To: Larry Conlee. RIM
    Chief Operating Officer, Product Development and Manufacturing.
    cc: Robin Bienfait. RIM
    Chief Information Officer.

cc: Charlie Falco. Verizon
    Vice President - Customer Service Operations

May 11th 2009

Last year I realized that to function well in my current job I would need to finally embrace a smartphone/pda. Most in my industry own iPhones, and the remainder generally own Blackberries. As a past AT&T customer, and a satisfied current Verizon customer I had no interest in an AT &T iPhone. It seemed the only calls ever dropped were to colleagues on iPhones and AT&T. Which part of that duo was at fault I can only speculate.

As my Verizon contract neared renewal, I started researching available smart-phones. There was a lot of buzz about the Blackberry Storm. I visited my Verizon store to check out the �First touch screen Blackberry.� The store had two units on display. Selecting one, I turned it horizontally which left the the icons going the wrong way. The same thing happened when I tried the other display unit. However, I noticed that by this time the icons on first phone had flipped correctly. I turned it to portrait mode and again the icons remained in landscape. Eventually there was a slow flip. I decided to time the change. On these display phones it took a minimum of 8 seconds to change orientation.

Soon another customer came over to try out the other display model. We began experimenting with the applications and eventually both phones locked up. One displayed a blank white screen and the other showed half the screen like snowy TV and the other half black. We looked at each other, shook our heads and proceeded to leave. Not a single sales person spoke to us and it was obvious why.

Just to be sure my previous experience was not due to some erroneous setup by the Verizon staff. I visited two more stores. At one store the phones were already crashed. At the other, customers were standing laughing at the phones' erratic behaviors. I did not need to try them. That a manufacturer and retailer could have these products on showroom display was unbelievable.

Further research on the net took me to a website of Blackberry users who noted that the phone was problematic. However, posts suggested that an upgrade of the operating system would solve the problems. In December I came across a post stating that the OS had been updated to.75 and that the phone was �just great.� I returned to Verizon to see for myself. The phone it was indeed better. It was on and appeared to function. It was the end of the year, and I had to buy my new phone immediately if I wanted it as a tax deduction for 2008. I bought the phone.

At this point I admit, I was pleased to have available to me a non Apple product. As most of the software I use is not ported for the Apple, the accounting departments and I are the only users of PC machines. The Storm added to my feeling of uniqueness within this environment. Sadly, this vanity is what prompted me to keep the phone beyond the the 30 days return period. In another situation, I would have smashed it to pieces and made some sort of concept art out of it. I'd probably display it under the name �Frustrations caused by vanity�

Two months later I traveled to Vietnam for 5 weeks. I was able to get the phone unlocked by Verizon Global so I could use a local SIM. In Vietnam I again ran into the ubiquitous iPhone. Due to the poor performance of the Storm, I was forced to alter my roll in group work. Here are examples. Vietnam's communication systems are spotty.(but they are improving rapidly.) However, wireless Internet is available everywhere. Fortunately, the others in my group with iPhones that were able to make use of this and complete our necessary tasks. In addition, accessing images and media on my phone was so slow that we just shunted those tasks off to other colleagues with iPhones. I did try to do a small audio presentation using .mp3 files and the BB media player, but since the FF/RW control bar only shows up erratically--on its own--it gave me no real ability to move forward or rewind to specific points. I had to cancel the idea of using the handset, and had to drag in a laptop. The phone was supposed to be capable of that small task but could not, and still can not do it.

Another problem is the camera. Every time I use the camera the phone restarts after taking 2-3 pictures. It takes 5 minutes to restart so is unusable during that time. This is a very major glitch, especially with moving subjects as they can travel quite far in 5 minutes. Picture that.

Thinking there must be some cure for the problems with the phone, I again went to the BB Internet community. I searched and found that there exist �leaked� versions of BB operating systems. BB users have been installing these on their phones and many claim to �love their phones with OS .109 or .122 or .141 or whatever might be the current leaked version. In my frustration at being stuck with this phone for the next year and half, I decided to try a leaked OS. There was a change. It gave me better selection for cut and paste, and a full portrait keyboard. But the failings of the phone are still in brilliant relief. Its sound and signal reception are abysmal compared to my old LG VX8300. It's restarts make my Vista laptop start-ups seem rocket like. The lock/unlock takes so long, I hit the button again thinking maybe I didn't press hard enough. This of course takes me into a lock/unlock lag loop. It is kinda funny when you think of it. Not so funny when you're trying to work. Further, since getting this phone I have completely given up on using it in any way to browse the Internet. Two to three minutes each of �Requesting.., Loading data..., Requesting Script...etc� make it useless to me. When you have a smart-phone and it makes more sense to go to an Internet cafe to get information rather than use the phone, then what good is it?

Here are a some questions for you at RIM/Blackberry and Verizon Wireless to ponder:

To: RIM.

With first time customers having experiences like those listed above, What emotions do you think are elicited in these customers by the RIM/Blackberry logos? With the release and sale of the Storm in its current incarnation, do you think these customers are likely to trust RIM/Blackberry. Further, what would be their overall opinion and expectations of future RIM/Blackberry products? Lastly, has this product produced any brand loyalty?

An unsolicited comment overheard, �That Storm is going to sell a lot of iPhones.�

To: Verizon Wireless Customer Service.

What is the best way to try and retain previously satisfied long term customers who at present will switch to any other carrier as long as their plan is at least 25� less that yours. In addition, when media buys including Billboards and commercials from Verizon still tout the mediocre product and services that ruined these customers' satisfaction. Does this suggest to the market that Verizon it trying to rectify the problems? Further, does market research show that your commercials are overcoming negative reviews by actual Storm owners, and their word of mouth responses to prospective Storm buyers?
    05-13-09 10:13 AM
    That was a pretty fun read, I would like to hear the response.

IF you get one.
    05-13-09 10:18 AM
    I doubt they'll read it. But I agree a new OS is urgently needed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 10:19 AM
    Will have zero effect, the Storm was the third highest selling smartphone last quarter behind the iPhone at #2 and the 8300 Curve series at #1.
    05-13-09 10:22 AM
    I'm telling you people. Everyone needs to mail VZW and RIM a bunch of toilet paper as a present. One roll from each person will be a bunch at their doorstep. Please include a short note which indicates that they should pretend the roll is the Storm and "proceed with the usual action of use"... i.e. wiping their *** with it.
    05-13-09 10:25 AM
    i don't know about rim, but vzn is VERY good about resposnding to these things if sent to the right people/department.
    05-13-09 10:27 AM
    I'm telling you people. Everyone needs to mail VZW and RIM a bunch of toilet paper as a present. One roll from each person will be a bunch at their doorstep. Please include a short note which indicates that they should pretend the roll is the Storm and "proceed with the usual action of use"... i.e. wiping their a** with it.
    That ******* funny, I don't care who you are!

05-13-09 10:31 AM
    I would LOVE to read their response! Although I imagine it would be vauge and skirting the questions..
    05-13-09 10:32 AM
    While the display Storms were pretty horrible, one has to take into account how many times those phones were tampered with daily. Kids and inexperienced adults would put those phones thru smartphone torchure! lol. Programs were opened a gazzilion times a day and never closed properly, which makes for a MUCH SLOWER AND BUGGY device than what I currently have sitting on my desk.

I'm not denying your personal experiences with the Storm since owning it, but experiences with the Storm now cannot be compared to the display devices. I'm sure others who owned the Storm when they were first put on display would also agree that their phone was nowhere near as bad as the one in store. Personally .75 has been great for me; I LOVE MY STORM. I look forward to the new OS tho.

The phone just never struck me as that bad to where ppl would take these drastic measures. I still have love for RIM and thank them for coming out with such a great device! I guess others have had journeys a lot more bumpy than mine....
    05-13-09 10:32 AM
    Sorry you hate the phone so much, but as you said, you had incredible dissatisfaction with the product in your initial 30 day period and chose to keep it. They gave you an out, which you now regret not taking. I don't see where there's any question you asked that will help solve your issues, you are not offering any recommendations or asking for any response. Just complaining. Which you are free to do as you see fit, but if you send the letter, you are not asking for any response, so don't be surprised if you don't get one.

But as for constructive comments:
    Since you specifically direct questions to Verizon, they should be on the To: line instead of as Cc:

in before move
    05-13-09 10:36 AM
    the letter shouldve been addressed to VZW primarily. RIM has been trying to update the OS since inception, thats why the leaks keep appearing. its VZW, and its within their rights and QC standards, that isnt approving a new os version.

and yes, i also beleive every os weve had has been a slightly cleaner version of **** than the one before. the real problem is that the os is based off 4.7 when the storm shouldve gotten its own iteration.
    05-13-09 10:39 AM
    I'm telling you people. Everyone needs to mail VZW and RIM a bunch of toilet paper as a present. One roll from each person will be a bunch at their doorstep. Please include a short note which indicates that they should pretend the roll is the Storm and "proceed with the usual action of use"... i.e. wiping their a** with it.
    LOL Love it.
    05-13-09 10:41 AM
    Will have zero effect, the Storm was the third highest selling smartphone last quarter behind the iPhone at #2 and the 8300 Curve series at #1.
    I have to agree with this. The Storm is doing well, and apparently most users are very happy with it, and with .75. We can complain all we want, be we represent a very small % of Storm users, and as far as I can tell, Verizon doesnt have much to gain by rushing and OS upgrade. Many are buying the Storm and are happy with it. I dont think we will see an official upgrade anytime soon.
    05-13-09 10:44 AM
    I have to agree with this. The Storm is doing well, and apparently most users are very happy with it, and with .75. We can complain all we want, be we represent a very small % of Storm users, and as far as I can tell, Verizon doesnt have much to gain by rushing and OS upgrade. Many are buying the Storm and are happy with it. I dont think we will see an official upgrade anytime soon.
    I personally think that a lot of the ppl who are not very happy with it are the one's who hop to every leaked OS that becomes available. You train yourself to never be fully satisfied that way, and for that reason I just stick to .75. It's been fine, and I'll appreciate the official even more by jumping straight from .75.

Those who download every leak will not be AS PLEASED with the next official. Thats a fact...
    05-13-09 10:49 AM
    Love storm on .75. Wdn't use 4 work.

BTW most problems u listed i either never had or don't as result of device Help/CB/VZW tech support.
    05-13-09 11:12 AM
    Sorry you hate the phone so much, but as you said, you had incredible dissatisfaction with the product in your initial 30 day period and chose to keep it. in before move
    Don't you think the majority of us chose to keep the phone in hopes of timely software updates? I guess we were all fooled.
    05-13-09 11:15 AM
    Don't you think the majority of us chose to keep the phone in hopes of timely software updates? I guess we were all fooled.
    Not all of us. Not everyone is unhappy with the phone. Some ppl need to be reminded of that from time to time...
    05-13-09 11:20 AM
    just posting to see if eventually you will get an answer form this letter lol
    05-13-09 11:31 AM
    I hope to see a response too. This letter was written very well and is deserving of acknowledgment.
    05-13-09 11:33 AM
    WOW! Very well said. Be sure to post a response if you get one. It'd be hard for them to ignore this one.
    05-13-09 12:08 PM
    WOW! Very well said. Be sure to post a response if you get one. It'd be hard for them to ignore this one.
    Keep thinkin that. lol.
    05-13-09 01:33 PM
    Vzw does allow you to trade in a storm after the 30 days. Its the only phone that vzw allows this.

05-13-09 02:56 PM
    Vzw does allow you to trade in a storm after the 30 days. Its the only phone that vzw allows this.

there's nothing official on that...prolly a case by case basis.
    05-13-09 03:03 PM
    I'm telling you people. Everyone needs to mail VZW and RIM a bunch of toilet paper as a present. One roll from each person will be a bunch at their doorstep. Please include a short note which indicates that they should pretend the roll is the Storm and "proceed with the usual action of use"... i.e. wiping their *** with it.
    I am down with that. I think we should all do something like this.
    05-13-09 08:47 PM
    I think its funny how everyone says "you can't believe anything a rep says" yet some people believed the reps when they said a new OS would come out soon and kept a device they would have otherwise returned within the 30 days.

Don't believe ANYTHING until you see it yourself.

05-13-09 09:09 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD