02-25-09 02:24 PM
28 12
tools
    I hope RIM is scouring these forums trying to figure out the most important issues to fix with the Storm's OS. So please post the problems that you would like addressed ASAP that would make your Storm experience acceptable.

1. No more typing lag!
    2. Please make SurePress optional, on/off feature!
    3. Stop the memory leak! Why do storm owners have to do battery pulls so often!? Its just not fair.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 11:55 AM
    i agree with typing lag... #2 i see as it won't happen.... it's what makes the storm a storm and not an iphone or any other ts device.
    memory leaks... everyone freaks out over them... it really doesn't hurt you unless you dip to like .0000000000001 mb....
    it doesn't affect speed, performance, etc.
    like i stated before... it's like ram... sure everyone wants 8 gigz of ram.... but i can still do the same sh** on my computer using 128 megs of ram.... and i run robust recording and video programs.... i don't know why people freak over the memory thing.
    02-25-09 11:59 AM
    LMAO!

1. Type a little slower
    2. Can't be done...besides then people would complain about NOT being able to "click". Also kinda hard since the platform of the phone is based around the SurePress.
    3. There is NO such thing as a memory "leak" on this phone only paranoid activists who flip out when their app memory drops a few mb. As to the battery pulls you're on your own. Last OS for me (.103) I had to do 1 (one) batt pull after the post-update batt pull. That was a little under 2 weeks.
    02-25-09 12:03 PM
    I've actually noticed when my memory is low that GPS often won't work. Is this a real correlation or am I just dreaming things?

Also, sometimes when I type and I think I'm pressing a key, it actually doesn't press that key. Maybe RIM should do some testing to see where the user hits when he or she wants a certain letter.
    02-25-09 12:06 PM
    LMAO!

1. Type a little slower
    2. Can't be done...besides then people would complain about NOT being able to "click". Also kinda hard since the platform of the phone is based around the SurePress.
    3. There is NO such thing as a memory "leak" on this phone only paranoid activists who flip out when their app memory drops a few mb. As to the battery pulls you're on your own. Last OS for me (.103) I had to do 1 (one) batt pull after the post-update batt pull. That was a little under 2 weeks.
    The app memory number is not important, but the performance lag that occurs when the memory dips below a certain number is a problem. I notice that when my app memory falls below 30, the performance degrades (slow transitions from landscape to portrait, menus move slow, etc). I see the performance decrease, then check the app memory. That is only resolved with a battery pull every 6-8 hours without any 3rd party apps. That's what needs to be fixed.
    02-25-09 12:11 PM
    LMAO!

1. Type a little slower
    Really.....? O_o
    02-25-09 12:11 PM
    I would like suretype to be optional, too.
    It sure is doable!
    02-25-09 12:13 PM
    if you are doing battery pulls, you are doing it wrong....

02-25-09 12:20 PM
    Huh????????
    02-25-09 12:24 PM
    you don't need to pull your battery....everyone runs around here screaming it, craziness i tell ya

i am on the OG .75 and never pull my battery....

i use quickpull when, and only when, deleting or installing new themes.

my phone runs absolutely fine, without a batt pull every day as some preach...and i have plenty of 3rd party apps on it too...
    Last edited by Caddyman; 02-25-09 at 12:30 PM.
    02-25-09 12:28 PM
    The app memory number is not important, but the performance lag that occurs when the memory dips below a certain number is a problem. I notice that when my app memory falls below 30, the performance degrades (slow transitions from landscape to portrait, menus move slow, etc). I see the performance decrease, then check the app memory. That is only resolved with a battery pull every 6-8 hours without any 3rd party apps. That's what needs to be fixed.
    And I have not had that issue but once with .99...that's it. And at that .99 sucked as an OS to begin with. But my statement holds true, there is NO memory "LEAK" with this phone.
    02-25-09 12:29 PM
    i agree with typing lag... #2 i see as it won't happen.... it's what makes the storm a storm and not an iphone or any other ts device.
    memory leaks... everyone freaks out over them... it really doesn't hurt you unless you dip to like .0000000000001 mb....
    it doesn't affect speed, performance, etc.
    like i stated before... it's like ram... sure everyone wants 8 gigz of ram.... but i can still do the same sh** on my computer using 128 megs of ram.... and i run robust recording and video programs.... i don't know why people freak over the memory thing.
    Out of sheer curiosity, what kind of "robust" recording and video programs are you running with only 128 MB of RAM? I know this is completely off topic but I'm using a quad core system with outboard plug-in processing and 4 GB of RAM and at times I can barely squeeze the program and native plug-ins alone into memory without the sessions I run becoming unstable! You must have one massive page file!

Memory does matter! It affects your ability to run multiple programs at once and how effective and efficient they are at their individual tasks. Not enough memory and the whole thing comes to a screeching halt.
    02-25-09 12:39 PM
    if you crack programs the right way...and recode it can be done. i can still use my p3 with 128 meg of ram with sony products.
    my main machine to record though is an 8 core machine i built myself. 8 gigs of ram. 4 gigs of ready ram.
    and yeah..don't let the os set your page files.... with the older windows...i liked it better b/c they were more stable and let you optimize your system to the way you wanted it run.
    i always build my recording systems and never had a problem with any of them....
    i won't run sh** like pro-tools on my P3 machine...but the P3 and P4 machines I have are really to go online...download music files from labels and make sure nothing's got a virus b4 i bring over to the big boy.

i hate how programs say you need this much ram to be stable...this much of anything... sure the more the better...rigiht? we're taught to believe that and for the most part it's true...but think back to the days when people were recording and mastering on pentium machines...and they did it with no problems....older mac g series... they're not as bangin as the equipment we use today.... and i only had 1 problem with a session that i ran back in the day.... '98 when I was using sonic to master on a P2....

does my 4 and 8 core machines render faster? sure... add effects faster.... of course.... but we know that when you bounce your session down.. it's in real time...i found with my older machines as long as I had no more than the recording program and a sound editor opened at the same time...128 - 256 was more than fine to run the programs.

yes when it comes to computers.... ram matters...but if everyone here freaks over dipping from the 40's to the 30's in system memory...i find it kind of foolish.... i've dipped to less than 10 megs and i didn't experience lag or anything like it.
    02-25-09 12:50 PM
    I need the color depth fixed. It just takes away from the interface so much. The other day I put a portrait shot of myself on the Storm to use while on the go, and it looks like crap on the Storm because of color banding on the backdrop.
    02-25-09 12:52 PM
    I hope RIM is scouring these forums trying to figure out the most important issues to fix with the Storm's OS. So please post the problems that you would like addressed ASAP that would make your Storm experience acceptable.

1. No more typing lag!
    3. Stop the memory leak! Why do storm owners have to do battery pulls so often!? Its just not fair.

I doubt RIM is "souring" these pages. I am new to BB but from what I have read on these pages, bat pulls are not foreign to BBs. As for SurePress, you can select SP, or the old smartphone mulitap. Some of the leaked OSs of course, have full qwerty in portrait-so that demos that at least RIM is looking to give us more options when typing. It is kind of selfish and, I am afraid to say, a little egotistical to want your issues "addressed ASAP." Hope this was a gentle flame
    02-25-09 12:57 PM
    LMAO!

1. Type a little slower
    Only time I have and probably will ever call someone and ***** on this, but since you are making fun of someone might as well start.

1. Type a little slower is your answer? Not sure how to respond to that. But I guess your brain works at half the speed as others, so you don't notice any lag.
    2. Can be done. And by allowing an option, you are only going to attract more customers, not elimate any. So it really doesn't make sense that down the line they won't have it.
    3. At least your right about this even though I am sure your reasoning is wrong.
    02-25-09 01:00 PM
    I doubt RIM is "souring" these pages. I am new to BB but from what I have read on these pages, bat pulls are not foreign to BBs. As for SurePress, you can select SP, or the old smartphone mulitap. Some of the leaked OSs of course, have full qwerty in portrait-so that demos that at least RIM is looking to give us more options when typing. It is kind of selfish and, I am afraid to say, a little egotistical to want your issues "addressed ASAP." Hope this was a gentle flame
    Are you talking about SureType? Yea, you can change SureType setting around, but we want to on/off SurePress (clicker) so that tap on the screen = the same thing as pressing it in.
    02-25-09 01:11 PM
    OK, so I am going to flame myself before others do. I obviously had a brain f**t when talking about being able to select SP and multi-tap, etc. My bad. But RIM just received a big award for it's innovation of SruePress at WES in Barcelona. That's the whole idea behind the Storm. I doubt they would develop an option to turn it off. At least, it probably won"t be one of their higher priorities.
    02-25-09 01:15 PM

1. No more typing lag!
    So do you actually expect that

A) RIM monitors these forums closely
    B) Gives two sh!ts what you have to say
    C) Isn't already aware of these issues (well, only the first one is an issue) and is working on them

And I'll just say that on point #3, while perpetuating the ignorance about what a memory leak is, is also quite a common thing in the WinMo world as well from my understanding.
    02-25-09 01:30 PM

1. No more typing lag!

1) I haven't had typing lag since .103.
    2) Are you sure you mean SurePress, and not SureType?
    3) Memory leaks are ususally caused by third party apps running the background.
    02-25-09 02:05 PM
    As I was told in another thread, RIM doesnt care what's said here. They have their own people for Beta testing and get their results and feedback from them. This forum is one of many and such a small part of the total storm community.
    02-25-09 02:09 PM
    I would just like to assign a custom ring tone to a person. Then put my phone on Vibrate and have it actually vibrate and not ring out loud.
    02-25-09 02:10 PM
    As I was told in another thread, RIM doesnt care what's said here. They have their own people for Beta testing and get their results and feedback from them. This forum is one of many and such a small part of the total storm community.
    I wouldn't say that, but I think for the most part they just use forums like this to gauge the overall sentiment of the BB user community. If there's unrest, they might see if there are any common themes as to people's gripes, and kick that along the line.
    02-25-09 02:12 PM
    SurePress is NOT the same as SureType. It would be nice if at times, you could have to option to type without having to click down on the screen. I agree with the fact that SurePress is what makes the storm unique, but it can still be unique but offer an OPTION to negate the clicking if wanted.

If you think it is selfish to want RIM to address some of the basic issues such as typing lag and low memory after 3 MONTHS of being released, then i would say you should raise your expectations on a TOP OF THE LINE phone that you paid for, and should be able to expect better performance out of.
    02-25-09 02:16 PM
    I would just like to assign a custom ring tone to a person. Then put my phone on Vibrate and have it actually vibrate and not ring out loud.
    There is a free program to address the vibrate and ring problem. I use Buzz me. As for the custom ringtone, there is way to do it, but since I haven't used that feature, I can't really explain how to do it. Sorry. Try doing a search, because assigning ringtones is a topic that comes up frequently.
    02-25-09 02:17 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD