Is The Storm another example of how the new marketing/rolling out of a product is really done?

For the life of me I can never understand when a company does not produce enough of a product when they first introduce it (Wii, Playstations etc�)�Then came the storm and I am beginning to understand�.As of yesterday morning we were all frustrated by the limited amount of storms RIM produced/distributed�.

Could this be the answer-No matter how much testing a company does they never really know how a product is going to do?

These are the only reasons I can think of for a company to limit the release of a product like the storm�Let me know what you think�.

a) Just can�t build enough? (I can�t believe this could ever be a reason)
    b) Wants to create a strong/hype for the product by limiting the number of devices/phones therefore creating even a stronger demand?(like the Wii)
    c) Really does not know what the demand is going to be (whether the product is going to be successful or not) so only builds enough to test the markets?
    The modern day companies like to only build enough of a product for the demand (JIT-Just in time).

I believe the answer is C and this has really backfired on RIM. Yes a certain percentage is going to return the Storms but if you allowed the demand to buy all the phones yesterday then I believe RIM would have done better.

Comments please��..
    11-22-08 08:25 AM
    While those are true, it was a security issue. With the way BIS and BES work it was a decision that protects the end user. Think of it as if a new laptop was going to be released and the webcam that is built in could just be opened by anyone. They could see what ever what going on, and well since that could be done, they have access to you whole computer. With a BB device trade secrets are sent back and forward on these things to have access to such a personal device in such a way that VZW and RIM felt that it could. Well it could have alienated every owners sence of personal privacy and security that RIM offers.
    11-22-08 08:39 AM
    While those are true, it was a security issue. With the way BIS and BES work it was a decision that protects the end user. Think of it as if a new laptop was going to be released and the webcam that is built in could just be opened by anyone. They could see what ever what going on, and well since that could be done, they have access to you whole computer. With a BB device trade secrets are sent back and forward on these things to have access to such a personal device in such a way that VZW and RIM felt that it could. Well it could have alienated every owners sence of personal privacy and security that RIM offers.
    And losing that data security confidence would have been the end of the "business oriented" perception that Blackberry has spent years cultivating.

HH
    11-22-08 08:48 AM
    So are you saying that Rim/Verizon wanted to limit the number of devices that are/were exchanging this infomation over the air at one time...?
    So instead of having (for example) 500,000 devices doing this they limited the rollout to(again a example) 50,000 to make it more managable?
    11-22-08 08:51 AM
    While those are true, it was a security issue. With the way BIS and BES work it was a decision that protects the end user. Think of it as if a new laptop was going to be released and the webcam that is built in could just be opened by anyone. They could see what ever what going on, and well since that could be done, they have access to you whole computer. With a BB device trade secrets are sent back and forward on these things to have access to such a personal device in such a way that VZW and RIM felt that it could. Well it could have alienated every owners sense of personal privacy and security that RIM offers.
    WOW ... where did that come from?

My opinion was that the short supply was a marketing scheme for lines and short supply on Friday. Generally, people want the product even more if they can't have it.
    11-22-08 09:42 AM

My opinion was that the short supply was a marketing scheme for lines and short supply on Friday. Generally, people want the product even more if they can't have it.

See this thread for more info:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/rea...n-delay-99485/
    11-22-08 10:04 AM

not true. I'm now going to buy a used curve rather than renew my contract. I need a new phone and don't want to wait. I will weigh my options later on whether or not I leave verizon or not, I was very dissappointed in their actions regarding this device
    11-22-08 10:09 AM
    I think it's B with a litle bit of C

This is the new wave of marketing which is profitable for the manufacturer and retailer on both ends a) they sell out quick and get major publicity and b) they limit there production cost by not making an enourmous supply.

It's all a play on supply and demand, more demand and little supply=big business dolllars
    11-22-08 10:14 AM
    I'd have to say that was not the case with the nintendo wii, that was just the inability to produce enough consoles, look at their target audience, young kids, and families... Not exactly the type of people who go crazy cause the boy down the street has one and then suddenly want to get one themselves

As far as the storm there's lots of speculation as to why, but it seems like its just a bunch of people guessing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 01:17 PM
    I think it's because they ran out of black paint....yeah thats it.
    11-22-08 01:24 PM
    They forgot to lock up the GPS

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 01:38 PM
    I think the main reason is, and lets face it, people camping out all night and fighting for a limited supply buys news time! And makes people want it even more! Here in California the supply was low!! The verizon i went to had to call the police and one woman even fainted!! Luckly I was one of the last to get one before the chaos!!!
    11-22-08 01:44 PM
    Companies normally manufacture small-moderate quantities of devices at first, then begin ramping it up once the process gets more efficient and hardware quality stabilizes. It's a risk to manufacture 500K first generation devices to find out there is a hardware bug in all of them.
    11-22-08 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD