolerable. if you can tolerate 75 like you said, then "dont fix it if it aint broke"

seriously, I am as impatient as the next person when it comes to getting the newest, but IMO 103 is horribly painful if you use the phone for email typing or other typing.
    02-18-09 07:27 AM
    I have .103 now and am disappointed it isn't horrible but for my storm it is a down grade from .99. .103 hangs up alot and has a considerable memory leak. Just my opinion.
    02-18-09 07:39 AM
    I have .103 now and am disappointed it isn't horrible but for my storm it is a down grade from .99. .103 hangs up alot and has a considerable memory leak. Just my opinion.
    Its your phone or your setup, I went from 75 to 85 (much improvement) to 99 (much improvement), 103 (small improvement). I had some memory and freeze up problems with both 85 and 99 neither were a big deal. 103 has been totally stable for me with no freezes, good memory management and only a slight lag in the screen response to touch. 75 is ancient.

To the posters that say wait for an official version from Verizon just take a look at when Verizon last released an update for the 8830, mine had a beta on it for a year and they still have not updated the OS.
    02-18-09 08:20 AM
    i love .103 very fast the only thing is that whenever is sync new ringtones the phone wont recognize them in the media manager. i have to use the explorer option to get to them.
    02-18-09 08:36 AM
    .103 the best for me so far
    I found that .99 was ok in most aspects, but it seemed to drain my battery and had a massive memory leak. After a 1 1/2 weeks with .99 my phone needed a battery pull once a day. That is why I went .103

PROS for .103 for me
    1. battery life (not for everyone though)
    2. camera is better
    3. MMS works fine
    4. video problem corrected
    5. phone just seems faster overall

CONS
    1. a little lag from portrait to landscape
    02-18-09 08:58 AM
    .103 is the best software ive installed on my Storm since ive bought it. And ive run nearly every os update. The phone is clearly faster and is responding better. Not one battery pull since ive installed it, which is awesome. Its been running 103 nearly 24 hours, and i cant remember the last time i went a day without a battery pull. My only issue with it, is while the typing is more fluid, it has changed a bit and takes some finger adjustments. but nothing too crazy. Overall, 103 is the best OS ive ran. Hopefully were not far from a perfected OS.
    02-18-09 08:59 AM
    I was going to wait for the Official version. But I am going to go with .103. 75 was ok for a couple weeks, but now it seems to be randomly rebooting everyday and is so slow.
    02-18-09 11:37 AM
    it'll be awhile before an "official comes out
    although no one knows when the next official OS upgrade is going to be released, "awhile" seems like a long, long time. I feel we will be seeing one within the next 4-6 weeks. so the choice still is yours whether to go for an upgrade or not. you could always downgrade to .75 if nothing works.
    02-18-09 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD