This is probably a dumb question, but how can I switch to load apps to the memory card instead of the device "app" memory. Someone please tell me that there is that much limited storage for apps on the Storm. I haven't loaded much on here as I've only had it a week! Help the new Storm user please!!!
    02-10-09 04:29 PM
    cant do it
    02-10-09 04:40 PM
    This would be like you trying to run programs on your computer without any RAM, and telling your computer to just use the HDD. Not gonna happen.
    02-10-09 04:48 PM
    This would be like you trying to run programs on your computer without any RAM, and telling your computer to just use the HDD. Not gonna happen.

Actually, that's a bad analogy...right now it is as if all of our apps are being stored in RAM as well as run from it, instead of stored on the HDD and only moved to RAM while running...

If WinMo devices are capable of it, then surely RIM could figure it out. However, we are currently stuck with our current method, which does not allow installation of applications to the SD card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-09 04:53 PM
    Thanks for the info. I knew that was the answer but thought that there may have been something I was missing.
    02-10-09 05:17 PM
    winmo devices can run apps off of the memory card. its actually one of their key benefits over other smartphones. if blackberries could sync with mac (which i don't use so i don't really care) and could run apps off of flash memory, Canada would invade Mexico and use it as south Canada.
    02-10-09 05:38 PM
    Try the logmaid app that can be found in the OTA apps thread if you are for more free application memory. It supposedly cleans your event log every hour to give you more free space although I cannot speak from personal experience as to whether this program really works or not.

Good Luck!
    02-10-09 07:03 PM
    Id rather see the Storm using the 1gb of device memory for apps. Thats the way it shouldve been from the beginning. I know the small app memory has something to do with legacy apps but maybe its time to move forward.
    02-10-09 07:07 PM
    Actually, I am led to believe that the Storm is somewhat different. The "RAM" memory that we use to load and run programs appears to just be part of the 1GB of 'system' memory that the Storm has. If what I have understood is correct, then RIM has the ability to slide how much is used to run programs and how much is used for storage. I believe that there are fundamental issues with running programs from the SD Card, but if they could give us more room to load and run programs, I for one would not miss that 'storage' space at all.
    02-10-09 08:20 PM
    I wouldn't miss that storage either I got 8 gigs of storage why would I care if the device memory is used up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-09 10:15 PM
    Maybe some one could make a 3 party app giving us the control of how much of the ram memory to use for apps . I agree i would give most of the internal memory up and just use the storage card for every thing else.

Brandon
    02-10-09 10:49 PM
    the memory and RAM are different. if you read the specs from blackberry.com it separates them. same as on a PC. having a bigger hard drive doesn't make the phone run better. also, if you plug the device into the PC and fill the device memory the phone doesn't run any slower, etc.

"Memory

* Expandable memory – support for microSD™ card
    * 1GB onboard memory
    * 128 MB Flash (flash memory)
    "

BlackBerry Storm - BlackBerry Storm Details - BlackBerry Storm Specifications
    02-10-09 10:49 PM
    That makes more since . I know some of the older pda's had a slider that you allowed you to manage between device and ram memory . I thought it would be strange for rim to use this method because the old slider was a horrible to deal with .

Why do people say do delete any unused app then ? Is it because the OS has to constantly take inventory of all the installed apps? I don't understand if an app is closed why would it eat up ram ?
    02-10-09 11:05 PM
    Does anyone know if you can do this with the Curve 8310? I have a 4GB memory card installed but am at my limit for DLing applications. I have cleared off everything that I don't need - but I work for a mobile marketing company so I'm always adding new apps!
    02-11-09 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD